Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tagging riddle
05-05-2015, 19:39 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 20:32 by Baba Yaga.)
Tagging riddle
Hi,

all my Composers are tagged like Last Name, First Name.
I have entered the following in the tagOptions field:

Composer.reverseName.index

In Kazoo now all composers are displayed correctly: e.g. Johann Sebastian Bach under 'B'.

with two weird excepions:

Antonio Vivaldi is listed under 'A'.
I checked the tags with Mp3tag several times, removed them, readded them, under Extended Tags in mp3tags it is correctly listed as 'Vivaldi, Antonio'. This is true for several Albums (None is sorted correctly)

Similarly Wofgang Amadeus Mozart is listed under 'W' for several Albums (but none correctly)

What could be the problem? I am running out of ideas.

Thanks!

BY

UPDATE: Minim log shows:
Warning: sort value conflict for filter Antonio Vivaldi
Warning: sort value conflict for filter Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

OK, so there is something. How do I fix this sort value conflict?
Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 23:33 (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 23:44 by DavidHB.)
RE: Tagging riddle
This is a guess, but it might be worth a try, unless you have done it already.

Firstly, select all your music folders in MP3Tag. If you have a large library, the grid may take a while to populate. If you have a very large library, you may have to split it into several batches. Then press F3 to activate the filter, and enter the filter expression 'Composer HAS Mozart' (with caps as shown but without the quotes). This should identify all your tracks with Mozart as Composer.

Select all the tracks listed (Ctrl-A). (If, by any chance, you have any music by Leopold Mozart, you will need to exclude that from the selection.) Then (assuming that you have Composer as one of the tags/fields shown in the MP3Tag editing panel), look at the Composer field. If it says <keep>, there is more than one Composer value in the selected tracks. There will be a drop down arrow which will allow you to select one of the values present. You will wish to select 'Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus', and press Save on the toolbar.

One particular possibility is that you have ended up with multiple Composer tags in some files. In that case, if the values are different, there would certainly be a conflict. You should see in the MP3Tag editing panel that one or more of the drop-down Composer values will look like 'Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart//Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus' or similar. The '//' marks the separation between the tags; if you right-click on your selection and select Extended tags, you will see the different Composer tags presented separately. Simply selecting the correct value in the editing panel drop down menu and saving the change will remove the spurious tag(s).

This approach will ensure, as no other procedure can, that all your Composer values are indeed correct, and not duplicated. If the Composer field shows the correct value at the outset, all the values are already correct and there are no duplicate fields. You can now go on to the next step.

Change the Filter expression to 'ComposerSort HAS Mozart'. If no files then appear in the Filter window, this guess was wrong. If files appear, then they have a ComposerSort Tag which may be conflicting with your composer tag. Select all the files in the filter window, right-click on the selection, and select Extended tags. Change the ComposerSort Tag to <blank> for the whole selection, and save the change.

If you do make changes, you will need to run a MinimServer rescan, and check the log for errors.

If these suggestions don't work, please tell me; it is salutary to learn that one is wrong. If they do work, you can obviously use the same procedure with the Vivaldi files.

David
06-05-2015, 08:21 (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 08:21 by Baba Yaga.)
Hi David,

thanks for your suggestion, I will give it a try tonight.

Actually I did something very similar yesterday night, I loaded all albums by Vivaldi and yes, there was one single track on a classic compilation album with Antonio Vivaldi rather than Vivaldi, Antonio which obviously created the conflict. Changing that tag removed the issues concerning Vivaldi.

So I think you are right on the money, the tagging errors are out there somewhere Big Grin

Tonight I will fix the other ones.

BTW: The logging file in Minimserver is most useful!

Concerning the 'Composersort' tag, I don't use it at all. Frankly I saw it being mentioned but haven't figured out yet which values are allowed and why I would use it in the first place - how is it different from the sorting the Composer?

Thanks.
BY
06-05-2015, 11:24 (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 11:29 by DavidHB.)
(06-05-2015 08:21)Baba Yaga Wrote:  So I think you are right on the money, the tagging errors are out there somewhere Big Grin

I agree. And it's almost impossible to spot them all using just the Mk. I eyeball, which is why I recommend selecting and filtering all the tracks in the library; as you found, errors can lurk in compilation albums and other places in which you might not think to look.

(06-05-2015 08:21)Baba Yaga Wrote:  BTW: The logging file in Minimserver is most useful!

Fully agree. Its an essential part of my tagging workflow.

(06-05-2015 08:21)Baba Yaga Wrote:  Concerning the 'Composersort' tag, I don't use it at all. Frankly I saw it being mentioned but haven't figured out yet which values are allowed and why I would use it in the first place - how is it different from the sorting the Composer?

It's a different method of achieving the same result. I use it, because I set up my system before the reverseName function was added to MinimServer, and the labour of changing my tagging system would be considerably greater than sticking with my current procedure. If you are using reverseName, you don't need to use the ComposerSort tag, but you should be aware that some online tagging libraries (such as MusicBrainz) do include a ComposerSort tag as a matter of course. It may well be that ComposerSort, being a separate tag which presumably does not appear in your indexTags and itemTags properties, does not interfere at all with Composer.reverseName, but it is probably good practice to remove or blank any ComposerSort tags if you are not using them.

For information, the concept of ComposerSort is that the name is saved in its natural format in Composer, and then copied in 'Last Name, First name(s)' format to ComposerSort. I do this using one of two MP3Tag Actions, depending on whether a single first name or single last name is required. (If I were using reverseName, I would use similar Actions to reverse Composer data in natural format.) My indexTags entry includes the entry 'ComposerSort:Composer', and for this to work I need Composer in itemTags. You can see that this arrangement does with two tags what reverseName does with one. If you are already using either method successfully, I don't think that there is any good reason to change to the other one.

David
06-05-2015, 19:24
David,

all errors have been resolved. Thank you again for your helpful hints.

BY
06-05-2015, 22:28
(06-05-2015 19:24)Baba Yaga Wrote:  all errors have been resolved.

Just what I wanted to know Smile. Glad to help.

David