Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver crash - fixed in Release 72
10-11-2015, 17:34
RE: Minimserver crash
(10-11-2015 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 16:40)Pastim Wrote:  No. All have "discnumber" tag 1.

However, I've done another experiment. Instead of "$album^^: $group" I replaced album with 'setid', which is my record of the CD/LP catalogue number. minimserver then doesn't crash.

The Group in this case is "Symphony No.2 in Bmi"
The Album is "Borodin - Symphony No 2 - Carlos & Erich Kleiber"
The SetId is "93116"
Titles are like: "Symphony No.2 in Bmi - 1. Allegro - Animato assai - Poco meno - Animato assai - Tempo I", "Symphony No.2 in Bmi - 2. Scherzo. Prestissimo - Allegretto - Tempo I" and so on.

Tracks are 1 to 8, discnumber 1.

On one other troublesome album all Works were just 1 track, all called "Stabat Mater", tracks 1 to 6, discnunber 1.

I understand why the presence of $album in the displayFormat string is required in order to trigger the crash.

I have set up a test similar to your "Stabat Mater" case but this hasn't triggered the problem.

================================================================================​==
EDIT: I have now been able to trigger the problem and there is no need for you to try what I requested below.
================================================================================​==

If you rename the "Stabat Mater" tracks as Stabat Mater 1/2/3/4/5/6 so that there is no duplication of track names (but assign them all to the same group), does this cause the problem to go away?

If this does cause the problem to go away, does the problem come back if you have the first two with duplicate names and the others without duplicate names?
No, the problem does not go away with 6 different Titles but all the same Group.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2015, 17:46
(10-11-2015 17:34)Pastim Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 16:40)Pastim Wrote:  No. All have "discnumber" tag 1.

However, I've done another experiment. Instead of "$album^^: $group" I replaced album with 'setid', which is my record of the CD/LP catalogue number. minimserver then doesn't crash.

The Group in this case is "Symphony No.2 in Bmi"
The Album is "Borodin - Symphony No 2 - Carlos & Erich Kleiber"
The SetId is "93116"
Titles are like: "Symphony No.2 in Bmi - 1. Allegro - Animato assai - Poco meno - Animato assai - Tempo I", "Symphony No.2 in Bmi - 2. Scherzo. Prestissimo - Allegretto - Tempo I" and so on.

Tracks are 1 to 8, discnumber 1.

On one other troublesome album all Works were just 1 track, all called "Stabat Mater", tracks 1 to 6, discnunber 1.

I understand why the presence of $album in the displayFormat string is required in order to trigger the crash.

I have set up a test similar to your "Stabat Mater" case but this hasn't triggered the problem.

EDIT: I have now been able to trigger the problem and there is no need for you to try what I requested below.

If you rename the "Stabat Mater" tracks as Stabat Mater 1/2/3/4/5/6 so that there is no duplication of track names (but assign them all to the same group), does this cause the problem to go away?

If this does cause the problem to go away, does the problem come back if you have the first two with duplicate names and the others without duplicate names?
No, the problem does not go away with 6 different Titles but all the same Group.
Which, now I think about it, is very strange. Most of my Albums contain consecutive tracks with different Titles but the same Group.

However, in that case the Composer(s) is the same for all tracks. I would also note that all the tracks are in different folders, since I file by Composer, Work, Main Artist.
10-11-2015, 18:15
I discovered that the crash was happening for me because I had a group spanning multiple albums. This had been in my library for some time but I didn't get the crash until I changed displayFormat to include $album.
10-11-2015, 18:27 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 18:29 by Pastim.)
I think I know the triggering cause, consistent with the albums I have that failed.

When what minimserver thinks of as 1 instance of a Group is spread across multiple folders, it crashes.

With 'Stabat Mater', each one was by a different composer and in a different folder. With the Symphony in 2 versions, each version was in a different folder.

So, I moved one track from another Symphony (Beethoven 1 by Abbado) on a perfectly good album to the previous folder in the hierarchy. Minimserver crashed when I played it.

So all tracks in one Group, on one Album, must be in the same folder when the Group.displayFormat includes Album.

I think.....?

I wouldn't mind if this was a constraint, like other issues that minimserver reports in the log on scanning.
10-11-2015, 20:14 (This post was last modified: 10-11-2015 20:15 by simoncn.)
(10-11-2015 18:27)Pastim Wrote:  I think I know the triggering cause, consistent with the albums I have that failed.

When what minimserver thinks of as 1 instance of a Group is spread across multiple folders, it crashes.

With 'Stabat Mater', each one was by a different composer and in a different folder. With the Symphony in 2 versions, each version was in a different folder.

So, I moved one track from another Symphony (Beethoven 1 by Abbado) on a perfectly good album to the previous folder in the hierarchy. Minimserver crashed when I played it.

So all tracks in one Group, on one Album, must be in the same folder when the Group.displayFormat includes Album.

I think.....?

I wouldn't mind if this was a constraint, like other issues that minimserver reports in the log on scanning.

Thanks for this. It is the vital clue that should enable me to fix the problem. I don't see any reason why this should be a constraint.

I have never seen this problem myself because I use one folder per album.
10-11-2015, 21:33
(10-11-2015 20:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-11-2015 18:27)Pastim Wrote:  I think I know the triggering cause, consistent with the albums I have that failed.

I think.....?

Thanks for this. It is the vital clue that should enable me to fix the problem. I don't see any reason why this should be a constraint.

I have never seen this problem myself because I use one folder per album.
When I first started storing digital tracks on a computer I figured that even if all the music servers had poor searching capabilities and weak databases, filing my classical stuff by composer, work and performer would always enable me to find the performance of a piece I wanted to play and play it with a simple flac player. Finding an Album with what I want would take much longer, requiring a good memory, something I lack.

For non-classical I file by Album.

Having made that decision several moons ago I've seen no reason to change it. There are occasions when I want to re-tag an Album that makes this slightly awkward since I'm not always sure what's on an Album. Minimserver helps a lot here, with it's excellent indexing system. The other tool I use to find out is foobar2000, where I've developed many different filters to find stuff and do simple tag changes where necessary (eg correcting the name of an Artist).
12-11-2015, 21:11
Release 72 has resolved this problem. A Group on an Album can now span a folder if required, and the Group.displayFormat can include the Album name.