Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Control Points issues - e.g. Artist and AlbumArtist
08-05-2015, 18:40 (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 18:45 by Baba Yaga.)
Control Points issues - e.g. Artist and AlbumArtist
Let me start with stating that the following is not related to an issue in Minimserver but the way the control Points are handling the information.

I am primarily using Lumin as CP, but always double-check with Kazoo.

I have entered the following in Mnimserver:
"Artist.ignore.sort.index={The},Albumartist.ignore.sort.index={The}"

In Lumin this has basically no effect at all, not in Album Artist view and not in the separate Artist view.

In Kazoo is an Artist and an Albumartist view. It seems though that in Artist view if the Album Artist tag is populated, that one is used and not the Artist tag, basically the two views for Artist and Albumartist are somehow combined. In Album Artist view everything is as expected (no Artists listed). 'The' is ignored in both views as intended.

So neither one of the CPs really works the way I would like it to, Kazoo being much closer to it.

Another example: "Composer.reverseName.display.index"

Here in Kazoo everything works fine, while in Lumin in Composer view the sorting is done based on the First Name, not the Last Name, e.g. Anton Brucker is right next to Anton Webern.

I still prefer Lumin due to its better GUI and the sizability of the viewing area on my iPad. I was hoping that some smart use of Minimservers parameters would allow me to trick Lumin but that didn't work.

Has anyone else seen the same issues and maybe even found a way around them?

BY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2015, 23:34
RE: Control Points issues - e.g. Artist and AlbumArtist
(08-05-2015 18:40)Baba Yaga Wrote:  Let me start with stating that the following is not related to an issue in Minimserver but the way the control Points are handling the information.

This is partly not true. See below.

(08-05-2015 18:40)Baba Yaga Wrote:  In Kazoo is an Artist and an Albumartist view. It seems though that in Artist view if the Album Artist tag is populated, that one is used and not the Artist tag, basically the two views for Artist and Albumartist are somehow combined. In Album Artist view everything is as expected (no Artists listed). 'The' is ignored in both views as intended.

This is MinimServer behaviour, by design, and Kazoo is simply following MinimServer (which is what it should do). The behaviour is described in the User Guide, as follows:

The Artist and AlbumArtist tags are indexed specially, as follows:
  • The Artist index provides main artist information. It contains AlbumArtist tag values for albums that have this tag and Artist tag values otherwise. This index is included by default and can be excluded by removing Artist from indexTags.
  • The All Artists index provides complete artist information. It contains Artist tag values only, not AlbumArtist tag values. This index is included by default and can be excluded by removing All Artists from indexTags.
  • The AlbumArtist index contains AlbumArtist tag values only, not Artist tag values. This index is excluded by default and can be included by adding AlbumArtist to indexTags

(08-05-2015 18:40)Baba Yaga Wrote:  So neither one of the CPs really works the way I would like it to, Kazoo being much closer to it.

In the case of the Kazoo (actually the MinimServer) behaviour that you describe, you could almost certainly get to the artist information you require, either by using the All Artists index rather than the Artist index, or by some combination of tagging (e.g. leaving AlbumArtist blank) and MinimServer tag formatting. I'm afraid I cannot be more specific, as I cannot see quite what you want from your description.

(08-05-2015 18:40)Baba Yaga Wrote:  I still prefer Lumin due to its better GUI and the sizability of the viewing area on my iPad. I was hoping that some smart use of Minimservers parameters would allow me to trick Lumin but that didn't work.

This is clearly a dilemma. Unless and until the Lumin app has a least an option not to replace the MinimServer browse list with one of its own making, there is no way round this problem, as there is no way that a server can override the behaviour of a control point. For myself, I regard the browse list as the single most important component of the UI, and I want it to be the same whichever Control Point I am using. Unless there were no alternative, I would not myself use a CP which behaves as the Lumin app does, however pretty the visual interface might be.

I am afraid that the Lumin app is not the only one which is (in my parlance) badly behaved. Android users (and I know you are not one) are in the fortunate position that they can use BubbleDS Next, which is pretty much a model of good behaviour.

David
09-05-2015, 06:33
Have you tried the folder view in Lumin? This should give you the same results as Kazoo, just ignore the Lumin built-in views.
09-05-2015, 10:02
Thanks guys,

interesting stuff, there is really more than meets the eye.
It seems that using folder view in Lumin is the closest to what I prefer. (Never tried it before, expected the folder structure of the NAS).
The more I use Kazoo the more it makes sense, but there still some issues, e.g. The cover were partly wrong and I dislike the 'empty' folders without artwork. But anyway, will use both in parallel for the next time.

Thanks again
BY