Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm running latest version of MinimWatch, so why do I get 'Newer version available'?
22-12-2015, 17:12
I'm running latest version of MinimWatch, so why do I get 'Newer version available'?
Whenever I am prompted to install a new version of MinimServer, MinimWatch or MinimStreamer on my Windows 7 PC, I always just go ahead and accept the installation. I did this a day or two ago, but ever since I have been getting the message "MinimWatch: Newer version available. MinimWatch 0.8.2 is no longer supported. For continued support and updates, please install MinimWatch 0.8.3".

This warning seems a little puzzling, as I'm already running MinimWatch 0.8.3. What might be going wrong here?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2015, 18:17
RE: I'm running latest version of MinimWatch
(22-12-2015 17:12)haggis999 Wrote:  Whenever I am prompted to install a new version of MinimServer, MinimWatch or MinimStreamer on my Windows 7 PC, I always just go ahead and accept the installation. I did this a day or two ago, but ever since I have been getting the message "MinimWatch: Newer version available. MinimWatch 0.8.2 is no longer supported. For continued support and updates, please install MinimWatch 0.8.3".

This warning seems a little puzzling, as I'm already running MinimWatch 0.8.3. What might be going wrong here?

David

You might be running MinimServer 0.8.3 and MinimWatch 0.8.2. From the minim icon, select Options > About (watch). What version do you see?
22-12-2015, 19:12
RE: I'm running latest version of MinimWatch, so why do I get 'Newer version available'?
Before making my post, I did a right mouse click on the Minim icon. From the resulting pop-up menu, I then selected About, which I thought told me I was running MinimWatch 0.8.3. However, my eyes were deceiving me or I'm going senile. On checking this again, I see that it actually told me I was running MinimServer 0.8.3.

As you correctly guessed, when I check Options/About (rather than About) it tells me I am running MinimWatch 0.8.2.

I assume that I must have accidentally hit the wrong button when a pop-up message a few days ago offered me the option to upgrade to MinimWatch 0.8.3. What is the simplest way to regenerate that MinimWatch upgrade request?

David
22-12-2015, 20:22
(22-12-2015 19:12)haggis999 Wrote:  Before making my post, I did a right mouse click on the Minim icon. From the resulting pop-up menu, I then selected About, which I thought told me I was running MinimWatch 0.8.3. However, my eyes were deceiving me or I'm going senile. On checking this again, I see that it actually told me I was running MinimServer 0.8.3.

As you correctly guessed, when I check Options/About (rather than About) it tells me I am running MinimWatch 0.8.2.

I assume that I must have accidentally hit the wrong button when a pop-up message a few days ago offered me the option to upgrade to MinimWatch 0.8.3. What is the simplest way to regenerate that MinimWatch upgrade request?

David

The pop-up was for an update to MinimWatch 0.8.2 update 24. To move to a new version (rather than an update), you need to download the new version from this page and install it by following the instructions on this page.
23-12-2015, 00:27
(22-12-2015 20:22)simoncn Wrote:  The pop-up was for an update to MinimWatch 0.8.2 update 24. To move to a new version (rather than an update), you need to download the new version from this page and install it by following the instructions on this page.

OK. Will do.

BTW, why do new versions require a more complex installation procedure than the intermediate updates?

David
23-12-2015, 14:47
(23-12-2015 00:27)haggis999 Wrote:  OK. Will do.

BTW, why do new versions require a more complex installation procedure than the intermediate updates?

David

The updates are installed with the assistance of a small launcher module within MinimServer and MinimWatch. If this launcher module needs to be updated, installing a new version is the only way to do this.

It is sometimes necessary to make changes to MinimServer or MinimWatch that are not completely compatible with previous usage. In such cases, I think it is preferable to release the changes as part of a new version so that people are making an explicit decision to move forward and accept the changes.

In the case of MinimServer and MinimWatch 0.8.3, there is a potentially incompatible change. These versions no longer support Java 6, so anyone who is still using Java 6 would need to update Java before installing the 0.8.3 version.

It should be very simple and quick to download and install a new version. When I need to do this for testing, it takes about a minute. New versions are normally released once or twice twice a year, so this shouldn't be a very large overhead. Smile
23-12-2015, 17:55
RE: I'm running latest version of MinimWatch, so why do I get 'Newer version available'?
Thanks for the clear explanation of why you have two different update mechanisms. I always knew you would have a good reason!

I cannot now remember whether I installed the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of MinimServer or the Java runtime last time I did an update. Is there any way to tell if my Java runtime is 32-bit or 64-bit? Rather surprisingly, when I view Java/About Java on my Windows Start menu it doesn't answer that question (it just tells me that I have Java Standard Edition, Version 8, Update 25).

David
23-12-2015, 19:31
(23-12-2015 17:55)haggis999 Wrote:  Thanks for the clear explanation of why you have two different update mechanisms. I always knew you would have a good reason!

I cannot now remember whether I installed the 32-bit or 64-bit versions of MinimServer or the Java runtime last time I did an update. Is there any way to tell if my Java runtime is 32-bit or 64-bit? Rather surprisingly, when I view Java/About Java on my Windows Start menu it doesn't answer that question (it just tells me that I have Java Standard Edition, Version 8, Update 25).

David

I presume you are running Windows x64. If so, look to see where MinimWatch is installed. If it is installed in Program Files (x86), it is 32-bit. If it is installed in Program Files, it is 64-bit.
23-12-2015, 22:22
It turns out that I was using the 64-bit version. MinimWatch 0.8.3 is now installed.

Thanks for your help. Have a good Christmas!

David