Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart Browsing Trees - what tags supported
07-06-2015, 09:03
Smart Browsing Trees - what tags supported
Hello,

Firstly, thanks for a great music server. I mainly listen to classical and jazz music and it's the first server I've found that really suits my needs. An excellent job well done, many thanks.

I particularly like the 'smart tree browsing' feature (for want of an alternative description), so I can browse genre -> albumartist -> album but also go via composer or year or orchestra. Very nice indeed.

My question relates to this 'smart tree browsing' system, as I'm looking for a way to incorporate the tag 'Band', particularly for a lot of jazz albums. I'll explain what I'm trying to do by way of an example:

I have about 40 Keith Jarrett albums (jazz pianist) that I have tagged into different 'Bands', which are "American Quartet", "European Quartet", "Solo Piano", "Standards Trio" and "Other Collaborations" (a mop up last one). This is because the albums made with these different bands are very distinct from each other. So for example my wife loves his European Quartet albums but she doesn't know the names of them, so she'd like to browse the following tree:

Genre -> <Jazz> -> AlbumArtist -> <Jarrett, Keith> -> Band -> <European Quartet> -> Album

Then she's see a list of his European Quartet albums and could choose one to play.

Is this possible? Sorry for the slightly longwinded example, but I thought it was more descriptive to use a real example. Perhaps if I used the tag "Orchestra" instead of "Band" it would work? That just feels a bit odd as this subdivision clearly isn't by Orchestra, although it is a similar usage. Or perhaps there's another tag for this purpose that I'm not aware of?

Thanks again for a great program and any help would be much appreciated,

Best,
Hugo Read
CDs ripped and tagged with J River Media Jukebox
QNAP NAS with minim server
Various Android devices with BubbleUpNP to control and render music
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2015, 12:25
RE: Smart Browsing Trees - what tags supported
(07-06-2015 09:03)hugoread Wrote:  My question relates to this 'smart tree browsing' system, as I'm looking for a way to incorporate the tag 'Band', particularly for a lot of jazz albums.

Hi, I think that MinimServer was designed to do exactly what you want. You just have to add 'Band' to the indexTags property, see this section in the user guide. Have you tried this?
07-06-2015, 15:26
(07-06-2015 12:25)winxi Wrote:  
(07-06-2015 09:03)hugoread Wrote:  My question relates to this 'smart tree browsing' system, as I'm looking for a way to incorporate the tag 'Band', particularly for a lot of jazz albums.

Hi, I think that MinimServer was designed to do exactly what you want. You just have to add 'Band' to the indexTags property, see this section in the user guide. Have you tried this?

Fantastic. I realise it was precisely for that for Composer, Orchestra and Year, but I didn't realise you could also do that for other fields. I've added Band to the list (using Minim Watch) and it works a treat. Thanks for alerting me to that.

Now I just have to work out why in Media Jukebox it's showing as all 44 albums tagged with Band, but in Minim Server only about 8 of them are showing as populated and the rest are 'Unknown'. I'm going to double check the fields with Mp3tag to make sure they are inside the file and then take it from there. Not sure if there's a file format issue, some are mp3 and some Flac and it looks like only the Flac albums are showing up with Band populated, but I'll investigate and post back.

Hugo.
07-06-2015, 17:59
(07-06-2015 15:26)hugoread Wrote:  Fantastic. I realise it was precisely for that for Composer, Orchestra and Year, but I didn't realise you could also do that for other fields. I've added Band to the list (using Minim Watch) and it works a treat. Thanks for alerting me to that.

Now I just have to work out why in Media Jukebox it's showing as all 44 albums tagged with Band, but in Minim Server only about 8 of them are showing as populated and the rest are 'Unknown'. I'm going to double check the fields with Mp3tag to make sure they are inside the file and then take it from there. Not sure if there's a file format issue, some are mp3 and some Flac and it looks like only the Flac albums are showing up with Band populated, but I'll investigate and post back.

Hugo.

You probably have the band name in the ID3v2 TPE2 frame in your MP3 files. MinimServer maps the TPE2 frame to ALBUMARTIST, which is standard for most tagging programs and server software. Which tagging program did you use to put band information in your MP3 files?
08-06-2015, 23:17
Thanks for replying. I do my tagging in J River Media Jukebox. After double checking the tags with Mp3tag, I realised that the Flac files were correctly tagged with "BAND" but the mp3 files had been tagged with "JR/BAND", even though in Media Jukebox they showed up as Band. So it looks like the program was adding a prefix to the tag name for some reason, just for the mp3s. Anyway, I fixed it with Mp3tag (keeping the tag value but changing the name from "JR/BAND" to "BAND". They now all show up correctly.

Now that I realise you can smart tag with any tag, I'm going through my classical collection and properly adding Orchestra, Conductor, Period and Instrument (I already have Composer set of course). It's going to take a while, but I've checked the progress after doing a few sample albums and it looks great so far. I'm loving the smart tagging!
09-06-2015, 18:54
(08-06-2015 23:17)hugoread Wrote:  Now that I realise you can smart tag with any tag, I'm going through my classical collection and properly adding Orchestra, Conductor, Period and Instrument (I already have Composer set of course). It's going to take a while, but I've checked the progress after doing a few sample albums and it looks great so far. I'm loving the smart tagging!

What you refer to as 'smart tagging' Simon calls 'intelligent browsing'. The difference is not just in the terminology. The point is that the browsing options change dynamically as selections are made. This not only means that you can choose your own path though the browse sequence, and change your mind as you go along, but that you can actually start with any tag (well, any indexed tag) you like. While it is 'smart' that pretty much any tag can be indexed, in my book what you can do with those indexed tags is even more 'intelligent' ...

David