Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer & Synology Link Aggregation Issue
27-04-2015, 12:50
MinimServer & Synology Link Aggregation Issue
Hi

I've been posting on the Computer Audiophile forum about issues with MinimServer & LAG and it was suggested I post my findings here.

I've been running Link Aggregation on my DS415+ across the 2 ethernet ports using a NetGear managed switch. This weekend I installed MinimServer for use with an Aries streamer. The issue I was having was that MinimServer was only showing as available within the DS Lightning App for a few seconds after start-up and then it would disappear. It was suggested I try Linn Kazoo on my MAC and that had the same issue. The strange thing however was that MinimWatch appeared to be behaving as expected, I could stop & restart and there was nothing that looked untoward in the log.

After much playing around I changed the networking option on my NAS from LAG to 'Adaptive Load Balancing' (which is a new feature in DSM 5.2). As soon as I made this change the MinimServer became available on both the Aries & Kazoo.

Since making that change yesterday, I've had no further issues seeing the MinimServer. I have no idea what's going on at the network layer to cause the issue with LAG, but just in case anyone is running the same config and having issues, this maybe something to try!

Thanks

Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2015, 18:12
RE: MinimServer & Synology Link Aggregation Issue
(27-04-2015 12:50)dmormerod Wrote:  Hi

I've been posting on the Computer Audiophile forum about issues with MinimServer & LAG and it was suggested I post my findings here.

I've been running Link Aggregation on my DS415+ across the 2 ethernet ports using a NetGear managed switch. This weekend I installed MinimServer for use with an Aries streamer. The issue I was having was that MinimServer was only showing as available within the DS Lightning App for a few seconds after start-up and then it would disappear. It was suggested I try Linn Kazoo on my MAC and that had the same issue. The strange thing however was that MinimWatch appeared to be behaving as expected, I could stop & restart and there was nothing that looked untoward in the log.

After much playing around I changed the networking option on my NAS from LAG to 'Adaptive Load Balancing' (which is a new feature in DSM 5.2). As soon as I made this change the MinimServer became available on both the Aries & Kazoo.

Since making that change yesterday, I've had no further issues seeing the MinimServer. I have no idea what's going on at the network layer to cause the issue with LAG, but just in case anyone is running the same config and having issues, this maybe something to try!

Thanks

Mike

What is the exact DSM version that you are using? I tried using a LAG with my DS713+ some time ago without any problems.
27-04-2015, 18:23
(27-04-2015 18:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 12:50)dmormerod Wrote:  Hi

Thanks

Mike

What is the exact DSM version that you are using? I tried using a LAG with my DS713+ some time ago without any problems.

DSM 5.2-5532 Update 1.
27-04-2015, 23:18 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2015 23:19 by simoncn.)
(27-04-2015 18:23)dmormerod Wrote:  DSM 5.2-5532 Update 1.

I've set this up using the same DSM version and everything is working with Kazoo on Mac and Kazoo on iPad. Did you have LACP enabled on the switch?
28-04-2015, 00:53
Yes I had the switch configured. I've been running with LAG for months. So I'm not sure why it didn't work. But changing it to adaptive made an instant difference.