Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch not starting
01-06-2015, 21:25
RE: Minimwatch not starting
(01-06-2015 19:52)Hungryhalibut Wrote:  Having just posted that, I went into options, properties, packages and pressed 'relaunch'. To my relief, it's gone green.

Is there a way to make this easier, and to be able to get it going without these commands, which are a bit scary? That said, your support is fantastic and Minim is really super once up and running.

By "the instructions above", are you referring to typing the javaw -jar command from a command prompt?

If so, I'm not sure why the normal launch process isn't working on your machine. Have you checked whether you have the .jar filetype association set correctly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2015, 21:36 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 22:10 by Hungryhalibut.)
I followed the instructions from your post at 1900 today. The previous instructions did not work for me. The associations seem to be ok, i.e. Java ™ platform SE binary.
01-06-2015, 22:22
(01-06-2015 21:36)Hungryhalibut Wrote:  I followed the instructions from your post at 1900 today. The previous instructions did not work for me. The associations seem to be ok, i.e. Java ™ platform SE binary.

Does the filetype association entry for .jar in Default Programs say "Executable Jar File"? If not, you should be able to fix this by uninstalling Java and then reinstalling it.
02-06-2015, 14:36
My experience is similar to Hungryhalibut: typing javaw -jar mwatch.jar launches a gray minimwatch icon. Except, I also got the Windows Firewall window - same as before. Clicking RELAUNCH gives me a green minimwatch icon.

The description in Default programs for .jar is just "JAR File". I reinstalled Java several times.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-06-2015, 18:19
It's weird that we both hit the same problem, and then got to the same solution. I'm pleased my hijacking of the thread helped Marcel too.
02-06-2015, 20:33 (This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 20:36 by simoncn.)
(02-06-2015 14:36)MarcelZ Wrote:  My experience is similar to Hungryhalibut: typing javaw -jar mwatch.jar launches a gray minimwatch icon. Except, I also got the Windows Firewall window - same as before. Clicking RELAUNCH gives me a green minimwatch icon.

The grey icon plus Windows Firewall window means that MinimWatch is launching successfully but your Windows Firewall settings aren't correct. You need to add a firewall rule to allow inbound connections to the Java executable. You should be able to do this from the firewall window that pops up.

I don't know why clicking Relaunch would make any difference, unless you added a firewall rule before you clicked Relaunch.
02-06-2015, 20:36
(02-06-2015 14:36)MarcelZ Wrote:  The description in Default programs for .jar is just "JAR File". I reinstalled Java several times.

I'm sure this is the reason why the launch icon isn't working, but I don't know what is causing this "JAR file" problem. How exactly are you reinstalling Java? Did you uninstall Java before you reinstalled it?
03-06-2015, 05:37
Yes, I pressed the "Allow Access" button in the windows firewall window when it popped up (with the top tick box selected).

I uninstalled Java from the control panel, and then installed it from the java.com web page. I did this both in the Chrome browser and in the Internet Explorer browser.
03-06-2015, 06:47
(03-06-2015 05:37)MarcelZ Wrote:  Yes, I pressed the "Allow Access" button in the windows firewall window when it popped up (with the top tick box selected).

I uninstalled Java from the control panel, and then installed it from the java.com web page. I did this both in the Chrome browser and in the Internet Explorer browser.

This might be a problem with the java.com web installer. Please try uninstalling Java and then reinstalling it using the Windows offline download from this page.
03-06-2015, 16:52
I uninstalled java then reinstalled it using the windows offline download from the page you indicated.

No difference. The description for .jar is still "JAR file".
I still can only launch minimwatch from the CMD window.