Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music content directory on a QNAP
01-01-2016, 13:23
Music content directory on a QNAP
Hi
I'm just setting up my QNAP TS-253 Pro, bought with the main purpose of running Minimserver with my Linn DS.
I've followed the instructions at http://minimserver.com/install-qnap.html and have successfully reached setting up Minimserver bullet 2. It says:
"The QPKG installer sets the initial content directory to /share/Multimedia or /share/Qmultimedia, depending on your model of QNAP NAS."
Running Filestation on the QNAP, I can see four directories: home, homes, Public and Web. So it looks like QPKG didn't do this.

Q1 Is this a problem? Do the instructions need updating?

Assuming this isn't a problem, I guess I need to create a directory myself. I haven't moved any music onto the NAS yet so I'm free to choose the best name, location etc. This is where I show my ignorance on how networking and security works. I ideally would like a directory on the QNAP that everyone in my house can easily access, obviously that the Linn DS can access without hassle, but that is still behind a firewall so that someone in Russia can't just read or worse alter my files.

Q2 Where do I put my music folder (I'm planning just to name it "Music")? In the root directory, one of the existing directories or should I create the "Mulitimedia" folder that QPKG should have already created?

Q3 Do I create a folder or a shared folder?

Q4 Assuming the latter, what are the best options for all the settings that are available on the "Create a shared folder" window?

Thank you!

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2016, 23:24 (This post was last modified: 01-01-2016 23:26 by simoncn.)
RE: Music content directory on a QNAP
(01-01-2016 13:23)mark_gb Wrote:  Hi
I'm just setting up my QNAP TS-253 Pro, bought with the main purpose of running Minimserver with my Linn DS.
I've followed the instructions at http://minimserver.com/install-qnap.html and have successfully reached setting up Minimserver bullet 2. It says:
"The QPKG installer sets the initial content directory to /share/Multimedia or /share/Qmultimedia, depending on your model of QNAP NAS."
Running Filestation on the QNAP, I can see four directories: home, homes, Public and Web. So it looks like QPKG didn't do this.

Q1 Is this a problem? Do the instructions need updating?

Thanks for letting me know about this. From what you say, it seems this has changed in the latest QNAP firmware. When I installed this firmware, I was updating an older installation and this left the previous folder structure in place. I will do further investigations and update the instructions as necessary.

Quote:Assuming this isn't a problem, I guess I need to create a directory myself. I haven't moved any music onto the NAS yet so I'm free to choose the best name, location etc. This is where I show my ignorance on how networking and security works. I ideally would like a directory on the QNAP that everyone in my house can easily access, obviously that the Linn DS can access without hassle, but that is still behind a firewall so that someone in Russia can't just read or worse alter my files.

Q2 Where do I put my music folder (I'm planning just to name it "Music")? In the root directory, one of the existing directories or should I create the "Mulitimedia" folder that QPKG should have already created?

Q3 Do I create a folder or a shared folder?

Q4 Assuming the latter, what are the best options for all the settings that are available on the "Create a shared folder" window?

Thank you!

Mark

It's fine to create a folder named Music. This should be a new shared folder. I suggest you uncheck the 'Media Folder' option because leaving it checked is likely to cause the QNAP firmware to do frequent automatic scans of the folder for new media files (not useful if your server is MinimServer). It is probably a good idea to restrict read-write access to yourself and allow read-only access to other users (including "guest"). You should be safe from people in Russia unless you have enabled a VPN on the NAS.
02-01-2016, 10:45
That's very helpful, thanks Simon.

I can't see a 'Media folder' option. Hopefully that means it isn't a media folder by default?

It's just occurred to me that maybe I'm seeing differences because I set the NAS up as "business" rather than "home". That's because I thought it would keep things simpler and avoid me being inundated by apps I don't need.

Mark
02-01-2016, 11:15
(02-01-2016 10:45)mark_gb Wrote:  That's very helpful, thanks Simon.

I can't see a 'Media folder' option. Hopefully that means it isn't a media folder by default?

It's just occurred to me that maybe I'm seeing differences because I set the NAS up as "business" rather than "home". That's because I thought it would keep things simpler and avoid me being inundated by apps I don't need.

Mark

I am not familiar with "business" setup. I will try this some time and compare the results with "home" setup.

The Media Folder option is on the page in File Station where you create a shared folder (at the bottom, under Advanced Settings). I am using QTS 4.2.0.

If you are not seeing the Media Folder option on this page, perhaps this isn't displayed when you have done a business setup. I would be surprised if this is the case.
02-01-2016, 13:11
Thanks Simon

I am using QTS 4.2.0. In the create shared folder window, under Advanced Settings I have:
Guest access right: (Drop down menu)
[tick box] Hide network drive
[tick box] Lock file (Oplocks)
Greyed out: [tick box] SMB Encryption
[tick box] Enable network recycle bin
(Indent) [tick box] Restrict the access of Recycle Bin to administrators only for now
[tick box] Enable sync on this shared folder

As you say, maybe the difference is due to the business setup.

Mark
02-01-2016, 16:39
This is somewhat different from what i am seeing:

Guest access right: (Drop down menu)
[tick box] Media Folder
[tick box] Hide network drive
[tick box] Lock File (Oplocks)
[tick box] Enable sync on this shared folder