Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
long time to show minim on my andriod
04-09-2015, 06:17
RE: long time to show minim on my andriod
(03-09-2015 20:29)jrobbins50 Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 19:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-08-2015 18:08)smirnoff Wrote:  WD live and Iamm media player instantly show Minim server...andriod phone and tablet don`t...

This is consistent with the symptoms of a network multicast problem. These problems often affect wireless connections but not wired connections.

I have the same issue. My workaround (pending my now looking at the multicast issue) was to set my Asus tablet that controls everything to never sleep. The Minimserver and BubbleuPnP apps stay running all the time and so I don't have the issue of them shutting off, once the 5-10 minutes to get it up and running goes by. Just means that I have to shut the screen down manually on the tablet and plug it in to stay charged when not using it. JCR

My router -- an Asus RT-AC68U -- has "enable multicast routing (IGMP proxy)" disabled and "enable efficient multicast forwarding IGMP snooping)" also disabled. And I suffer through the 10 minute wait for the OH version of my renderer, although the non-OH version appears instantly, as do all five of my Sonos boxes and my CAPS server. NAS and renderer are ethernet wired through a switch into the router. I see nothing in my switch configuration pages -- a Netgear GS116Ev2 ProSafe Plus switch -- relating to IGMP at all. Your thoughts? Thanks. JCR
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 12:25
(04-09-2015 06:17)jrobbins50 Wrote:  My router -- an Asus RT-AC68U -- has "enable multicast routing (IGMP proxy)" disabled and "enable efficient multicast forwarding IGMP snooping)" also disabled. And I suffer through the 10 minute wait for the OH version of my renderer, although the non-OH version appears instantly, as do all five of my Sonos boxes and my CAPS server. NAS and renderer are ethernet wired through a switch into the router. I see nothing in my switch configuration pages -- a Netgear GS116Ev2 ProSafe Plus switch -- relating to IGMP at all. Your thoughts? Thanks. JCR

Your router multicast disabled settings are correct. Which renderer are you using? Does MinimServer show up instantly? What happens if you power the tablet off and on and start BubbleUPnP on the tablet?
04-09-2015, 13:41 (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 13:43 by jrobbins50.)
(04-09-2015 12:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 06:17)jrobbins50 Wrote:  My router -- an Asus RT-AC68U -- has "enable multicast routing (IGMP proxy)" disabled and "enable efficient multicast forwarding IGMP snooping)" also disabled. And I suffer through the 10 minute wait for the OH version of my renderer, although the non-OH version appears instantly, as do all five of my Sonos boxes and my CAPS server. NAS and renderer are ethernet wired through a switch into the router. I see nothing in my switch configuration pages -- a Netgear GS116Ev2 ProSafe Plus switch -- relating to IGMP at all. Your thoughts? Thanks. JCR

Your router multicast disabled settings are correct. Which renderer are you using? Does MinimServer show up instantly? What happens if you power the tablet off and on and start BubbleUPnP on the tablet?
I'm using the Bel Canto RefStream renderer. What I get when powering down the tablet, I get the following on a restart of BubbleuPnP:

1. Bel Canto renderer in standard (that is, not OpenHome) format and all five Sonos boxes immediately appear as available renderers.
2. Minimserver appears in library at the 2 minute mark.
3. My CAPS Zuma server with JRiver appears as a renderer in both generic and legacy uPnP formats at the 5 minute mark.
4. My Marantz pre-pro AV7702 appears as a renderer at the 10 minute mark.
5. Finally, the Bel Canto renderer in OH format appears as a renderer at the 15 minute mark.

I'm not sure of the differences between the OH and non-OH forms of the Bel Canto renderer. The only differences I found is that DSF files are not codec recognized by the non-OH format, but that was fixable as well by unticking a uPnP Tweak setting in BubbleuPnP.

Thoughts, Simon? JCR
04-09-2015, 14:12
(04-09-2015 13:41)jrobbins50 Wrote:  I'm using the Bel Canto RefStream renderer. What I get when powering down the tablet, I get the following on a restart of BubbleuPnP:

1. Bel Canto renderer in standard (that is, not OpenHome) format and all five Sonos boxes immediately appear as available renderers.
3. My CAPS Zuma server with JRiver appears as a renderer in both generic and legacy uPnP formats at the 5 minute mark.
5. Finally, the Bel Canto renderer in OH format appears as a renderer at the 15 minute mark.

I'm not sure of the differences between the OH and non-OH forms of the Bel Canto renderer. The only differences I found is that DSF files are not codec recognized by the non-OH format, but that was fixable as well by unticking a uPnP Tweak setting in BubbleuPnP.

Thoughts, Simon? JCR

Can you try running Linn Kinsky on a PC or Mac that is ethernet wired to the switch or router to see if you get the same discovery timings?

Can you try ethernet wiring one of the slow-responding renderers directly to the router (bypassing the switch) to see if that helps?

Are you by any chance using powerline adapters to extend your ethernet wiring?
04-09-2015, 14:52 (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 14:54 by jrobbins50.)
(04-09-2015 14:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 13:41)jrobbins50 Wrote:  I'm using the Bel Canto RefStream renderer. What I get when powering down the tablet, I get the following on a restart of BubbleuPnP:

Thoughts, Simon? JCR

Can you try running Linn Kinsky on a PC or Mac that is ethernet wired to the switch or router to see if you get the same discovery timings?

Can you try ethernet wiring one of the slow-responding renderers directly to the router (bypassing the switch) to see if that helps?

Are you by any chance using powerline adapters to extend your ethernet wiring?
OK, the first thing I tried was to plug the NAS and the Bel Canto renderer directly into the router, rather than through the switch. I rebooted the tablet and started up BubbleuPnP. Bingo! The renderer in OH format, and Minimserver in the library, appeared instantly. So, for reasons that I don't understand, the switch was blocking something.

Related to this, and the subject of a separate thread, is my ability to get Minimwatch to work. I can report that, unfortunately, the attachment of the NAS and renderer directly to the router has not solved the grey-out issue on Minimwatch, notwithstanding the correction of the Java SE incoming connections. But, you'll address that further over in that separate thread.

Thank you, Simon. Your support is fast and knowledgeable. I just made a donation to you to support your continued work. Cheers. JCR
04-09-2015, 19:51
(04-09-2015 14:52)jrobbins50 Wrote:  OK, the first thing I tried was to plug the NAS and the Bel Canto renderer directly into the router, rather than through the switch. I rebooted the tablet and started up BubbleuPnP. Bingo! The renderer in OH format, and Minimserver in the library, appeared instantly. So, for reasons that I don't understand, the switch was blocking something.

According to pages 22 and 23 of this document, there is a setting to disable IGMP snooping for your switch. You should be running with IGMP snooping disabled.

Quote:Related to this, and the subject of a separate thread, is my ability to get Minimwatch to work. I can report that, unfortunately, the attachment of the NAS and renderer directly to the router has not solved the grey-out issue on Minimwatch, notwithstanding the correction of the Java SE incoming connections. But, you'll address that further over in that separate thread.

Thank you, Simon. Your support is fast and knowledgeable. I just made a donation to you to support your continued work. Cheers. JCR

Thanks very much!
05-09-2015, 05:03
(04-09-2015 19:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 14:52)jrobbins50 Wrote:  OK, the first thing I tried was to plug the NAS and the Bel Canto renderer directly into the router, rather than through the switch. I rebooted the tablet and started up BubbleuPnP. Bingo! The renderer in OH format, and Minimserver in the library, appeared instantly. So, for reasons that I don't understand, the switch was blocking something.

According to pages 22 and 23 of this document, there is a setting to disable IGMP snooping for your switch. You should be running with IGMP snooping disabled.

Quote:Related to this, and the subject of a separate thread, is my ability to get Minimwatch to work. I can report that, unfortunately, the attachment of the NAS and renderer directly to the router has not solved the grey-out issue on Minimwatch, notwithstanding the correction of the Java SE incoming connections. But, you'll address that further over in that separate thread.

Thanks very much!

Sure enough, the IGMP snooping is in default turned on in the switch. I have now turned it off. I bet if I plug everything now back into the switch, it all functions instantaneously as it does plugged directly into the router. I will report back the final findings. JCR