Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request- rescan individual libraries?
09-01-2016, 18:15
Feature request- rescan individual libraries?
I have a very large music library that continues to grow. In Minimserver I have multiple libraries set up (Library #1 and #2). Would it be possible to have a feature to allow rescanning by library? If I add some tracks to Library #2, I don't want to have to wait for Minimserver to rescan both Library #1 and #2. Since all of my music is on a NAS, rescanning of about 40k songs takes a about 40mins. If this feature was possible I could create a third library (Library #3) and just use this for new music. By keeping it small and reserved only for newly added music rescan would be much quicker. What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 18:41
RE: Feature request- rescan individual libraries?
(09-01-2016 18:15)tboooe Wrote:  I have a very large music library that continues to grow. In Minimserver I have multiple libraries set up (Library #1 and #2). Would it be possible to have a feature to allow rescanning by library? If I add some tracks to Library #2, I don't want to have to wait for Minimserver to rescan both Library #1 and #2. Since all of my music is on a NAS, rescanning of about 40k songs takes a about 40mins. If this feature was possible I could create a third library (Library #3) and just use this for new music. By keeping it small and reserved only for newly added music rescan would be much quicker. What do you think?

Thanks for this suggestion. I will consider it but I am not optimistic that this will be possible. A better solution for long rescan times would be for MinimServer to automatically detect changes to individual files or folders and just rescan the updated files or folders. This is on my "wish list" but it requires some major design changes and I don't have any time estimate for when it might be available.
09-01-2016, 18:47
Thank you for considering it. Have you thought about starting a funding effort to support development of these types of features lb. I am sure a lot of people would support this.
09-01-2016, 19:03
(09-01-2016 18:47)tboooe Wrote:  Thank you for considering it. Have you thought about starting a funding effort to support development of these types of features lb. I am sure a lot of people would support this.

MinimServer is a personal project and there is a limit to how much time and effort I can put into it. I hope people find it useful despite its limitations.
09-01-2016, 21:03 (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 21:15 by Mihaylov.)
(09-01-2016 18:15)tboooe Wrote:  I have a very large music library that continues to grow. In Minimserver I have multiple libraries set up (Library #1 and #2). Would it be possible to have a feature to allow rescanning by library? If I add some tracks to Library #2, I don't want to have to wait for Minimserver to rescan both Library #1 and #2. Since all of my music is on a NAS, rescanning of about 40k songs takes a about 40mins.
Мy music library have more than 50k items on two SSD. Rescanning take 25 sec.
Another NAS have 16.5k items on one HDD. Rescanning take 40 sec.
I do rescanning from MinimWatch or from Lumin app.
Maybe I don't understand something?
09-01-2016, 21:10
(09-01-2016 21:03)Mihaylov Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 18:15)tboooe Wrote:  I have a very large music library that continues to grow. In Minimserver I have multiple libraries set up (Library #1 and #2). Would it be possible to have a feature to allow rescanning by library? If I add some tracks to Library #2, I don't want to have to wait for Minimserver to rescan both Library #1 and #2. Since all of my music is on a NAS, rescanning of about 40k songs takes a about 40mins.
Мy music library have more than 50k items on two SSD. Rescanning take 1-2 min.

Right, those SSDs are local to the machine running Minimserver which will definitely be quicker. As I mentioned my library is on a NAS which is important to me because the music is shared by my kids throughout the house using various devices and apps.
09-01-2016, 22:07
(09-01-2016 21:10)tboooe Wrote:  Right, those SSDs are local to the machine running Minimserver which will definitely be quicker. As I mentioned my library is on a NAS which is important to me because the music is shared by my kids throughout the house using various devices and apps.

MinimServer is designed to be run on the NAS that holds the music library. You will get much better performance if you do this.
10-01-2016, 01:47
(09-01-2016 22:07)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer is designed to be run on the NAS that holds the music library. You will get much better performance if you do this.

Right but according to my tests, this speed by running Minimserver on the nas comes at the expense of sound quality.
10-01-2016, 01:51
(09-01-2016 21:10)tboooe Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 21:03)Mihaylov Wrote:  
Мy music library have more than 50k items on two SSD. Rescanning take 1-2 min.

Right, those SSDs are local to the machine running Minimserver which will definitely be quicker. As I mentioned my library is on a NAS which is important to me because the music is shared by my kids throughout the house using various devices and apps.
I agree with Simon - install MinimServer on this NAS!
10-01-2016, 01:58 (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 01:59 by Mihaylov.)
(10-01-2016 01:47)tboooe Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 22:07)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer is designed to be run on the NAS that holds the music library. You will get much better performance if you do this.

Right but according to my tests, this speed by running Minimserver on the nas comes at the expense of sound quality.
OK. Then use at least gigabit interfaces in the local network.