Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crazy, convoluted work around for long rescan times from network share?
07-02-2016, 17:20 (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 21:48 by tboooe.)
Crazy, convoluted work around for long rescan times from network share?
I understand that doing a rescan from a network share is no where as fast as from a local drive. In my case, rescanning takes even longer since my network share is accessed wirelessly. Rescanning my 40k song library takes hours. However, I think I have a crazy work around that I would like to ask if its possible.

I have a Qnap nas that also runs Minimserver. Because I think the music sounds better with Minimserver running on my pc I don't use the Qnap as a music server. However, rescanning the library from the Qnap is much faster. I assume when a rescan is done the results are written to a file that is read each time Minimserver is restarted after a shutdown. Can I copy the file from the Qnap and use it in my PC? I assume I would have to correct the music path information and some other info but I am hoping this would be an easy find and replace task.

I know this work around is convoluted but it would still take far less time than waiting for the PC to finish a rescan.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 21:53 (This post was last modified: 08-02-2016 08:07 by simoncn.)
RE: Crazy, convoluted way to speed up rescan from network share?
(07-02-2016 17:20)tboooe Wrote:  I understand that doing a rescan from a network share is no where as fast as from a local drive. In my case, rescanning takes even longer since my network share is accessed wirelessly. Rescanning my 40k song library takes hours. However, I think I have a crazy work around that I would like to ask if its possible.

I have a Qnap nas that also runs Minimserver. Because I think the music sounds better with Minimserver running on my pc I don't use the Qnap as a music server. However, rescanning the library from the Qnap is much faster. I assume when a rescan is done the results are written to a file that is read each time Minimserver is restarted after a shutdown. Can I copy the file from the Qnap and use it in my PC? I assume I would have to correct the music path information and some other info but I am hoping this would be an easy find and replace task.

I know this work around is convoluted but it would still take far less time than waiting for the PC to finish a rescan.

I understand what you are suggesting and it might be possible to make it work if both machines have identical operating systems and file systems. In your situation with different operating systems and file systems on the two machines, I don't think it would be possible to convert one file into the other by using a "find and replace" approach.

You could check this for yourself by compariing the file that is written on the QNAP with the file that is written on the Windows PC. If you can find a way to transform the QNAP file so that the result compares byte-for-byte identical to the Windows file, then you would be able to use the approach you are suggesting.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply