Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cannot see/select network drive locations on initial install of Minimserver
22-11-2015, 13:44
cannot see/select network drive locations on initial install of Minimserver
Hi.

following initial install of Minim server on my Mac Mini, i have been unable to find/select the network location of my music files. the dialogue window only seems to include local locations. if i select macintosh HD and then volumes as suggested in the instructions, the dialogue window closes and Minim seems to start searching immediately. if i open the log, it appears to just be searching/Volumes and finds no music.

all my media is stored on a ReadyNas duo V2 and other servers allow me to select this and search it no problem. the path my mac gives me to my library folder is shown as "smb://ReadyNASbed605 (CIFS)._smb._tcp.local/Music/Library" but if i enter this manually minim says it's not a valid path.

am i being stupid? actually, don't answer that question but some help to access my network folder would be great

thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2015, 15:56
RE: cannot see/select network drive locations on initial install of Minimserver
(22-11-2015 13:44)GrahamK Wrote:  Hi.

following initial install of Minim server on my Mac Mini, i have been unable to find/select the network location of my music files. the dialogue window only seems to include local locations. if i select macintosh HD and then volumes as suggested in the instructions, the dialogue window closes and Minim seems to start searching immediately. if i open the log, it appears to just be searching/Volumes and finds no music.

all my media is stored on a ReadyNas duo V2 and other servers allow me to select this and search it no problem. the path my mac gives me to my library folder is shown as "smb://ReadyNASbed605 (CIFS)._smb._tcp.local/Music/Library" but if i enter this manually minim says it's not a valid path.

am i being stupid? actually, don't answer that question but some help to access my network folder would be great

thanks

Does the ReadyNAS Duo v2 show up under Devices in Finder? How are you selecting this folder with other music servers?
22-11-2015, 17:32
(22-11-2015 15:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 13:44)GrahamK Wrote:  Hi.

thanks

Does the ReadyNAS Duo v2 show up under Devices in Finder? How are you selecting this folder with other music servers?

the NAS drive is displayed in the 'shared' section of the Finder window, together with my other network devices such as the printer. it is listed three times as the NAS drive supports AFP, CIFS and FTP protocols. the dialogue window for Logitech Media Server, Asset UPnP and Linn Kazoo server, shows my music library folder as a location under /Volumes (with LMS i can even select the NAS directly from the sidebar in the finder window).

since my original post, i have identified the correct path as /Volumes/Music/Library and inserted this manually in the ContentDir field of the server tab. Minim seems to have accepted this and appears to have waded through the library but is not showing yet as an available server on the control point (Bubble DSnext). The minim icon is yellow and says it's starting (3.5 hours so far....) all other servers are available. i have just over 29500 tracks in my library. should it take this long to start?
22-11-2015, 23:08
(22-11-2015 17:32)GrahamK Wrote:  the NAS drive is displayed in the 'shared' section of the Finder window, together with my other network devices such as the printer. it is listed three times as the NAS drive supports AFP, CIFS and FTP protocols. the dialogue window for Logitech Media Server, Asset UPnP and Linn Kazoo server, shows my music library folder as a location under /Volumes (with LMS i can even select the NAS directly from the sidebar in the finder window).

since my original post, i have identified the correct path as /Volumes/Music/Library and inserted this manually in the ContentDir field of the server tab. Minim seems to have accepted this and appears to have waded through the library but is not showing yet as an available server on the control point (Bubble DSnext). The minim icon is yellow and says it's starting (3.5 hours so far....) all other servers are available. i have just over 29500 tracks in my library. should it take this long to start?

I was able to make this work by double-clicking the shared library folder in Finder before opening the MinimServer dialog to select the content directory. By doing things in this order, the library folder was visible under Volumes.

It is not recommended to use MinimServer to access a library on a network share because of the very considerable performance overhead that this creates. Having the library on either a local disk or a USB-attached drive is fine. As you have a ReadyNAS Duo v2, the simplest solution is to install and run MinimServer on the NAS and control it from your Mac using MinimWatch.
22-11-2015, 23:20
(22-11-2015 23:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-11-2015 17:32)GrahamK Wrote:  the NAS drive is displayed in the 'shared' section of the Finder window, together with my other network devices such as the printer. it is listed three times as the NAS drive supports AFP, CIFS and FTP protocols. the dialogue window for Logitech Media Server, Asset UPnP and Linn Kazoo server, shows my music library folder as a location under /Volumes (with LMS i can even select the NAS directly from the sidebar in the finder window).

I was able to make this work by double-clicking the shared library folder in Finder before opening the MinimServer dialog to select the content directory. By doing things in this order, the library folder was visible under Volumes.

It is not recommended to use MinimServer to access a library on a network share because of the very considerable performance overhead that this creates. Having the library on either a local disk or a USB-attached drive is fine. As you have a ReadyNAS Duo v2, the simplest solution is to install and run MinimServer on the NAS and control it from your Mac using MinimWatch.

OK. Thanks for your help. Minim is working fine now. Reason I chose not to install on NAS is the processor is so rubbish that a native install of LMS barely operates - as soon as you try any kind of search it crashes. Was advised by developer to move the server to a dedicated pc/Mac. Took his advice and it's performing miles better
Would Minim suffer similarly or is it less resource intensive?
22-11-2015, 23:38
(22-11-2015 23:20)GrahamK Wrote:  OK. Thanks for your help. Minim is working fine now. Reason I chose not to install on NAS is the processor is so rubbish that a native install of LMS barely operates - as soon as you try any kind of search it crashes. Was advised by developer to move the server to a dedicated pc/Mac. Took his advice and it's performing miles better
Would Minim suffer similarly or is it less resource intensive?

I have this model of NAS and MinimServer performance is fine. Library rescanning will be orders of magnitude faster with MinimServer running on the NAS compared with doing a rescan across the network from a Mac. Searching might be slightly slower but I supect you won't notice any difference. Try it and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.