Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
[Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
30-01-2020, 17:53 (This post was last modified: 30-01-2020 17:55 by imush.)
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD
I think I found the culprit. Looks like the fault is with the router IGMP/multicast handling (Eero). I have an eero wifi system. FreeNAS is on physical ethernet, of course, connected to eero via a dumb hub.

I am not an expert on IGMP, but my understanding from router forums is that IGMP group membership expires after some time (probably 30 min), and the router just drops it. It may have started after some eero software update.

If I drop the jail from the router and then readmit it, minimserver is visible again. So it is not the fault of FreeNAS and its vnet config.

Question is, what to do. Eero but has no interface to configure anything about multicast packet handling. I would hate to replace the eeros or add more hardware with yet another router behind them, because they are otherwise working well for me.

Perhaps I can make a cron script with some upnp query over the network to run every few minutes and keep it alive this way? Any such command line tool?

Another question is why other DLNA/UPnP servers seem to work (e.g. MiniDLNA or my old Synology's media server). Maybe they do something that minimserver does not do to re-announce themselves periodically?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Tutorial] Installing MinimServer on FreeNAS or FreeBSD - imush - 30-01-2020 17:53