Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC HLS Radio Streams
15-12-2015, 12:47
BBC HLS Radio Streams
I am using Synology NAS to stream BBC HLS to Linn KDSM via Kazoo.I have just bought a Revo radio which recognises Minimserver and my music is readily available.It also shows 1 playlist for Radio,when this is selected it just shows as 'empty".Is there any way around this or am I simply trying to get something that is not available.As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2015, 14:08
RE: BBC HLS Radio Streams
(15-12-2015 12:47)mors Wrote:  I am using Synology NAS to stream BBC HLS to Linn KDSM via Kazoo.I have just bought a Revo radio which recognises Minimserver and my music is readily available.It also shows 1 playlist for Radio,when this is selected it just shows as 'empty".Is there any way around this or am I simply trying to get something that is not available.As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you seeing this playlist underneath a menu selection named '1 playlist' that appears in the top-level menu under the selections for # albums and # items?

Is there a file named Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 anywhere in your music library? If so, what does this file contain?
15-12-2015, 15:16
(15-12-2015 14:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 12:47)mors Wrote:  I am using Synology NAS to stream BBC HLS to Linn KDSM via Kazoo.I have just bought a Revo radio which recognises Minimserver and my music is readily available.It also shows 1 playlist for Radio,when this is selected it just shows as 'empty".Is there any way around this or am I simply trying to get something that is not available.As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you seeing this playlist underneath a menu selection named '1 playlist' that appears in the top-level menu under the selections for # albums and # items?

Is there a file named Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 anywhere in your music library? If so, what does this file contain?
Thanks for your quick reply.What I am looking at is Revo display.I select Music player then shared media which brings up MinimServer (DiskStation).On selecting MinimServer this brings up all music albums and items etc including 1 playlist which normally takes me to BBC HLS stations.However on Revo when I select 1 playlist it shows Radio but when that is selected it just shows as "empty".I also scrolled right down to Folder View and selected Radio again showing "empty ".I can't see Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8.Thanks again.
15-12-2015, 15:58
(15-12-2015 15:16)mors Wrote:  Thanks for your quick reply.What I am looking at is Revo display.I select Music player then shared media which brings up MinimServer (DiskStation).On selecting MinimServer this brings up all music albums and items etc including 1 playlist which normally takes me to BBC HLS stations.However on Revo when I select 1 playlist it shows Radio but when that is selected it just shows as "empty".I also scrolled right down to Folder View and selected Radio again showing "empty ".I can't see Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8.Thanks again.

The Radio playlist that you see under '1 playlist' and in folder view corresponds to a file named Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 in your library.

If this Radio playlist is not empty when you view the library with Kazoo, this probably means the radio stream information is either not sufficient for the Revo or not compatible with the Revo. To solve this, you could try adding a stream type to the station entries in your Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 file. For example, you would need to change:

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3] BBC Radio 3

to:

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3;aac] BBC Radio 3

and similarly for other stations.
15-12-2015, 16:24
(15-12-2015 15:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 15:16)mors Wrote:  Thanks for your quick reply.What I am looking at is Revo display.I select Music player then shared media which brings up MinimServer (DiskStation).On selecting MinimServer this brings up all music albums and items etc including 1 playlist which normally takes me to BBC HLS stations.However on Revo when I select 1 playlist it shows Radio but when that is selected it just shows as "empty".I also scrolled right down to Folder View and selected Radio again showing "empty ".I can't see Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8.Thanks again.

The Radio playlist that you see under '1 playlist' and in folder view corresponds to a file named Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 in your library.

If this Radio playlist is not empty when you view the library with Kazoo, this probably means the radio stream information is either not sufficient for the Revo or not compatible with the Revo. To solve this, you could try adding a stream type to the station entries in your Radio.m3u or Radio.m3u8 file. For example, you would need to change:

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3] BBC Radio 3

to:

#EXTINF:-1,[*R3;aac] BBC Radio 3

and similarly for other stations.

Thanks I'll try that.
04-01-2016, 16:34
I have managed to get through to my BBC Radio playlist - I am using Kinsky on a PC to connect to MinimStreamer on a PI.

But when I select a station and press Play, it runs for a half second or so (without sound) and then switches off.

I have tried with the "aac" modification above but still the same outcome.
04-01-2016, 22:24
Hi,

I'm not sure if this will work but I had exactly the same issue with a Roberts Stream 93 radio and Simon solved it for me by setting:

stream.transcode to *:L16

which transcoded the radio streams into wav which can be played by my radio - try this.

Good luck
04-01-2016, 23:03
(04-01-2016 22:24)Steve Wrote:  Hi,

I'm not sure if this will work but I had exactly the same issue with a Roberts Stream 93 radio and Simon solved it for me by setting:

stream.transcode to *:L16

which transcoded the radio streams into wav which can be played by my radio - try this.

Good luck

Thanks for this suggestion. One minor point: the L16 setting transcodes to LPCM which isn't the same as transcoding to WAV.
05-01-2016, 19:45
Hi Simon,

Sorry, my mistake. Both wav and LPCM worked with the Roberts Stream radio.
06-01-2016, 13:56 (This post was last modified: 06-01-2016 13:57 by simoncn.)
(04-01-2016 16:34)Alan Robinson Wrote:  I have managed to get through to my BBC Radio playlist - I am using Kinsky on a PC to connect to MinimStreamer on a PI.

But when I select a station and press Play, it runs for a half second or so (without sound) and then switches off.

I have tried with the "aac" modification above but still the same outcome.

Kinsky is fussy about MIME type compatibilty between the renderer and the server stream. It won't play a file or stream if the MIME types don't match. Which renderer are you using? Can you try another control point?