Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Gaps In Songs
04-09-2015, 05:30
Gaps In Songs
I have Minimserver installed on a QNAP NAS. I'm using it to stream to a NAIM network player. The network player is connected to the NAS by wired Ethernet and a switch.

Minimserver is set to transcode FLAC to WAV.

Occasionally, when playing hires material The music will stop playing for 2-3 seconds. This occurs every 20 seconds or so rendering the music unlistenable.

If I switch to standard CD rips all is fine. If I switch back to Twonky (I have both installed) the hires material will be ok.

I'm not sure if this is a network issue or a Minimserver issue.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so how did you solve it ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 12:20
RE: Gaps In Songs
(04-09-2015 05:30)iang Wrote:  I have Minimserver installed on a QNAP NAS. I'm using it to stream to a NAIM network player. The network player is connected to the NAS by wired Ethernet and a switch.

Minimserver is set to transcode FLAC to WAV.

Occasionally, when playing hires material The music will stop playing for 2-3 seconds. This occurs every 20 seconds or so rendering the music unlistenable.

If I switch to standard CD rips all is fine. If I switch back to Twonky (I have both installed) the hires material will be ok.

I'm not sure if this is a network issue or a Minimserver issue.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so how did you solve it ?

This probably means your network isn't able to handle the sustained bandwidth needed to stream transcoded hi-res audio. Twonky is not doing transcoding and this uses less network bandwidth. If you are using an older switch, you might need to replace it with a newer model.

Another possibility is that hi-res transcoding is causing a very high CPU load on the NAS. You can check this by opening Resource Monitor in QTS while hi-res transcoding is happening. If you select the Process display, what CPU figure do you see for the 'java' process?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply