Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Routers and multicast discovery
25-02-2016, 21:45
RE: Routers and multicast discovery
(25-02-2016 17:04)Peter@57m Wrote:  UPDATE

Now using Ubiquiti UniFi AC-LR as wireless access point instead of ASUS.

Default is IGMP enabled and have now had to change this yet. Been running for 2 months.

Did you mean "not had to change this"?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2016, 21:49
(25-02-2016 07:45)bruemmer Wrote:  Feedback from Germany:
My router Fritz!Box 7490 (from the German company AVM) only works correctly with the outdated Firmware 6.30. Actual Firmwares 6.50 or 6.51 lead to problems as mentioned above.
Fritz!Box doesn't have any IGMP snooping or multicast forwarding settings.

By the way: is there already a list of suitable routers within the Minimserver user guide? I did not find it because in case AVM will not be able to fix the problem in future I will have to switch to another router.

Rainer

I didn't get as many responses as I had hoped but there are enough here to be worth updating the User guide with this information. I will do this in the near future. In the meantime, please refer to earlier posts on this thread for routers that work correctly.
26-02-2016, 23:25
Netgear WNDT4500
Yu can desactivate the "IGMP Proxy"
26-02-2016, 23:30
(26-02-2016 23:25)lyapounov Wrote:  Netgear WNDT4500
Yu can desactivate the "IGMP Proxy"

IGMP proxy isn't the same as IGMP snooping and changing the IGMP proxy setting is unlikely to have any effect on UPnP discovery.
27-02-2016, 23:28
(25-02-2016 21:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-02-2016 17:04)Peter@57m Wrote:  UPDATE

Now using Ubiquiti UniFi AC-LR as wireless access point instead of ASUS.

Default is IGMP enabled and have not had to change this yet. Been running for 2 months.

Did you mean "not had to change this"?

Yes sorry for typo, should read "not had to change this"
29-02-2016, 16:05 (This post was last modified: 29-02-2016 16:06 by tboooe.)
I have two instances of Minimsever running on two different wireless routers. One works all the time while the other is a little unreliable.

The reliable instance is connected directly to my Asus Nighthawk R7000. The PC is running Windows 7.
The unreliable instance is connected directly to my Dlink DAP-1650 Wireless Access Point (acting as wireless bridge). The PC is running Server Essentials with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer.

The issue is that sometimes Minimserver will not show up in the Control Point. I know the wireless connection is OK because the renderer running on that same PC shows up fine in the control point. The only way to get Minimserver to show up is to unplug and replug the ethernet cable. There is no IGMP setting to change.
29-02-2016, 16:38
(29-02-2016 16:05)tboooe Wrote:  I have two instances of Minimsever running on two different wireless routers. One works all the time while the other is a little unreliable.

The reliable instance is connected directly to my Asus Nighthawk R7000. The PC is running Windows 7.
The unreliable instance is connected directly to my Dlink DAP-1650 Wireless Access Point (acting as wireless bridge). The PC is running Server Essentials with Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer.

The issue is that sometimes Minimserver will not show up in the Control Point. I know the wireless connection is OK because the renderer running on that same PC shows up fine in the control point. The only way to get Minimserver to show up is to unplug and replug the ethernet cable. There is no IGMP setting to change.

These symptoms are consistent with a multicast discovery issue. It sounds like there might be a multicast problem with the wiireless bridge that is preventing M-SEARCH multicast discovery messages from being received by MinimServer.
29-02-2016, 16:50
(29-02-2016 16:38)simoncn Wrote:  These symptoms are consistent with a multicast discovery issue. It sounds like there might be a multicast problem with the wiireless bridge that is preventing M-SEARCH multicast discovery messages from being received by MinimServer.

I dont doubt that but the thing is I didnt have this issue until recently. I have not made changes to the hardware or software running on this PC aside from the recent Minimserver upgrade (which I am not saying is causing this). The only other change was to have Fidelizer start Minimserver instead of starting it manually. I think when I do this Minimserver is not started as administrator? Not sure if this has anything to do with it but all my settings in Minimserver had to be re-entered. If I start Minimserver manually my original settings are there. Not sure why I have two sets of settings depending on how Minimserver is started.
29-02-2016, 18:01 (This post was last modified: 29-02-2016 18:01 by simoncn.)
(29-02-2016 16:50)tboooe Wrote:  I dont doubt that but the thing is I didnt have this issue until recently. I have not made changes to the hardware or software running on this PC aside from the recent Minimserver upgrade (which I am not saying is causing this). The only other change was to have Fidelizer start Minimserver instead of starting it manually. I think when I do this Minimserver is not started as administrator? Not sure if this has anything to do with it but all my settings in Minimserver had to be re-entered. If I start Minimserver manually my original settings are there. Not sure why I have two sets of settings depending on how Minimserver is started.

The settings are stored in the folder C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\data, where your-user-name is the user that started MinimServer. This probably explains why you have two versions of the settings.

MinimServer should run OK on Windows from a non-administrator user but this probably hasn't been tested as extensively as running it from an administrator user.
02-03-2016, 18:42
I am also experiencing weird behavior, but non only with minimserver.

After a while without any music playing, none of my app (lumin, kazoo, kinsky even) finds the linn akurate, and the minimserver is displayed "offline".

But I still can see them on the network. I can access to minimserver through minimwatch (normal grey color), and to the Linn, through konfig. It just looks like upnp is not working.

But then I can make it work again by unplugging and plug-in again the electric plug of the switch onto which they are attached, which is a netgear GS105. That switch is only connected to the Synology with miniserver, the linn akurate, and an oppo bdp-105; and of course to the router through another switch

My router is a netgear WNDR4500

I am changing the switch to a GS305 just to check...