Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some startup help needed
06-03-2016, 20:48
RE: Some startup help needed
(06-03-2016 20:32)jacobacci Wrote:  That worked, thanks a lot Simon

Took me a moment to figure out that I had to extract the files before uploading them to the Synology directory. But now I am not getting any more error messages and SOX seems to be doing it's magic, even on the DSF files.

Nirvana would be if the files didn't all get converted to 96kHz but would follow the scheme I outlined in the first post

- Determine the maximum samplerate the renderer can handle (=sr_max)
- do not modify MP3, m4a and PCM up to sr_max. If needed convert FLAC to WAV
- resample multiples of 44.1 (88.2, 176.4, 352.8kHz etc) to highest multiple of 44.1 WAV the renderer can handle
- resample multiples of 48 (96, 192, 384kHz etc) to highest multiple of 48 WAV the renderer can handle
- DSF: convert to highest multiple of 44.1 WAV the renderer can handle

Maybe something for a future release of minimserver / streamer.
If it would do something along these lines, it would be an audiophile's dream quickly.

I'm glad to hear this is working now.

As I said in my earlier post, it isn't possible for a UPnP server or control point to determine the maximum sample rate that a UPnP renderer can handle because the UPnP protocol doesn't provide this information.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2016, 09:37
I could see two ways around the issue of determining the maximum samplerate of the UPnP renderer:
- User manually tells MinimStreamer what the maximum samplerate of the renderer at IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is. This could be configured via MinimWatch.
- Put a general field for maximum bandwith in MinimWatch. This would be a parameter that is valid for all renderers in the network, but it would be easily changeable
Solution two would probably be sufficient for most users.
07-03-2016, 13:38
(07-03-2016 09:37)jacobacci Wrote:  I could see two ways around the issue of determining the maximum samplerate of the UPnP renderer:
- User manually tells MinimStreamer what the maximum samplerate of the renderer at IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is. This could be configured via MinimWatch.

This wouldn't help because in UPnP the server is not able to change the sample rate based on which renderer is selected. The server sends the control point a selection of sample rates and the conbtrol point chooses one of these sample rates at the time that it selects a renderer to play the file. Your suggestion would therefore need to be implemented by the control point rather than the server.

Quote:- Put a general field for maximum bandwith in MinimWatch. This would be a parameter that is valid for all renderers in the network, but it would be easily changeable
Solution two would probably be sufficient for most users.

The stream.transcode property already provides the capability to control this and I don't think it would be a good idea to add another property that modifies the stream.transcode settings.
07-03-2016, 15:16
The quibble I have with the current solution is that all samplerates are resampled to the same target sample rate, also samplerates that would not have to be resampled.
The reason I would prefer a more differentiated transcoding / resampling behaviour for downsampling is that for a given processor power, resampling quality is best with integer resampling ratios and for a given quality, processor load is lowest for integer ratios. In my case, MinimStreamer runs on a Synology NAS, where processor power is a scarce resource.
I wasn't thinking of introducing a new property that overrides stream.transcode.
Regarding the stream.transcode property, am I correct in assuming that the parameters in the field are interpreted by MinimStreamer and then passed on to ffmpeg in a format ffmpeg understands? If that were the case, one could simply have a specific parameter that goes into the stream.transcode field that characterizes the max_samplerate of the transcoding table to be used and MinimStreamer would then use the appropriate transcoding table when giving transcoding parameters to ffmpeg. Someting like
flac:wav24;96m
flac:wav24;192m or
flac:wav16;44m
For DSF the problem does not exist, as the optimal output samplerates are multiples of 44.1, independent of whether the input file is DSD64, 128 or 256.
Pls don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be difficult, just looking to get optimum quality for given resources. If what I propose is not doable, I am very happy with MinimStreamer being able to use SOX (big step up from ffmpeg).
08-03-2016, 12:02
MinimStreamer is passing an exact sample rate to ffmpeg, not a maximum. There is no "table" in either MinimStreamer or ffmpeg.

A possible future enhancement would be to enable stream.transcode to take into account the input sample rate. For example, it might be possible to specify something like:

flac;192:wav;96, flac;176:wav;88

to transcode from 192 kHz to 96 kHz and from 176.4 kHz to 88.2 kHz. I think this would enable you to do what you want.
08-03-2016, 12:50
Simon,
That solution would give me exactly the flexibility I am looking for. I could basically build and maintain the transcoding "table" myself.
Two things to maybe consider
- the number of parameters that can be defined would need to be sufficiently high to cover all the samplerates above the renderer's max_sr
- currently the highest commercially available input samplerates are 352.8 and 384 (for DXD files)
- so for a renderer with 48kHz max_sr, 7 samplerate parameters would need to be specified (88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384, DSF)
Thanks a lot for considering my request.
10-09-2016, 11:19
Hi
I am new on this forum but have used minimserver,streamer for a while and bumps on your thread

Anyone knows how you specifie convert from dsf to wav with soxr filter precision 28 ?

i am now using this and it is function good ,but want to test if this will work

now it looks like this dsf:wav24;176

Hope you can help me

QNAP TS451+,FFMPEG 3.1.3 Minimserver 0.8.4 update 88 Minimstreamer 0.5.25
10-09-2016, 12:22
See this post.
10-09-2016, 20:55
(10-09-2016 12:22)simoncn Wrote:  See this post.

Thank's i will try this Smile
12-09-2016, 09:53
(06-03-2016 16:35)simoncn Wrote:  You are getting this error message because the ffmpeg provided by Synology doesn't support libsoxr. You need to download an ffmpeg static build for Linux with libsoxr support and specify the full path to this build in the stream.converter property. For a suitable build, see this page.

I don't suppose there is a static build version for ARM under Synology somewhere?