Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Qnap minimserver not starting
28-11-2015, 05:53
Qnap minimserver not starting
Hello, I've been using Minimserver just fine on my laptop for a few weeks. Just got a brand new Qnap ts-251, and installed Java and Minimserver per instructions. However, when I click open, the firefox web page that opens says "unable to connect". I've tried to search as much as I could, without any success, so here I am. I tried turning off the firewall on my laptop, to no avail. However, the issue must be on the NAS if the page is not showing the status as noted in one of the posts I read. Help!

This from the log file in the public folder in the NAS:

MinimServer 0.8.3 update 50, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2015, 07:44 (This post was last modified: 28-11-2015 07:46 by simoncn.)
RE: Qnap minimserver not starting
(28-11-2015 05:53)dominion Wrote:  Hello, I've been using Minimserver just fine on my laptop for a few weeks. Just got a brand new Qnap ts-251, and installed Java and Minimserver per instructions. However, when I click open, the firefox web page that opens says "unable to connect". I've tried to search as much as I could, without any success, so here I am. I tried turning off the firewall on my laptop, to no avail. However, the issue must be on the NAS if the page is not showing the status as noted in one of the posts I read. Help!

This from the log file in the public folder in the NAS:

MinimServer 0.8.3 update 50, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Java™ SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot™ Embedded Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)
Platform default charset is UTF-8

Is there a firewall running on the QNAP that is blocking inbound connections to port 9790?
28-11-2015, 13:37
Hi Simon, I tried to figure that out,but under Control Panel -> Security, there is not much there. Under the Security Level tab, Allow all connections is selected. There is also a Network Access Protection tab, and the default setting is not enable it. Am I missing something? Where would the firewall settings be Otherwise.I'm running the latest QTS4.2.0....
28-11-2015, 15:23
I tried using IE11, as there was a more detailed error code. Hopefully I've attached it properly.

Dom

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

28-11-2015, 15:56
I also see the attached when clicking on more:

why does it show an earlier version?

nothing is clickable in the window, it's all greyed out...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

28-11-2015, 19:10
(28-11-2015 15:56)dominion Wrote:  I also see the attached when clicking on more:

why does it show an earlier version?

nothing is clickable in the window, it's all greyed out...

This is a screenshot provided by QNAP to show what running MinimServer looks like. For the live page, you need to click Open from the MinimServer entry in App Center. Is the status of MinimServer in App Center shown as ON (green)?
28-11-2015, 22:10
(28-11-2015 13:37)dominion Wrote:  Hi Simon, I tried to figure that out,but under Control Panel -> Security, there is not much there. Under the Security Level tab, Allow all connections is selected. There is also a Network Access Protection tab, and the default setting is not enable it. Am I missing something? Where would the firewall settings be Otherwise.I'm running the latest QTS4.2.0....

I think you are looking in the right place and it sounds like your settings are fine. Is your network set up for IPv4 as well as IPv6 or is it IPv6 only?
29-11-2015, 06:10
Simon, well, for whatever reason, it is now working! I was away from the NAS for a few hours this afternoon, and was goofing around with Bubbleupnp, and lo and behold, the green icon was there! Logged into the NAS, and was able to get the web page to pop up ok. Also set up minimwatch on my laptop to also control from there. So far so good up to this evening. On the other hand, now DLNA media server stopped showing media (sheesh). I was able to set up Twonky, so I should be good. Thanks for your efforts, and congrats on an amazing program! Saved me some serious cash by not having to upgrade to a Bryston BDP-2 to deal with a large library. And for those who are wondering, I also have a Bryston BCD-1. Quality thru Bryston BDP-1 into BDA-1 with minimserver with Bubbleupnp, is spot on if not better than the BCD-1 (CD vs ripped to flac), which is saying something!