Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch not starting
30-05-2015, 12:57
RE: Minimwatch not starting
MinimWatch is in c:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib.
When I type mwatch.jar, it takes less than a second before I get the command prompt back
c:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib>
Apart from that, nothing happens. I still don't get a MinimWatch icon in the system tray, and javaw.exe is not one of the running processes in Task Manager.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2015, 19:31
(30-05-2015 12:57)MarcelZ Wrote:  MinimWatch is in c:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib.
When I type mwatch.jar, it takes less than a second before I get the command prompt back
c:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib>
Apart from that, nothing happens. I still don't get a MinimWatch icon in the system tray, and javaw.exe is not one of the running processes in Task Manager.

Please repeat this but type

java -jar mwatch.jar

instead of

mwatch.jar
31-05-2015, 21:14 (This post was last modified: 31-05-2015 21:22 by Hungryhalibut.)
I hope Marcel won't mind me jumping onto this thread.

I have exactly the same problem, and cannot get Minimwatch to run, since having computer problems and having to reinstall everything. I've installed the x86 version on a 64 bit laptop with 32 bit java. Minim is correctly associated with the Java SE platform.

When I click on the icon a box flashed up but went so fast I can't read it - it says something like 'could not find or load C ...... .jar'

I just typed the second of the suggestions above - Minimwatch started but disappeared again after about two seconds. Do you have any ideas? Many thanks.
31-05-2015, 22:13
(31-05-2015 21:14)Hungryhalibut Wrote:  I hope Marcel won't mind me jumping onto this thread.

I have exactly the same problem, and cannot get Minimwatch to run, since having computer problems and having to reinstall everything. I've installed the x86 version on a 64 bit laptop with 32 bit java. Minim is correctly associated with the Java SE platform.

When I click on the icon a box flashed up but went so fast I can't read it - it says something like 'could not find or load C ...... .jar'

I just typed the second of the suggestions above - Minimwatch started but disappeared again after about two seconds. Do you have any ideas? Many thanks.

What was the output (if any) from the command "java -jar mwatch.jar"?

Please post the contents of the minimwatch.log file in the folder:

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\MinimWatch\data

The AppData folder is hidden in Explorer, so you need to type the above path into the Explorer address bar.
01-06-2015, 15:28 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 16:09 by MarcelZ.)
Simon,

When I first typed java -jar mwatch.jar, I got some text in the CMD window, showing that update 32 of MinimWatch was being installed. Thereafter I got a windows firewall window (java.exe). When I clicked Allow Access, I got a grey MinimWatch icon in the system tray. This icon disappeared when I closed the CMD window.

When I clicked Start>MinimServer>MinimWatch, still nothing happened.

When I typed java -jar mwatch.jar a second time in the CMD window, I got a green MinimWatch icon in the system tray. Again, it disappeared when I closed the CMD window.

I also have a minimwatch.log file now.

Hope this helps

Marcel

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

.log  minimwatch.log (Size: 325 bytes / Downloads: 1)
01-06-2015, 16:27 (This post was last modified: 01-06-2015 16:29 by simoncn.)
(01-06-2015 15:28)MarcelZ Wrote:  Simon,

When I first typed java -jar mwatch.jar, I got some text in the CMD window, showing that update 32 of MinimWatch was being installed. Thereafter I got a windows firewall window (java.exe). When I clicked Allow Access, I got a grey MinimWatch icon in the system tray. This icon disappeared when I closed the CMD window.

When I clicked Start>MinimServer>MinimWatch, still nothing happened.

When I typed java -jar mwatch.jar a second time in the CMD window, I got a green MinimWatch icon in the system tray. Again, it disappeared when I closed the CMD window.

I also have a minimwatch.log file now.

Hope this helps

Marcel

Thanks for this information. All this is working as expected. This means the problem is likely to be related to the .jar filetype association with javaw.exe. Can you try uninstalling Java and reinstalling it?
01-06-2015, 17:55
I uninstalled java and re-installed it from Chrome. Still the same problem. Then I uninstalled Java and re-installed it from Internet Explorer. Again, no success.
01-06-2015, 19:00
(01-06-2015 17:55)MarcelZ Wrote:  I uninstalled java and re-installed it from Chrome. Still the same problem. Then I uninstalled Java and re-installed it from Internet Explorer. Again, no success.

What happens if you type

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib"
javaw -jar mwatch.jar

from a command prompt? I would expect this to start MinimWatch and I would expect MinimWatch to continue running when the command window is closed.
01-06-2015, 19:45
I followed the instructions above and the tray icon has finally appeared. Unfortunately it's grey, which is odd because Minimserver is running on my Synology. What should I do next?
01-06-2015, 19:52
Having just posted that, I went into options, properties, packages and pressed 'relaunch'. To my relief, it's gone green.

Is there a way to make this easier, and to be able to get it going without these commands, which are a bit scary? That said, your support is fantastic and Minim is really super once up and running.