Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch startup error
04-08-2015, 17:02
RE: MinimWatch startup error
(04-08-2015 13:32)simoncn Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 12:11)nickc Wrote:  OK. Thanks. MinimWatch log file attached as requested. Before rebooting I saved then cleared the current log, so what's here should just relate to the most recent reboot and error message.

In poking around I just noticed a whole load of minimserver-crash-logs on the public share of the QNAP. I don't know if these have any bearing - I've not been aware of minimserver crashing; it's been very reliable - but I've taken the liberty of attaching the most recent of these logs too.

Thanks for these files. The log confirms that MinimWatch autostart has delayed for 10 seconds waiting for the GNOME desktop to become available and has given up waiting because the desktop wasn't available after 10 seconds.

Until a fix is available, you can work around this by editing the file

~/.config/autostart/minimwatch.desktop

and adding the line

X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=10

This will delay for an additional 10 seconds before MinimWatch is started. If the value 10 isn't sufficient to ensure reliable startup after a reboot, you can increase this value to 15 or 20 (etc.) as needed. Please let me know what is the minimum value that enables MinimWatch to autostart reliably on your system.

The crash file indicates that MinimStreamer encountered an end-of-data condition while reading a BBC HLS stream. This is unexpected but it isn't a problem in MinimServer or MinimStreamer and therefore it shouldn't produce a MinimServer crash file. I will fix this in the next update to MinimStreamer.

The plot thickens! I just got home from a shopping trip, booted up the pc and, for only about the fourth time, MinimWatch started seamlessly! So I went into ~/.config/autostart/ but there is no file: minimwatch.desktop There is a MinimWatch file with a pale purple icon, described in Properties as Type: desktop configuration file (application/x-desktop) Comment: remote control for MinimServer. "Opening" it simply seems to restart MinimServer. Dragging it into gedit produces this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MinimWatch
Comment=Remote control for MinimServer
Exec="/home/nick/minimwatch/bin/starti" auto
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Other;

Can you please confirm this is the file to add that line to; and what is the significance of the semi-colon at the end of the existing file: does it denote the end of the file or that particular line (or neither)? Sorry if I'm being dense or over cautious here.

Thanks for your helpful comment on the crash file. I have been experiencing occasional glitches in the BBC R3 stream, which I had assumed were due to a fluctuating bandwidth or temporary glitches in the WLAN connection and this rather confirms it. I'm in rural France and our internet connection leaves something to be desired!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2015, 19:46
(04-08-2015 17:02)nickc Wrote:  The plot thickens! I just got home from a shopping trip, booted up the pc and, for only about the fourth time, MinimWatch started seamlessly! So I went into ~/.config/autostart/ but there is no file: minimwatch.desktop There is a MinimWatch file with a pale purple icon, described in Properties as Type: desktop configuration file (application/x-desktop) Comment: remote control for MinimServer. "Opening" it simply seems to restart MinimServer. Dragging it into gedit produces this:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=MinimWatch
Comment=Remote control for MinimServer
Exec="/home/nick/minimwatch/bin/starti" auto
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Other;

Can you please confirm this is the file to add that line to; and what is the significance of the semi-colon at the end of the existing file: does it denote the end of the file or that particular line (or neither)? Sorry if I'm being dense or over cautious here.

This file is the ~/.config/autostart/minimwatch.desktop file. You can add the extra line at the end of the file. The semicolon is part of the Categories setting.

I am hoping that setting the additional delay to 10 seconds will be enough to solve the problem. When I have more information from you about this, I can make the necessary change to the code in MinimWatch.
01-10-2015, 22:41 (This post was last modified: 01-10-2015 22:42 by simoncn.)
(26-07-2015 16:02)simoncn Wrote:  This log shows a normal startup with the tray icon being created successfully.

You could get this message if the Gnome desktop is not running 10 seconds after MinimWatch has been started automatically when booting the machine. MinimWatch tries to create the tray icon 10 times with a one-second delay between each attempt. Can you time the startup to see how long it takes for the Gnome desktop to appear after booting the machine?

I have increased the time limit for successfully creating the tray icon from 10 seconds to 20 seconds in Minimserver update 67 and MinimWatch update 33.
01-10-2015, 22:44
(04-08-2015 13:32)simoncn Wrote:  The crash file indicates that MinimStreamer encountered an end-of-data condition while reading a BBC HLS stream. This is unexpected but it isn't a problem in MinimServer or MinimStreamer and therefore it shouldn't produce a MinimServer crash file. I will fix this in the next update to MinimStreamer.

This problem is fixed in MinimStreamer 0.5.14.