Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
15-04-2021, 01:00
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
I am successfully running two instances in a single jail on TrueNAS 12.

I created the two uniquely named home directories as you did, then installed the first instance in the first directory, used MinimWatch to change the http.port from 9790 to 9792 and the ohnet.port from 9791 to 9793, relaunched the instance, and then installed the second instance in the second directory (which then used the original 9790 and 9791 port numbers).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2021, 08:13 (This post was last modified: 15-04-2021 08:19 by simoncn.)
Is this MinimServer 0.8 or MinimServer 2? This approach is required for MinimServer 0.8 and can be used as a workaround if the automatic port assignment in MinimServer 2 cannot be used (i.e., on FreeBSD).
15-04-2021, 08:38
I used it originally with MinimServer 0.8 as it was required and then continued to use it when I did a clean install with 2 (if I recall I didn't test automatic port assignment in 2 but assumed it wouldn't work). 0.8 was on FreeNAS 11 and 2 was on FreeNAS 11 and then TrueNAS CORE 12 when that replaced FreeNAS.
15-04-2021, 13:41
(15-04-2021 08:38)abooker Wrote:  I used it originally with MinimServer 0.8 as it was required and then continued to use it when I did a clean install with 2 (if I recall I didn't test automatic port assignment in 2 but assumed it wouldn't work). 0.8 was on FreeNAS 11 and 2 was on FreeNAS 11 and then TrueNAS CORE 12 when that replaced FreeNAS.

Yes this is on TrueNAS CORE 12, and MinimServer2. I'll try playing with the start one instance, adjust ports via MinimWatch, then start second instance. Although i'm also playing with just have multiple jails. Multiple jails is slightly easier to configure i'm just not sure if i can reuse the same license with multiple jails, but will test. I'm only looking to have a total of two instances.
01-06-2021, 00:43 (This post was last modified: 02-06-2021 18:44 by Riflen.)
Is anyone successfully running Minimserver 2 in a jail on XigmaNAS 12.2 (FreeBSD 12.2)?

I can get the server to run and reach the Status web page running on TCP 9790, however the server never seems to run a service on UDP 1900 and so it's not detectable by Minimwatch or any control points on my network. There's no firewall enabled in the jail.

I'm using the ohnet 1.30.3937 build provided by airflow and tried server versions 187 and 193. I've turned up ohnet debugging but nothing relevant is written to the minimserver.log.

The jail has functioning networking as far as I can tell. I'm even running a Subsonic instance within it. I can run Minimserver successfully from Windows hosts on my network. Any pointers would be appreciated.

EDIT: It seems UDP 1900 is only used by Minimstreamer and isn't related to the problem I'm having.
This would strongly indicate it's a network problem of some kind. I'll keep looking in that direction.

2ND EDIT: I solved it. The guide on installing Minimserver in Linux containers gave me a clue as to what might be wrong. The basic jail networking option, although functional in every other way, is no good for UPnP even though all hosts involved were in the same subnet. I had to "Enable virtual network stack (vnet)" for the jail. Thanks for the thorough docs.
16-06-2021, 16:52
upgrade from 2.0.16 to 2.0.18
I did some tests regarding the upgrade from MinimServer 2.0.16 to 2.0.18, which is not covered by the integrated upgrade procedures but instead has to be installed manually.

I can report that the new version 2.0.18 works fine and the installation instructions given in this thread are still valid and exactly the same.

No new version of ohNet is being used so the precompiled libraries can be used again for this version.
28-07-2021, 18:11
Dear people thank you so much for this detailed guide and for the binaries.

After the latest update (minimserver-update-195) minimserver is no longer working.

It appears a new version of ohnet(linux-intel) compiled for freebsd is required

(version ohnet(linux-intel)-1.32.4280.zip is needed)

As expected it exits with the error ¨libm.so.6"not found"

Is there a way to
1. block minimserver from autoupdating using ./startc ? this way we kan keep the older version that actually works
2, Compile the freebsd libraries for ohnet ourselve? Or is that a lot of hassle (I'm no expert but I know may way around a bit.

Please let me know, it was a real pleasure having this working on truenas running in a jail

Thanks

Daf
28-07-2021, 19:05
To disable automatic updates, set the .autoUpdate property to false.
29-07-2021, 10:03 (This post was last modified: 29-07-2021 10:05 by dafart.)
Dear Simon, thanks for your reply, I should have found it myself since it is clearly written in de tutorial.

i managed to reinstall and prevent the update from happening but this time the "License error 6a" error showed up (it did not the first time I configured this jail).
Adding the address files as described earlier in this thread solved that issue and I'm currently re-scanning my database.
So 2.0.18 update 187 is the version that still works with the ohnet binaries provided in this thread.

I found airflow's ohNet-build4FreeBSD github contribution and tried to use these scripts in linux but this did not work.
So I installed a VM image with FreeBSD and I'm gonna try to build the libs from there, however I have no experience at all and Iḿ not really sure where to start.
The open home forum page appear to be down

From my understanding these scripts should be used on a FreeBSD system that already has a working minimserver installed? And I run the script after the autoupdate has been done?

Iḿ willing to spend some time in this project and I would love some help as to where to start.

Kind Regards

Daf
29-07-2021, 10:23
(29-07-2021 10:03)dafart Wrote:  I found airflow's ohNet-build4FreeBSD github contribution and tried to use these scripts in linux but this did not work.
So I installed a VM image with FreeBSD and I'm gonna try to build the libs from there, however I have no experience at all and Iḿ not really sure where to start.
The open home forum page appear to be down

Hello dafart,

thanks for pointing out the fact that there is a new ohnet-lib in use in the current version of MinimServer. I typically notice this last because my server is always on and therefore the auto-update function runs in my installation rarely.

Don't worry about the building of the ohnet-libs. I will look into it as soon as possible (most likely still this week) and let you know when I can provide a precompiled image here, just as I did it with all the versions before.

Regards,
airflow