Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer start error: see system log.
20-07-2015, 20:34
MinimServer start error: see system log.
Hi,

I'm a first-time MinimServer user, and having installed according to the instructions (hopefully!), I get the following error message:

"MinimServer start error: see system log."

Unfortunately, the system log provides no further details. I took a quick look around the forum to see if anyone else had the same problem, and tried looking for the log files in the /homes/minimserver directory but the directory doesn't exist although the package reported that it installed correctly.

My setup details are as follows:

Synology DS411j
DSM 5.2-5592 Update 1
Java 1.8.0_51
MinimServer 0.8.3d

I'd be very grateful for any pointers on what to do next.

Cheers
Pete
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 21:07
RE: MinimServer start error: see system log.
(20-07-2015 20:34)petec Wrote:  Hi,

I'm a first-time MinimServer user, and having installed according to the instructions (hopefully!), I get the following error message:

"MinimServer start error: see system log."

Unfortunately, the system log provides no further details. I took a quick look around the forum to see if anyone else had the same problem, and tried looking for the log files in the /homes/minimserver directory but the directory doesn't exist although the package reported that it installed correctly.

My setup details are as follows:

Synology DS411j
DSM 5.2-5592 Update 1
Java 1.8.0_51
MinimServer 0.8.3d

I'd be very grateful for any pointers on what to do next.

Cheers
Pete

I haven't seen this problem myself and I don't know what is causing it.

The /homes/minimserver folder was replaced some time ago by the MinimServer shared folder. You can view this folder using File Station.

The message you are getting doesn't refer to a log file in the MinimServer shared folder. It refers to a message in the DSM system log that you can view using Log Center in the DSM main menu. Are you sure there are no messages in this log that relate to MinimServer?

Another user had this problem recently and solved the problem by updating DSM and reinstalling Java. See this thread for details. Please let me know whether this solves this problem for you. Many thanks!
20-07-2015, 21:49
RE: MinimServer start error: see system log.
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the quick response. I did know that the message referred to the DSM log, and I did check in there - it just repeats "MinimServer start error."

I also saw the other thread today where the guy had a similar problem. Before I installed MinimServer I made sure that everything else was at the latest version.

However - you mention that there is now (or there should be) a MinimServer shared folder. I think that this may be connected to my problem. For the last couple of years I have been using the inbuilt Synology media server, and as I wanted to do a test install of MinimServer without affecting my existing setup I created a new shared home to install some music to. I did this before installing MinimServer, and naturally I called this new home..."MinimServer".

I guess my next step is to rename this to something more benign and do a reinstall, hopefully letting your software build the directories it needs.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

PeteC