Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unsuccessful Minimwatch installation - 32 bit Windows 10
30-09-2015, 16:37
Unsuccessful Minimwatch installation - 32 bit Windows 10
I can't install MinimWatch on my 32-bit Windows 10 rig. I have the latest JRE, but starting MinimWatch just gives a command window which flashes off before I can read its content.

.I note that the original installation left a .zip file, ohnet(windows-x86)-1.0.1356.zip in the lib subdirectory. Extracting this manually made no difference to the Minimwatch startup.

The .zip file contained license.text; module.properties; ohNet.dll; ohnet.jar and ohNetJni.dll.

Any ideas?

Fraser
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 17:45
RE: Unsuccessful Minimwatch installation - 32 bit Windows 10
(30-09-2015 16:37)Tamandua Wrote:  I can't install MinimWatch on my 32-bit Windows 10 rig. I have the latest JRE, but starting MinimWatch just gives a command window which flashes off before I can read its content.

.I note that the original installation left a .zip file, ohnet(windows-x86)-1.0.1356.zip in the lib subdirectory. Extracting this manually made no difference to the Minimwatch startup.

The .zip file contained license.text; module.properties; ohNet.dll; ohnet.jar and ohNetJni.dll.

Any ideas?

Fraser

You shouldn't modify or extract any of the files in the lib directory. Please revert this directory to its original state to prevent further problems.

It sounds like there is something wrong with your file association for .jar files. You can view this by opening Default Programs from Control Panel. The Description column for .jar should say Executable Jar File and the Current Default column should say Java (TM) Platform SE binary.

You should also check the properties for the MinimWatch desktop launch icon. On the Shortcut tab, the target type should say Executable Jar File. On the General tab, "Opens with" should say "Java (TM) Platform SE b".

If either of these is not as expected (or even if they are as expected), it would be a good idea to completely uninstall Java and then reinstall Java. The safest way to do the reinstallation is to download the Windows x86 Offline binary on this page.

You shouldn't need to uninstall or reinstall MinimWatch unless the lib subdirectory is in a modified state. In this case, you should uninstall MinimWatch and then use Windows Explorer to delete the MinimWatch installation directory and all its subdirectories if these directories weren't deleted by the uninstall.
30-09-2015, 21:28
Thank you very much for this extended reply.

I have followed the instructions to the letter, and have rebooted after reinstalls of both JRE and Minimwatch, but am still in the same position.

Someone on the Devialet Forum has indicated that they just leave their tablet and Melco on all the time and circumvent the indexing that way. Not ideal, to my mind, but maybe that is what I am stuck with.

Fraser
30-09-2015, 21:55
(30-09-2015 21:28)Tamandua Wrote:  Thank you very much for this extended reply.

I have followed the instructions to the letter, and have rebooted after reinstalls of both JRE and Minimwatch, but am still in the same position.

Someone on the Devialet Forum has indicated that they just leave their tablet and Melco on all the time and circumvent the indexing that way. Not ideal, to my mind, but maybe that is what I am stuck with.

Fraser

Please can you confirm what you are seeing in the Default Programs file associations list for the .jar extension and what you are seeing in the General and Shortcut tabs of the MinimWatch desktop launch icon. When I have this information, I can suggest some next steps to resolve the problem.
30-09-2015, 22:13
In 'Set Associations" I see: Description - JAR File, Current Default - Java ™ Platform SE Binary

In the desktop icon's General Tab, I see Opens with: Java ™ Platform SE b

In the desktop icon's Shortcut Tab, I see

Target type: JAR File
Target location: lib
Target: "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib\mwatch.jar"
Start in: "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib"

On the slightly brighter side, the Melco now shows up in Windows Explorer as Minimserver(N1-0944), so the Server installation seems to have worked.

Fraser
30-09-2015, 23:43
(30-09-2015 22:13)Tamandua Wrote:  In 'Set Associations" I see: Description - JAR File, Current Default - Java ™ Platform SE Binary

In the desktop icon's General Tab, I see Opens with: Java ™ Platform SE b

In the desktop icon's Shortcut Tab, I see

Target type: JAR File
Target location: lib
Target: "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib\mwatch.jar"
Start in: "C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib"

On the slightly brighter side, the Melco now shows up in Windows Explorer as Minimserver(N1-0944), so the Server installation seems to have worked.

Fraser

The problem is caused by having JAR File instead of Executable Jar File. This can happen if the .jar extension was previously associated to a different program before you installed Java.

What happens if you uninstall Java? Is there still an entry for .jar in the file associations list? If so, what do you see in the Description and Current Default columns?
01-10-2015, 08:44
The .jar entry remains.

Description remains 'JAR File' but the Current Default changes to 'Unknown Application'.

Fraser
01-10-2015, 10:24 (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 10:24 by simoncn.)
(01-10-2015 08:44)Tamandua Wrote:  The .jar entry remains.

Description remains 'JAR File' but the Current Default changes to 'Unknown Application'.

Fraser

Thanks! I've done some experiments with Windows 10 and I have found a couple of ways you should be able to fix this.

I think the best option is to use the free utility FileTypesMan (see this page) to view the faulty .jar entry and edit or remove it as required. The download link that you need to use is a long way down the page, after the Feedback section.

Before you run the FileTypesMan program, uninstall Java. Extract the FileTypesMan program from the downloaded zip file and launch it, then scroll down to the .jar filetype in the list. You will see much more information than Windows gives you, including columns such as Type Name, MIME Type and Perceived Type (and many more columns if you scroll further right). You can select the .jar line and press F2 to get an edit dialog with a nice summary of all the properties for this type. Please post the entries that you see in this dialog.

The solution will almost certainly be to delete this .jar line and then reinstall Java, but before you do this I would like to get the above information to make sure that deleting the line won't cause any other problems.

Thanks very much for all your help with this!
01-10-2015, 10:51
From the Edit File Type box::

Extension: .jar
Type Name: jar_auto_file
User Choice: Applications\java.exe

All other fields and boxes are blank.

The tabulated view doesn't offer much more, with many of its fields being blank too. It only adds:
0x00000000 entries in Flags and Browser Flags columns;
14/09/15 18:02:28 in Modified Time;
Standard in File Type Group.

Everything to the right of User Choice is blank.

Fraser
01-10-2015, 12:25
(01-10-2015 10:51)Tamandua Wrote:  From the Edit File Type box::

Extension: .jar
Type Name: jar_auto_file
User Choice: Applications\java.exe

All other fields and boxes are blank.

The tabulated view doesn't offer much more, with many of its fields being blank too. It only adds:
0x00000000 entries in Flags and Browser Flags columns;
14/09/15 18:02:28 in Modified Time;
Standard in File Type Group.

Everything to the right of User Choice is blank.

Fraser

There is nothing important here, so you can delete the .jar line. To do this, select the .jar line and press Ctrl + Del. You will get a prompt asking you to confirm the deletion. After you have deleted the line, install Java again and you should now see Executable Jar File in the .jar line in FileTypesMan and also in the Control Panel list of file types.