Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Miniserver support flac?
03-09-2015, 02:17
Does Miniserver support flac?
I'm new to using minimserver and like what I hear already. But I can't play any flac. Is it necessary to install minimstreamer?

I installed Minimserver on my qnap212 where the music files are stored. Minimwatch is on my desktop. I use JplayStreamer on a CAPS computer.

JplayStreamer with Jriver as server will play flac just fine (no transcoding). But with Minimserver I get no output with flac files. It's fine with wav.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 11:25
RE: Does Miniserver support flac?
(03-09-2015 02:17)BaW Wrote:  I'm new to using minimserver and like what I hear already. But I can't play any flac. Is it necessary to install minimstreamer?

I installed Minimserver on my qnap212 where the music files are stored. Minimwatch is on my desktop. I use JplayStreamer on a CAPS computer.

JplayStreamer with Jriver as server will play flac just fine (no transcoding). But with Minimserver I get no output with flac files. It's fine with wav.

JPlayStreamer is limited to playing WAV files only. This means you need to install MinimStreamer and enable WAV transcoding in order to play FLAC files using JPlayStreamer. I believe the JPlay website has instructions for doing this and configuring the necessary settings.
03-09-2015, 20:43 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 20:44 by jrobbins50.)
(03-09-2015 11:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 02:17)BaW Wrote:  I'm new to using minimserver and like what I hear already. But I can't play any flac. Is it necessary to install minimstreamer?

JPlayStreamer is limited to playing WAV files only. This means you need to install MinimStreamer and enable WAV transcoding in order to play FLAC files using JPlayStreamer. I believe the JPlay website has instructions for doing this and configuring the necessary settings.

Switch to using JRemote with JRiver. Works with flac files -- even DSD in DSF or iso format! Or, try BubbleuPnP as controller for Android. That works well, too, with flac files. JCR
03-09-2015, 21:32 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 21:34 by simoncn.)
(03-09-2015 20:43)jrobbins50 Wrote:  Switch to using JRemote with JRiver. Works with flac files -- even DSD in DSF or iso format! Or, try BubbleuPnP as controller for Android. That works well, too, with flac files. JCR

This wouldn't solve the OP's requirement, which is to play FLAC files on a UPnP renderer (JPlayStreamer) that can only play WAV files. To do this, it is necessary to either convert the FLAC files to WAV files or use a server that can transcode FLAC to WAV on the fly. MinimServer has full support for FLAC files if you are using a UPnP renderer that can play FLAC files.
05-09-2015, 07:48
Thanks for the replies. I got it minimstreamer working and ffmpeg.exe. But I have a large number of files in unsupported formats (aif, aiff, ape, wma). I hate to convert them due to the time involved and I fear something might change during the process (read errors and error correction).

I'm sad to see the mess my library appears in Minimserver. It's pretty clean in Jriver. Who wants to spend weeks doing metadata etc?

I'll do some comparisons and if the sound quality beats Jriver/Jplaystreamer I'll have to think hard about this.
05-09-2015, 18:26 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2015 18:26 by DavidHB.)
(05-09-2015 07:48)billg Wrote:  I'm sad to see the mess my library appears in Minimserver. It's pretty clean in Jriver. Who wants to spend weeks doing metadata etc?

What do you mean by 'mess' and how is JRiver 'tidy'? And what control point are you using (as that can also make a difference)? Comparative screen shots would be ideal, if you could provide them. The options in MinimServer provide a lot of flexibility, and I was able to tidy up the presentation of my library very easily.

Minimserver can deal well with both minimalist and more fully featured approaches to metadata. As a classical enthusiast, I pretty much had to spend a fair amount of time on my metadata as part of the ripping process Taken steadily, it was not too much of a pain. When it's done, that's it, apart from correcting the odd error and dealing with new acquisitions.

David