Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can stream radio content to one renderer but not the other…
16-03-2016, 14:57 (This post was last modified: 16-03-2016 14:58 by simoncn.)
RE: I can stream radio content to one renderer but not the other…
I have received my IQAudIO Pi-DAC+ and I have installed MoodeAudio on my Pi2 with the Pi-DAC+ set as renderer. I am able to use MinimServer/MinimStreamer to play the BBC HLS streams on the DAC+ with no transcoding (48 kHz AAC) or with *:wav transcoding (48 kHz 16-bit WAV). I am using the "Playlist" (OpenHome) UPnP renderer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2016, 16:18
(16-03-2016 14:57)simoncn Wrote:  I have received my IQAudIO Pi-DAC+ and I have installed MoodeAudio on my Pi2 with the Pi-DAC+ set as renderer. I am able to use MinimServer/MinimStreamer to play the BBC HLS streams on the DAC+ with no transcoding (48 kHz AAC) or with *:wav transcoding (48 kHz 16-bit WAV). I am using the "Playlist" (OpenHome) UPnP renderer.

That's prompted me to explore this issue further. I've changed the MinimStreamer setting back to '*:wav' and started thinking about the components of my setup. In doing this I now realise that BubbleUnP Server has an advanced settings page. A setting here called 'Transcode high-res audio to 44.1/16 or 48/16 FLAC had been unticked, I ticked it. This appears to have been a crucial move - BBC HLS streams now work on the DAC+Big Grin (although i haven't tested no transcoding @ 48 kHz AAC yet)
16-03-2016, 22:06
OK. Maybe I am not fully understanding what components I need in the system?

So do I need BubbleUnP Server running on the Synlogy NAS as well as Minim?
16-03-2016, 23:35
(16-03-2016 22:06)chrisjlm Wrote:  OK. Maybe I am not fully understanding what components I need in the system?

In my setup (with Minimserver as the UPnP server and MoodeAudio as the UPnP renderer), there is no need to run BubbleUnP Server. It sounds like your setup is similar to mine. Which control point are you using and can you play any radio streams?
17-03-2016, 11:45 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2016 12:01 by rich28.)
(16-03-2016 23:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(16-03-2016 22:06)chrisjlm Wrote:  OK. Maybe I am not fully understanding what components I need in the system?

In my setup (with Minimserver as the UPnP server and MoodeAudio as the UPnP renderer), there is no need to run BubbleUnP Server. It sounds like your setup is similar to mine. Which control point are you using and can you play any radio streams?

I have the same set up as this but as you gather have also been running BubbleUnP Server, which I had felt was enhancing UPnP and OpenHome capabilities. With the possible exception of BubbleUnP Server (????) being linked with this issue of playing back BBC HLS streams everything was working fine like this and my control point (Linn Kazoo) could see MoodeAudio as the UPnP renderer. However, given what's been mentioned I've now uninstalled BubbleUnP Server. In my case this appears to have created a problem in that Linn Kazoo can longer see the MoodeAudio UPnP renderer. I've restarted both the pi (MoodeAudio UPnP renderer) and my synology NAS, which is running Minimserver, but this makes no difference - the UPnP renderer is still not visible. So here's the question: should I go back to running BubbleUnP Server?
17-03-2016, 12:44
(17-03-2016 11:45)rich28 Wrote:  I have the same set up as this but as you gather have also been running BubbleUnP Server, which I had felt was enhancing UPnP and OpenHome capabilities. With the possible exception of BubbleUnP Server (????) being linked with this issue of playing back BBC HLS streams everything was working fine like this and my control point (Linn Kazoo) could see MoodeAudio as the UPnP renderer. However, given what's been mentioned I've now uninstalled BubbleUnP Server. In my case this appears to have created a problem in that Linn Kazoo can longer see the MoodeAudio UPnP renderer. I've restarted both the pi (MoodeAudio UPnP renderer) and my synology NAS, which is running Minimserver, but this makes no difference - the UPnP renderer is still not visible. So here's the question: should I go back to running BubbleUnP Server?

I am not sure why you removed BubbleUPnP Server as from your previous post it sounded like everything was now working OK for you (presumably with BubbleUPnP Server installed).

I am using Kinsky with the Moode renderer (without BubbleUPnP Server) and the Moode renderer is discovered by Kinsky. Can you try using Kinsky and check whether you can play BBC HLS streams to the Moode renderer using Kinsky without BubbleUPnP Server?

If this works, there is some incompatibility between Kazoo and the Moode renderer (upmpdcli/libupnp). There was a recent fix to Kazoo for a similar issue (see this post) but perhaps there is another problem that is specifically affecting the version of upmpdcli/libupnp that is packaged within Moode.
17-03-2016, 16:48 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2016 16:54 by rich28.)
(17-03-2016 12:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 11:45)rich28 Wrote:  I have the same set up as this but as you gather have also been running BubbleUnP Server, which I had felt was enhancing UPnP and OpenHome capabilities. With the possible exception of BubbleUnP Server (????) being linked with this issue of playing back BBC HLS streams everything was working fine like this and my control point (Linn Kazoo) could see MoodeAudio as the UPnP renderer. However, given what's been mentioned I've now uninstalled BubbleUnP Server. In my case this appears to have created a problem in that Linn Kazoo can longer see the MoodeAudio UPnP renderer. I've restarted both the pi (MoodeAudio UPnP renderer) and my synology NAS, which is running Minimserver, but this makes no difference - the UPnP renderer is still not visible. So here's the question: should I go back to running BubbleUnP Server?

I am not sure why you removed BubbleUPnP Server as from your previous post it sounded like everything was now working OK for you (presumably with BubbleUPnP Server installed).

I am using Kinsky with the Moode renderer (without BubbleUPnP Server) and the Moode renderer is discovered by Kinsky. Can you try using Kinsky and check whether you can play BBC HLS streams to the Moode renderer using Kinsky without BubbleUPnP Server?

If this works, there is some incompatibility between Kazoo and the Moode renderer (upmpdcli/libupnp). There was a recent fix to Kazoo for a similar issue (see this post) but perhaps there is another problem that is specifically affecting the version of upmpdcli/libupnp that is packaged within Moode.

Sorry I should have left BubbleUPnP alone. The thing is I made a mistake suggesting that I got BBC HLS streams to playback on the pi using the setting “*:wav16;44" and it transpires that ticking the “Transcode high-res audio to 44.1/16 or 48/16 FLAC” box on BubbleUPnP doesn’t seem to make any difference to this. I was curious as to how you got the thing to work and I was attempting to replicate your setup. Anyway, I’ve now reinstalled BubbleUPnP, so I’m back to where I was before. (Incidentally, Kinsky worked without this but I was unable to control the volume level).

As you may know, there is a setting on Moode Audio called ‘Audio information’. If no value is assigned to ‘stream.transcode’ play back of BBC HLS streams work and in terms of BBC 6 Radio Music input processing details stated in ‘Audio information’ inform that the source is http://####:9790/minimstreamer/*/R6 and that the rate is 128kbps. Likewise BBC HLS streams work using the setting “*:mp3;320k” the source is reported to be: http://####:9790/m ... eamer/*/R6/$!transcode-,320k.mp3. Audio information also informs that the rate of this 320kbps.

If however *:wav16;44 or *:wav is assigned to stream.transcode no sound is heard and with the exception of stating a source there are no input processing details. If *:wav is entered in stream.transcode the source is reported to be http://####.102:9790/minimstreamer/*/R6/...scode.wav, while if *:wav16;44 is used the source is apparently http://####:9790/m ... eamer/*/R6/$!transcode-16,44.wav.

This issue has hounded us enough - my fault, sorry. Ideally I would like stream.transcode to have a setting that if needs be could capture the sound quality of let’s say a FLAC, but unless I hear otherwise I’m going to use: “*:mp3;320k”.
17-03-2016, 18:57
I'm still not clear what you have working at the moment.

In a recent post you said you had the BBC HLS radio stations playing with *:wav (presumably with BubbleUPnP Server active). Is this correct or do you still need to use *:wav16;44?

If the stations aren't playing with *:wav and BubbleUPnP Server active, it seems likely that this is somehow related to BubbleUPnP Server.

After changing transcode settings, it is a good idea to restart the control point and the renderer in case one of these has cached the previous settings, which are encoded within the stream resource URL as you have noticed. If BubbleUPnP Server is active, you should also restart this.
17-03-2016, 20:22
(17-03-2016 18:57)simoncn Wrote:  I'm still not clear what you have working at the moment.

In a recent post you said you had the BBC HLS radio stations playing with *:wav (presumably with BubbleUPnP Server active). Is this correct or do you still need to use *:wav16;44?

If the stations aren't playing with *:wav and BubbleUPnP Server active, it seems likely that this is somehow related to BubbleUPnP Server.

After changing transcode settings, it is a good idea to restart the control point and the renderer in case one of these has cached the previous settings, which are encoded within the stream resource URL as you have noticed. If BubbleUPnP Server is active, you should also restart this.

Apologises, I've got myself into pickle and by the sounds of it haven't been clear. When I first raised this issue I mentioned that using the *:wav setting the BBC HLS streams worked for one of my UPnP renderers, a Libratone wireless speaker, but not the other, my Pi running Moode Audio. Subsequent to that in one of my posts I mentioned that I had managed to get BBC HLS streams working on Pi using the *:wav16;44 setting , which as it transpires was a mistake - I can't get BBC HLS streams to playback to the Pi using this setting.

Hence, as it stands my Pi isn't playing ball with either *:wav or *:wav16;44. I have restarted BubbleUPnP Server, the control point and the pi, but this doesn't change anything.

However, if I assign *:mp3;320k to stream.transcode I can get BBC HLS streams to playback on both of my renderers, the Pi and my Libratone wireless speaker and I'm therefore going to stick with that setting
17-03-2016, 21:50
(17-03-2016 20:22)rich28 Wrote:  Apologises, I've got myself into pickle and by the sounds of it haven't been clear. When I first raised this issue I mentioned that using the *:wav setting the BBC HLS streams worked for one of my UPnP renderers, a Libratone wireless speaker, but not the other, my Pi running Moode Audio. Subsequent to that in one of my posts I mentioned that I had managed to get BBC HLS streams working on Pi using the *:wav16;44 setting , which as it transpires was a mistake - I can't get BBC HLS streams to playback to the Pi using this setting.

Hence, as it stands my Pi isn't playing ball with either *:wav or *:wav16;44. I have restarted BubbleUPnP Server, the control point and the pi, but this doesn't change anything.

However, if I assign *:mp3;320k to stream.transcode I can get BBC HLS streams to playback on both of my renderers, the Pi and my Libratone wireless speaker and I'm therefore going to stick with that setting

Thanks for clarifying. I have the same setup except for Kinsky instead of Kazoo and no BubbleUPnP Server. All transcoding settings are working for me. It might be worth asking about this on the BubbleUPnP forum.