Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS3 Album art
25-05-2015, 07:01
PS3 Album art
Anyone know how to get album art working on the PS3? Adding a folder.jpg image works correctly on other renderers but not with the PS3. Universal Media Server renders the album art, but required the image to be 600x600 pixels and less that 98K in size.

Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-05-2015, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 25-05-2015 12:26 by DavidHB.)
RE: PS3 Album art
(25-05-2015 07:01)ps3guy Wrote:  Anyone know how to get album art working on the PS3? Adding a folder.jpg image works correctly on other renderers but not with the PS3. Universal Media Server renders the album art, but required the image to be 600x600 pixels and less than 98K in size.

It's not my area of expertise, but I've seen posts on this issue in other forums; I'm simply relaying what I've read.

Apparently, the PS3 requires art to be embedded in the media file. If you have a Windows computer, you can use MP3Tag to do this; the relevant folder.jpg can be the source.

It seems that there are also limitations on the size of image allowed (this is a common issue with renderers), but the posts I have seen are not very explicit on what the limit is. I'd try your existing folder.jpg images to see if they work and only experiment with smaller sizes if you encounter problems.

Incidentally, I doubt that this is a MinimServer issue as such. MinimServer will work with a range of album art options; it looks at the embedded art first.

David
25-05-2015, 16:25
The PS3 requires album art to be 600x600 or smaller and no larger than about 95K when rendering from folder.jpg

I have tried embedding the album art, same issue, same file works with UMS (Universal Media Server) but not with MinimServer. I looked through the source code of UMS and seems to be related to using an AlbumArtURI tag?
25-05-2015, 21:44
(25-05-2015 16:25)ps3guy Wrote:  The PS3 requires album art to be 600x600 or smaller and no larger than about 95K when rendering from folder.jpg

I have tried embedding the album art, same issue, same file works with UMS (Universal Media Server) but not with MinimServer. I looked through the source code of UMS and seems to be related to using an AlbumArtURI tag?

What exactly is working with MinimServer (folder.jpg and/or embedded) and what exactly is working with UMS (folder.jpg and/or embedded)?
26-05-2015, 00:04
(25-05-2015 21:44)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-05-2015 16:25)ps3guy Wrote:  The PS3 requires album art to be 600x600 or smaller and no larger than about 95K when rendering from folder.jpg

What exactly is working with MinimServer (folder.jpg and/or embedded) and what exactly is working with UMS (folder.jpg and/or embedded)?

Nothing is working with MinimServer, neither folder.jpg or embedded. Both folder.jpg and embedded work with UMS.
31-05-2015, 19:48
(26-05-2015 00:04)ps3guy Wrote:  Nothing is working with MinimServer, neither folder.jpg or embedded. Both folder.jpg and embedded work with UMS.

Thanks for this information. I have compared the data sent by UMS and MinimServer and it looks like the PS3 needs the dlna:profileID attribute on the upnp:albumArtURI tag. MinimServer is sending this in some cases but not all cases. I will add full support for this in a future update.

Thanks for letting me know about this problem.
02-06-2015, 00:33
Thanks Simon, I will watch for it.
01-10-2015, 22:25
(02-06-2015 00:33)ps3guy Wrote:  Thanks Simon, I will watch for it.

This change is now available in MinimServer update 67.