Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Function
16-07-2015, 08:59
Random Function
Simon,
Is MinimServer capable to let me play random tunes from my entire music collection stored on my dedicated NAS? If yes how? I do not seem to get this from the Naim app.
Thanks for your help.
Best
Giuseppe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2015, 17:57 (This post was last modified: 16-07-2015 22:49 by DavidHB.)
RE: Random Function
Simon has already stated that he doesn't think that this an appropriate feature for a server (see this thread). I agree with him, as the construction of the playlist is essentially done by the control point, not the server.

There is also a technical issue here. A number of (perhaps most) control points have some sort of 'shuffle play' feature, but this only works with pre-defined playlists. For rather obvious reasons, the size of the playlist is limited, so, unless your library is quite small, you will not be able to put all of it in a single playlist. What you can do with some control points (I am not sure about the Naim, as they have never produced a version for Android), and also with MinimServer, is create and save several playlists each of, say, several hundred tracks. I would have thought that such a playlist in shuffle mode would give something of a 'random' experience.

David
17-07-2015, 10:52
Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Best
Giuseppe

(16-07-2015 17:57)DavidHB Wrote:  Simon has already stated that he doesn't think that this an appropriate feature for a server (see this thread). I agree with him, as the construction of the playlist is essentially done by the control point, not the server.

There is also a technical issue here. A number of (perhaps most) control points have some sort of 'shuffle play' feature, but this only works with pre-defined playlists. For rather obvious reasons, the size of the playlist is limited, so, unless your library is quite small, you will not be able to put all of it in a single playlist. What you can do with some control points (I am not sure about the Naim, as they have never produced a version for Android), and also with MinimServer, is create and save several playlists each of, say, several hundred tracks. I would have thought that such a playlist in shuffle mode would give something of a 'random' experience.

David
17-07-2015, 14:42
David - I am not sure that I agree with you (and by definition Simon) on this but it's what Simon thinks that matters not me unfortunately.

These would be my points in favour of adding the feature:

- Certain competitor server products do already provide this feature?
- Not sure which control products do offer this? Shuffling a list really isnt the same thing at all.
- Control points, as you say, are typically limited and as a result any sizeable collection and so you don't get a collection wide selection (care I am not suggesting a playlist with 15k+ tracks I am suggesting a playlist drawn from all of those tracks not just a subset of the albums).
- I am unclear on how the generation of a random playlist differs from a recently added playlist which I believe is being considered - i.e. surely they would both be playlists generated on the server for later selection by the control point?
- By definition the server has access to all of the files and could surely produce and hold a random playlist of tracks selected limited in accordance with 'a setting' or perhaps even say 5 different playlists of fixed or configured lengths. Refreshing them upon rescan and/or a new 'refresh playlist button in minimwatch. Even better would be that the playlists were generated at different levels in the menu structure. This won't make sense here but happy to explain with user experience and slides if it entices development Smile not that I am desperate huh ?

Just think it's the only thing I miss using minimserver.