Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GETTING STARTED
26-08-2015, 11:50
GETTING STARTED
I would very much like to trial your Minim Server, but frankly have no idea what it will do for me until I give it a test. To this end I have downloaded Minim Server program onto Mac Mini, together with the appropriate Java software. Current music library in iTunes.

I have so far failed to get your musical note icon to turn Green. It turns blue when stopped, briefly Yellow on rescan, but never Green. I have looked at the forums but nothing as basic as "Just Getting Started” Can you help with what I am missing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2015, 14:19
RE: GETTING STARTED
(26-08-2015 11:50)Keith Backhouse Wrote:  I would very much like to trial your Minim Server, but frankly have no idea what it will do for me until I give it a test. To this end I have downloaded Minim Server program onto Mac Mini, together with the appropriate Java software. Current music library in iTunes.

I have so far failed to get your musical note icon to turn Green. It turns blue when stopped, briefly Yellow on rescan, but never Green. I have looked at the forums but nothing as basic as "Just Getting Started” Can you help with what I am missing?

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

The installation instructions for Mac are on this page. Step 7 of this section describes the icon colours for Mac, which aren't the same as the colours for Windows and Linux. It sounds like your icon is transparent, which means MinimServer is running correctly. There is a fuller description of what the icon colours mean in this section, which I have recently updated to clarify the icon colours for Mac.

The next step is to browse your library using a UPnP control point and play your music on a UPnP renderer. You can find some suggestions for suitable control points and renderers in this section and this section.

If you have any more questions, please post them here.
25-10-2015, 02:18
Minimserver is green on a windows 7 machine but it never asked where my music is located upon initial running. How do I get it to scan my music?
25-10-2015, 07:48
(25-10-2015 02:18)sgoldfin Wrote:  Minimserver is green on a windows 7 machine but it never asked where my music is located upon initial running. How do I get it to scan my music?

Is there a minim icon (musical note) in the Windows system tray? If so, right-click on this icon and select Properties. In the Properties dialog (Server tab), what is the value of the contentDir property?
25-10-2015, 13:55
(25-10-2015 07:48)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 02:18)sgoldfin Wrote:  Minimserver is green on a windows 7 machine but it never asked where my music is located upon initial running. How do I get it to scan my music?

Is there a minim icon (musical note) in the Windows system tray? If so, right-click on this icon and select Properties. In the Properties dialog (Server tab), what is the value of the contentDir property?

It was empty. I have since manually entered drive letters, and it continues to scan. I have a yellow icon currently.
25-10-2015, 18:10
(25-10-2015 13:55)sgoldfin Wrote:  It was empty. I have since manually entered drive letters, and it continues to scan. I have a yellow icon currently.

If this property is empty, the minim icon should be red and should display a message saying "no content directory selected". I'm not sure why this didn't happen.

The initial scan can take quite a long time if you have a lot of files in your content directories. Subsequent rescans should be quicker because MinimServer uses a cache to avoid rereading files that haven't changed.
25-10-2015, 19:15
I have about 500 albums. Should initial scan take hours or days? It's still yellow.
25-10-2015, 19:47
(25-10-2015 19:15)sgoldfin Wrote:  I have about 500 albums. Should initial scan take hours or days? It's still yellow.

If you have set contentDir to multiple drive letters, you are scanning all files on all the listed drives, not just your albums. You will get better performance if you set a specific folder that contains only your albums.

If any of the drives you have entered are network drives, this will make scanning much slower. It's much better to use local drives or USB-attached drives. Many people run MinimServer on a NAS so that it has local access to the drives containing the music library.

To see how the scan is progressing, select 'Show log' from the minim icon and set the logging level to Verbose. This will produce a log message for each folder as it is scanned.
25-10-2015, 22:37
Thanks. I do have a NAS, but its not clear that it will accept Minim. When i tried to enter a folder that just had music, I got a message saying it was not a proper folder, even though name was typed correctly.
25-10-2015, 23:06
(25-10-2015 22:37)sgoldfin Wrote:  Thanks. I do have a NAS, but its not clear that it will accept Minim. When i tried to enter a folder that just had music, I got a message saying it was not a proper folder, even though name was typed correctly.

Which NAS do you have?

What was the exact folder name that you typed and wasn't accepted?