Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Options for multi-room audio?
30-06-2015, 23:14
Question Options for multi-room audio?
At present, I am a very happy user of MinimServer and BubbleUPnP, a combination that gives me a sophisticated but easy-to-use way to browse the (primarily classical) FLAC files on my NAS and play them on my hi-fi system via an Oppo BDP-105.

I would now like to find an affordable way to play the same music track in synch via additional streaming systems in other rooms. I'm not really looking for a Wi-Fi solution as my house is already wired with Ethernet, which is probably more reliable in any case for streaming large FLAC files.

Being a total newbie in the world of multi-room audio systems, I would appreciate some guidance on what products might meet my needs. I suspect that keeping multi-room music in synch is the thing that requires some additional clever technology. Ideally, I would like support for 24-bit/192kHz and gapless playback plus the ability to continue using MinimServer and BubbleUPnP.

Any suggestions?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2015, 22:12
RE: Options for multi-room audio?
Unless you're looking at the price range of Linn, you're best bet would be either Sonos or BlueSound - though neither work with MinimSever/BubbleUPnP.
01-07-2015, 22:27
(01-07-2015 22:12)audio_elf Wrote:  Unless you're looking at the price range of Linn, you're best bet would be either Sonos or BlueSound - though neither work with MinimServer/BubbleUPnP.

Both Linn and Naim can probably do the job but only at a price that makes no real sense for secondary listening locations such as a kitchen or a bedroom.

I had hoped that Sonos or Bluesound might offer a solution but it turns out that neither of these suppliers provides any meaningful support for browsing a collection of classical music.

David
01-07-2015, 23:32
(01-07-2015 22:27)haggis999 Wrote:  Both Linn and Naim can probably do the job but only at a price that makes no real sense for secondary listening locations such as a kitchen or a bedroom.

See this post for a much cheaper alternative that uses the Linn Songcast protocol. Another alternative is MediaPlayer by PeteManchester.
02-07-2015, 12:12
(01-07-2015 23:32)simoncn Wrote:  See this post for a much cheaper alternative that uses the Linn Songcast protocol. Another alternative is MediaPlayer by PeteManchester.

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the very interesting response.

Both your suggested solutions appear to depend on Linn Songcast for synchronised multi-room operation. However, Linn's website defines Songcast as "an open source application that allows you to send any audio from your computer to your Linn DS player and get better sound from your music services and web pages". That seems to imply that it is only relevant to owners of a Linn DS. Is this a case where the open source community has found an application for Songcast beyond those of its original creator or did it never have any specific association with the Linn DS, beyond the obvious marketing connection?

I'm assuming that that Songcast does not degrade the audio signal in any way and that sound quality will be entirely dependent on the choice of the amp and speakers in each room. Is that correct?

While I was aware of the existence of the Raspberry Pi, I know next to nothing about it. Can you recommend an off-the-shelf version of the Raspberry Pi in a reasonably well made case? If not, I'm sure that Google will eventually lead me to a suitable source.

David
02-07-2015, 17:02
(02-07-2015 12:12)haggis999 Wrote:  Hi Simon,
Thanks for the very interesting response.

Both your suggested solutions appear to depend on Linn Songcast for synchronised multi-room operation. However, Linn's website defines Songcast as "an open source application that allows you to send any audio from your computer to your Linn DS player and get better sound from your music services and web pages". That seems to imply that it is only relevant to owners of a Linn DS. Is this a case where the open source community has found an application for Songcast beyond those of its original creator or did it never have any specific association with the Linn DS, beyond the obvious marketing connection?

Songast was developed by Linn for use by the Linn DS. The protocol is open and the code is open souce, so anyone can implement a Songcast sender or receiver with no need for the user to have a Linn DS.

Quote:I'm assuming that that Songcast does not degrade the audio signal in any way and that sound quality will be entirely dependent on the choice of the amp and speakers in each room. Is that correct?

There might be a very slight degradation. For more details, you can post to the Linn forum and the Linn experts will explain this in more detail.

Quote:While I was aware of the existence of the Raspberry Pi, I know next to nothing about it. Can you recommend an off-the-shelf version of the Raspberry Pi in a reasonably well made case? If not, I'm sure that Google will eventually lead me to a suitable source.

David

If you are located in the UK, see this page for a good source of prepackaged starter kits.
02-07-2015, 21:04
Thanks for the further info on this topic. Following your suggestion, I have now posted a question on the Linn forum to ask if Linn Songcast or the Raspberry Pi have an effect on SQ.

I am assuming that you would use the HDMI output of the Raspberry Pi as the audio source for an external DAC but I have not yet found any specs on the digital audio standards supported by the Raspberry Pi. Can you shed any light on this?

Have you any personal experience of using the Raspberry Pi for audio purposes?

David
02-07-2015, 22:48
(02-07-2015 21:04)haggis999 Wrote:  I am assuming that you would use the HDMI output of the Raspberry Pi as the audio source for an external DAC but I have not yet found any specs on the digital audio standards supported by the Raspberry Pi. Can you shed any light on this?

I haven't tried using the HDMI output for audio. I have used the USB output but this wasn't satisfactory because the Ethernet port uses the same USB controller and this produces audible interference (clicks, pops and dropouts).

Quote:Have you any personal experience of using the Raspberry Pi for audio purposes?

David

See above. I have also used the I2S output to drive the Wolfson/Cirrus Logic card and the results were much better than USB.
02-07-2015, 22:56
What you say confirms what I had read about the RP's USB output. However, the comments I have read about the HDMI output were much more positive.

During my browsing on this topic today I became aware of the Wolfson card but it just seemed to be a way of creating the same sort of audio outputs as a typical PC and I did not get the impression that it had any audiophile pretensions.

David
02-07-2015, 23:05 (This post was last modified: 02-07-2015 23:08 by simoncn.)
(02-07-2015 22:56)haggis999 Wrote:  What you say confirms what I had read about the RP's USB output. However, the comments I have read about the HDMI output were much more positive.

During my browsing on this topic today I became aware of the Wolfson card but it just seemed to be a way of creating the same sort of audio outputs as a typical PC and I did not get the impression that it had any audiophile pretensions.

David

The Wolfson/Cirrus card is surprisingly (even amazingly) good for the price. Unlike many other cheap DACs, the sound is pleasant and enjoyable, even though some musical information is missing (compared with a Linn DS).

The main issue with the Wolfson/Cirrus card has been that a specially built Linux kernel is required. Most users won't have the time and expertise to deal with this. Cirrus are "trying" to get their drivers and changes into the mainstream Linux kernel for the RPi but I don't know the current status of this.