Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver not starting on QNAP reboot
23-05-2015, 22:46
RE: Minimserver not starting on QNAP reboot
(23-05-2015 21:54)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this. It shows that the QNAP firmware did not attempt to start MinimServer when the NAS was rebooted.

I haven't seen this before. It might be caused by some problem in the internal data used by the QNAP firmware to control package startup after a reboot. You might be able to fix this by uninstalling MinimServer and reinstalling it. Before doing this, make a note of your confguration settings so that you can reapply them after reinstalling.

I updated the firmware to the latest version. I uninstalled both MinimServer and JRE, then I rebooted the QNAP, then re-installed JRE and MinimServer (in that order), and rebooted again. Alas, the problem still exists.

Unfortunate, as otherwise I really like Minimserver, but it seems to not like my QNAP (or vice versa).

For what it is worth, I have attached the same file again after completing the above changes.

Attached File(s)
.gz  minimserver-diag.tar.gz (Size: 857 bytes / Downloads: 5)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2015, 09:58 (This post was last modified: 24-05-2015 09:59 by simoncn.)
(23-05-2015 22:46)kowercje Wrote:  I updated the firmware to the latest version. I uninstalled both MinimServer and JRE, then I rebooted the QNAP, then re-installed JRE and MinimServer (in that order), and rebooted again. Alas, the problem still exists.

Unfortunate, as otherwise I really like Minimserver, but it seems to not like my QNAP (or vice versa).

For what it is worth, I have attached the same file again after completing the above changes.

This .tar.gz file shows the same information as the previous file that you posted.

Please reboot the QNAP, then login to the QNAP via SSH (using PuTTY if you have a Windows PC), then enter the following command:

cat /etc/config/qpkg.conf

Please copy the complete output from this command and paste it here. Many thanks!
24-05-2015, 13:42
(24-05-2015 09:58)simoncn Wrote:  This .tar.gz file shows the same information as the previous file that you posted.

Please reboot the QNAP, then login to the QNAP via SSH (using PuTTY if you have a Windows PC), then enter the following command:

cat /etc/config/qpkg.conf

Please copy the complete output from this command and paste it here. Many thanks!

As requested - this is the output from that command after rebooting the QNAP. Note that after this reboot, as always, MinimServer appears to be ON in App Center but when clicking Open the page cannot be accessed and my UPnP client cannot see the server.

[JRE_ARM]
Name = JRE_ARM
Class = null
Status = complete
Version = 8.6.0
Author = Optimus
QPKG_File = JRE_ARM.qpkg
Date = 2015-05-23
Shell = /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM/jre.sh
Install_Path = /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/JRE_ARM
RC_Number = 100
Enable = TRUE
[MinimServer]
Name = MinimServer
Class = null
Status = complete
Version = 0.8.3
Author = Simon Nash
QPKG_File = MinimServer.qpkg
Date = 2015-05-23
Shell = /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer/minimserver.sh
Install_Path = /share/MD0_DATA/.qpkg/MinimServer
Web_Port = 9790
WebUI = /
RC_Number = 199
Enable = TRUE
24-05-2015, 20:40 (This post was last modified: 24-05-2015 21:54 by simoncn.)
(24-05-2015 13:42)kowercje Wrote:  As requested - this is the output from that command after rebooting the QNAP. Note that after this reboot, as always, MinimServer appears to be ON in App Center but when clicking Open the page cannot be accessed and my UPnP client cannot see the server.

Thanks for posting this. This output is correct.

All the evidence I have seen suggests that your QNAP firmware is damaged in some way and is not starting any installed QPKG packages when the QNAP is rebooted. You can verify this by installing another QPKG such as the Plex media server and checking whether you can open this package after the QNAP is rebooted. If this fails as well, I suggest you contact QNAP for advice on how to repair your QNAP firmware. If the problem doesn't occur with Plex, please let me know and I will do some further investigation.
25-05-2015, 15:44
(24-05-2015 20:40)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for posting this. This output is correct.

All the evidence I have seen suggests that your QNAP firmware is damaged in some way and is not starting any installed QPKG packages when the QNAP is rebooted. You can verify this by installing another QPKG such as the Plex media server and checking whether you can open this package after the QNAP is rebooted. If this fails as well, I suggest you contact QNAP for advice on how to repair your QNAP firmware. If the problem doesn't occur with Plex, please let me know and I will do some further investigation.

I did this and you are correct - after installing Plex and then rebooting the QNAP, Plex will not load either.

When I have the time, I will try a complete factory reset of the QNAP, which requires formatting of the drives, apparently. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I appreciate all of your assistance with this.
28-05-2015, 12:35
I don't want to, or appear to creep, but Simon (and I may have said this before) I wish every developer/owner/support operated in the way that you do. It is actually a joy to browse through trouble shooting threads.

Respect .....
28-05-2015, 13:09
(28-05-2015 12:35)Martin H Wrote:  I don't want to, or appear to creep, but Simon (and I may have said this before) I wish every developer/owner/support operated in the way that you do. It is actually a joy to browse through trouble shooting threads.

Respect .....

I will second this, without hesitation. I truly appreciate the support - and the product itself.

I am in the middle of moving to a new house and so am a bit preoccupied but, once I have settled, I will pursue things further with the QNAP and hopefully get to the bottom of this.