Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlist Strategy ... what to use?
05-02-2016, 17:30
RE: Playlist Strategy ... what to use?
Hi,

you could use iTunes and export the playlists as m3u using this:

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

Should you have issues with UTF-8, you can convert the m3u files with a shell-script (found in the german Synology forum):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#delete old playlists from my playlist-directory on the DS
#my "music" folder is mounted on my Mac on "/Volumes/music/"
rm /Volumes/music/playlists/*

#export latest playlists from iTunes and write it directly into the playlist directory of the DS
#iTunesExport replaces my iTunes path with the music-path on the DS "/volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Music/"
java -jar /Applications/iTunesExportScala-2.2.2/itunesexport.jar -outputDir=/Volumes/music/playlists/ -musicPath="/volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Music/" -fileTypes=ALL

#convert all m3u-files from MAC UTF8 to UTF8
for x in /Volumes/music/playlists/*.m3u
do
iconv -f UTF8-MAC -t UTF8 "$x" > "$x".utf8
rm "$x"
mv "$x".utf8 "$x"
done

There was also a guy who put this into an Apple-Script to automate the complete process from iTunes.
It's not online anymore but I have it.
If you want to have it, send me a PM as I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post a public link.[/quote]

Claas
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2016, 17:42
RE: Playlist Strategy ... what to use?
(05-02-2016 17:30)claas Wrote:  Hi,

you could use iTunes and export the playlists as m3u using this:

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport/

Should you have issues with UTF-8, you can convert the m3u files with a shell-script (found in the german Synology forum):

Code:
#!/bin/bash

#delete old playlists from my playlist-directory on the DS
#my "music" folder is mounted on my Mac on "/Volumes/music/"
rm /Volumes/music/playlists/*

#export latest playlists from iTunes and write it directly into the playlist directory of the DS
#iTunesExport replaces my iTunes path with the music-path on the DS "/volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Music/"
java -jar /Applications/iTunesExportScala-2.2.2/itunesexport.jar -outputDir=/Volumes/music/playlists/ -musicPath="/volume1/music/iTunes/iTunes Music/" -fileTypes=ALL

#convert all m3u-files from MAC UTF8 to UTF8
for x in /Volumes/music/playlists/*.m3u
do
iconv -f UTF8-MAC -t UTF8 "$x" > "$x".utf8
rm "$x"
mv "$x".utf8 "$x"
done

There was also a guy who put this into an Apple-Script to automate the complete process from iTunes.
It's not online anymore but I have it.
If you want to have it, send me a PM as I'm unsure if I'm allowed to post a public link.

Claas
[/quote]

Great minds think alike... I am already using that app with iTunes. Works really well, but I wanted something to build playlists outside of iTunes with my parallel FLAC collection. This is mostly because my streamers of choice struggle with ALAC files - especially high-res files.

Not sure what I need the script for... the app already allows you to specify which playlists to export from iTunes, a target folder for export and even allows you to change leading paths to match the target NAS device. Really sweet app.

For awhile, I was using my ALAC library and transcoding to WAV/24 with MinimStreamer and SoX, but with recent versions, this seems to break gapless playback, so I went back to my FLAC collection.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply