Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DRC
20-06-2015, 02:41
DRC
In other words, Digital Room Correction.

I have a tricky combination:
  • A room that is extremely quiet (26 dBA background)
  • A room that has strong bass nodes (basement), despite extensive bass traps
  • A very revealing system (JansZen electrostats)

I have been using a TacT 2.2x to cross over to subs and smooth the frequency response in the bass. This works very well, but on really good recordings and certain instruments (violins in particular), the grain induced by the TacT is noticeable, and the sound is considerably more natural without it.

I've tried repositioning the speakers, and in this room, that is not sufficient to get the flat FR I'm looking for. An analog equalizer (Audient ASP231) reduces transparency of the system, though it doesn't add grain.

Now, I'm thinking of replacing the TacT with a more modern unit. I wonder if anyone here is using DSP DRC units, and what you think of them. Of course, computer-based correction is another possibility, but so far I have wanted to avoid having a general-purpose computer in the listening room.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2015, 11:26
RE: DRC
Hi, With my new bigger speakers in my small livingroom I had a bass problem too. Also did not want to add a computer to my listening room. Also I did not want a analog DSP. That would kill the effect of having an expensive DAC. So you need a full digital product. Left me with two options: MiniDSP or Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro. I liked the "mini" of the MiniDSP but the digital I/O MiniDSP version does not seem to have a lot of followers. Also I could not find a dealer in The Netherlands with affordable pricing. So I decided on a secondhand DEQ2496. Connected it toslink in/toslink out between streamer and DAC. I'm very happy with it. It's not effecting the sound quality. With parametric EQ is easy to reduce bass in a very narrow band. This solves my bass problem. I even use is to highten the mid and high frequenties a bit.
[Image: vGkVpNAApuDqene9fE4jBQ4QOX-YY0ymK7DqlnM9...29-h505-rw]
22-06-2015, 13:10
Or you could try to play around with a Linn DS, they now include SPACE optimization... Well worth a try.
23-06-2015, 22:41
Thanks, jaaptina, and uk75, for the suggestions. It's great to have some ideas to follow up on.

I am also thinking of how I've got the TacT set up. Maybe I can change that to minimize its effect on higher frequencies. With luck, that will reduce or eliminate its unwanted effects.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
12-08-2016, 14:01
I would not allow any DRC to touch anything > 400 Hz at all. The TacT might be all or nothing proposition there.

First of all I would experiment with speaker placement. The JansZens are hybrids first and foremost (would not think you'd have that problem with pure electrostats). Google Get Better Sound - a ton of great tips on placement and others. Small changes matter - I can totally destroy the sound of my Sasha's by moving them an inch closer to the side walls. Generally speaking, if dynamic, ported speakers are less than 0,5m from boundary walls (measured from the port side) you'll have problems

If that doesn't help try the DS range from Linn, as uk75 suggest. Have had it, one of the neatest solutions to removing bass peaks on the market, very transparent. The Behringer option suggested above is nowhere near to it, sound quality wise (as anything in the audio chain that uses the TOSLINK inputs/outputs).

You don't mention anything about your source - if it is a computer then google for Dirac - might be a better option, although if I recall correctly it performs some magic on 400Hz+, which is anatema to me...
12-08-2016, 16:12
(12-08-2016 14:01)Linn_agnostik Wrote:  I would not allow any DRC to touch anything > 400 Hz at all. The TacT might be all or nothing proposition there. ...

Thanks for the suggestions, after all this time! I should have said, I have done extensive experiments on speaker and sub positioning, and the current positions are the best I could find. (By the way, neither the Janszen woofers nor the subs are ported.)

I have given up on the TacT. I'm now using a Classe CP-800 DAC/preamp. Besides digital and analog inputs, it provides crossover, parametric EQ, and tone controls, all in the digital domain. I measure and make adjustments manually. Though it takes more time, I find it more satisfactory overall than having the TacT do it automatically.

I became interested in the Classe because it's one of very few pieces of even semi-affordable gear that provides the customary preamp functions plus all I mentioned, plus is relatively easy to use. There are others, but they tend to be more costly or complex. Since DSP is more and more being accepted in high-end gear, I hope that within 5-10 years, there will be a wider range of well thought out products to choose from.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA