Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streaming Spotify
24-03-2016, 10:45 (This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 10:47 by rich28.)
RE: Streaming Spotify
(23-03-2016 12:33)Cebolla Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 10:30)rich28 Wrote:  OK, one further suggestion but before I go on make sure BubbleUpNP Server is installed on your NAS and using it you’ve created an OpenHome renderer for your DAC. Having done that, I suggest you install Linn Kazoo as the control point – this is a longstanding Apple app which I gather is now also available for Google and Amazon devices. Next install Linn’s Songcast on your PC (or Mac) and use this to send Spotify’s audio output to your DAC. That's it. Yup, as always with these things there's a chance this may not work, but its worth trying... Tidal and Qobuz incidentally are incorporated into Kazoo (and Lumin's control point app) so in comparison it should be very straightforward to get these streaming services to playback on your DAC
No, unfortunately it won't work. The OpenHome renderers provided by the BubbleUPnP Server helper software do support the OpenHome Streaming Services (for TIDAL & Qobuz), but they don't support Songcast.
Ok I stand corrected - many proprietary UPnP devices are unable to see Songcast. However, I installed an OpenHome renderer on a Windows PC and this could - as available from http://openhome.org/pages/use/. Also, 'sc2mpd' provides Songcast support for 'upmpdcli' so, as I understand, it can also work with Unix/Linux hosts - see: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/sc2mpd.html. I'm aware that BubbleUPnP Server has no role in Songcast per se but personally I feel that its a good idea to having it running so as to have an openHome platform and to fix any UPnP oddities
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2016, 14:36 (This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 14:45 by Cebolla.)
(24-03-2016 10:45)rich28 Wrote:  Ok I stand corrected - many proprietary UPnP devices are unable to see Songcast. However, I installed an OpenHome renderer on a Windows PC and this could - as available from http://openhome.org/pages/use/. Also, 'sc2mpd' provides Songcast support for 'upmpdcli' so, as I understand, it can also work with Unix/Linux hosts - see: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/sc2mpd.html. I'm aware that BubbleUPnP Server has no role in Songcast per se but personally I feel that its a good idea to having it running so as to have an openHome platform and to fix any UPnP oddities
The OpenHome Open Standard is actually an extension to standard UPnP originally developed by Linn for its DS streamers. So it's probably more accurate to describe OpenHome streamers as 'proprietary', rather the standard UPnP ones.

I certainly agree that OpenHome has certain advantages over standard UPnP, but even with OpenHome it's all in the implementation and can also have 'oddities'. For example the BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome renderer not supporting Songcast (though this is probably due to a technical issue since the BubbleUPnP Server is ultimately simulating an OpenHome render for a real physical standard UPnP renderer). Last I heard, the excellent upmdcli UPnP client front end for mpd, you mentioned, doesn't 'fully' support OpenHome as it cannot access the OpenHome Streaming Services for Tidal & Qobuz.
24-03-2016, 16:53
(24-03-2016 14:36)Cebolla Wrote:  I certainly agree that OpenHome has certain advantages over standard UPnP, but even with OpenHome it's all in the implementation and can also have 'oddities'. For example the BubbleUPnP Server's OpenHome renderer not supporting Songcast (though this is probably due to a technical issue since the BubbleUPnP Server is ultimately simulating an OpenHome render for a real physical standard UPnP renderer). Last I heard, the excellent upmdcli UPnP client front end for mpd, you mentioned, doesn't 'fully' support OpenHome as it cannot access the OpenHome Streaming Services for Tidal & Qobuz.

Being an OpenHome renderer does not mean implementing every possible feature. Songcast, music services such as TIDAL and Qobuz, Radio, are all optional.