Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of AlbumArtist
18-01-2016, 17:33
Use of AlbumArtist
I am pleased to be using MinimServer as it suits classical music very well.
I am however baffled by apparent restrictions on use of the AlbumArtist tag. I have been able to get the Album and Artist to be displayed together under Albums but I cannot display Album and AlbumArtist together. Even better would be the ability to display Album, AlbumArtist and Artist all together.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2016, 19:03
RE: Use of AlbumArtist
(18-01-2016 17:33)PSH Wrote:  I am pleased to be using MinimServer as it suits classical music very well.
I am however baffled by apparent restrictions on use of the AlbumArtist tag. I have been able to get the Album and Artist to be displayed together under Albums but I cannot display Album and AlbumArtist together. Even better would be the ability to display Album, AlbumArtist and Artist all together.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to give.

This depends on your control point. Which control point are you using?
18-01-2016, 21:59
NaimUniti is the device.
I think I have it sorted but I don't quite understand some of the guidance on the website.
I added AlbumArtist to the indexTags (no other changes). I also added AlbumArtist to Album.displayFormat = {$album$artist$albumartist}.
This all seems to work and indeed there is clear software intelligence when artist and album artist are the same - they are not duplicated which is good.
However, I don't quite understand how the statement that "The Artist index provides main artist information. It contains AlbumArtist tag values for albums that have this tag and Artist tag values otherwise" quite fits with what is apparently going on.
18-01-2016, 22:24
(18-01-2016 21:59)PSH Wrote:  NaimUniti is the device.
I think I have it sorted but I don't quite understand some of the guidance on the website.
I added AlbumArtist to the indexTags (no other changes). I also added AlbumArtist to Album.displayFormat = {$album$artist$albumartist}.
This all seems to work and indeed there is clear software intelligence when artist and album artist are the same - they are not duplicated which is good.

This is by design to handle this scenario and similar cases.

Quote:However, I don't quite understand how the statement that "The Artist index provides main artist information. It contains AlbumArtist tag values for albums that have this tag and Artist tag values otherwise" quite fits with what is apparently going on.

This statement describes how AlbumArtist is used when MinimServer builds the Artist index menu. You are (for the purposes of this discussion) concerned with how AlbumArtist can be used to populate the "artist" metadata that MinimServer sends to the control point for each track.
19-01-2016, 11:52
I am not sure I fully understand.
All my tracks are tagged with Artist and AlbumArtist. Sometimes these contain the same information and as already observed there is useful intelligence that only displays one instance of the information even though the $album$artist$albumartist is requested.
In the case where the Artist and Album Artist information is different, the text suggests that the AlbumArtist information "overwrites/replaces" the Artist information and one might expect duplication or for the above intelligence to be applied. This is not the case as one gets the three bits of information so I'm happy but confused!
19-01-2016, 12:08
(19-01-2016 11:52)PSH Wrote:  I am not sure I fully understand.
All my tracks are tagged with Artist and AlbumArtist. Sometimes these contain the same information and as already observed there is useful intelligence that only displays one instance of the information even though the $album$artist$albumartist is requested.
In the case where the Artist and Album Artist information is different, the text suggests that the AlbumArtist information "overwrites/replaces" the Artist information and one might expect duplication or for the above intelligence to be applied. This is not the case as one gets the three bits of information so I'm happy but confused!

The text you are referring to is describing how the menu entries in the Artist index are constructed when both Artist and AlbumArtist information are present. The Artist index is the list of artists that is shown when you select Artist from the top-level menu.
24-01-2016, 19:57
(19-01-2016 12:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-01-2016 11:52)PSH Wrote:  I am not sure I fully understand.

The text you are referring to is describing how the menu entries in the Artist index are constructed when both Artist and AlbumArtist information are present. The Artist index is the list of artists that is shown when you select Artist from the top-level menu.
24-01-2016, 19:59
Very good - thank you - I now understand - all to do with the construction.