Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media player recommendations , anyone
11-02-2016, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 21:26 by n3mmr.)
Media player recommendations , anyone
I'm looking to update my network players, and I think I'd like to replace my current three by a single one.

So, what do you think would be the best, or at least a very good, player?

I'm looking at Oppo bdp103 and Dune right now, but I'd really like to hear about your experiences and what other brands you'd recommend!

The oppo is of course nice since it will also play disks, but I'm not adverse to having a separate media player.

I'd like the box to handle bit perfect passthru for any digital audio format from minimserver or USB sticks or network shares, HDMI out as well as spdif, while also managing any hd video format I might encounter.

High quality analog audio out would be nice, so I could take the player to my summer cottage to use with my old hifi gear
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 18:45
RE: Media player rekommendationsbrev, anyone
(11-02-2016 17:40)n3mmr Wrote:  I'm looking to update my network players, and I think I'd like to replace my current three by a single one.

I'd like the box to handle bit perfect passthru for any digital audio format from minimserver or USB sticks or network shares, HDMI out as well as spdif, while also managing any hd video format I might encounter.

High quality analog audio out would be nice, so I could take the player to my summer cottage to use with my old hifi gear

I recently did this:

1. Cubox-i4Pro ordered direct from Solid-Run.com - they ship internationally. Was about $139.00 US. This device has an optical S/PDIF out, as well as USB and HDMI. Selectable outputs via an embedded web browser (see Volumio below). Device has embedded Wi-Fi, which works, but I chose to add an Apple Airport Express ($100 US) as a wireless bridge for better signal strength.

2. Downloaded a free bootable application image from Volumio.org (donation ware, like MinimServer). Supports OpenHome uPnP/DLNA and works really well. Nothing to configure or understand - you image the included microSD card, insert into the Cubox and plug in the power. Seamless, gapless playback from MinimServer.

3. Added a Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC ($149.00 US) to analog audio out. I also chose to add a Schiit Wyrd USB hub/repeater ($100.00 US).

Total cost: approx. 500.00 US. incl. the extras I chose to add.

I also added a USB thumb drive to experiment with playing music from it as a media server, as well as an iFi-Audio iPurifier 2 (again, to experiment), but you don't need these things. I would attach an a photo so you can see how small this setup is, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload a photo :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply