Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird problem on Synology NAS
25-08-2015, 20:20
Weird problem on Synology NAS
I have Minimserver installed on two Synology NAS boxes in my home and both worked fine until I put togther a raspberrypi music player. This will play all day from the old NAS (DS111) but on the new one (DS214+) about 40-50 minutes is the limit before the pi starts spitting and then jumping tracks. After a few seconds of doing that it settles down again and plays fine for a while again before repeating the errors. It isn't a fridge or freezer, I've moved to NAS and filtered the mains but it makes no difference.

When this happens the pi log is full of erors such as:
flac lost sync
bad flac header
flac crc mismatch

I have no reason to beleive there is anything wrong with MinimServer but it is in the middle of things and so I thought it a good idea to up the logging level on Minim to see if it showed anymore information.

Here is the odd bit, since I upped the log level to debug, it has played from the 214+ for over 3.5 hours, far longer than ever before. It has had an effect on something of that I'm sure. It is as though the extra job is keeping something awake but the drives don't sleep until unused for 1 hour.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyone got an idea how I can sort this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bob.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2015, 21:34
RE: Weird problem on Synology NAS
(25-08-2015 20:20)mightyoakbob Wrote:  I have Minimserver installed on two Synology NAS boxes in my home and both worked fine until I put togther a raspberrypi music player. This will play all day from the old NAS (DS111) but on the new one (DS214+) about 40-50 minutes is the limit before the pi starts spitting and then jumping tracks. After a few seconds of doing that it settles down again and plays fine for a while again before repeating the errors. It isn't a fridge or freezer, I've moved to NAS and filtered the mains but it makes no difference.

When this happens the pi log is full of erors such as:
flac lost sync
bad flac header
flac crc mismatch

I have no reason to beleive there is anything wrong with MinimServer but it is in the middle of things and so I thought it a good idea to up the logging level on Minim to see if it showed anymore information.

Here is the odd bit, since I upped the log level to debug, it has played from the 214+ for over 3.5 hours, far longer than ever before. It has had an effect on something of that I'm sure. It is as though the extra job is keeping something awake but the drives don't sleep until unused for 1 hour.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Anyone got an idea how I can sort this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bob.

It sounds like there is a problem with your network. Perhaps enabling MinimServer debug logging is changing the timing of network messages slightly and this is why you don't see the problem as frequently (or at all?). The DS214+ is a faster machine than the DS111 so this might also be changing the timing of network messages.

Unfortunately, network problems like this are often very hard to debug and solve. If you can change the network components (router and/or switch) between the server and the player, this might help to isolate the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply