physically:
folder 1 : "album name xx [disc 1]"
folder 2 : "album name xx [disc 2]"

than with mp3tag
album: "album name xx [disc 1]"
album: "album name xx [disc 2]"
discnumber: "1"
discnumber: "2"
Thats pretty ok because when i open the album i get cd1 with tracks and cd2 with tracks shown

but what should i do if i have a collection and each cd has a different album name e.g. Simon Garfunkel: The Complete Albums Collection; Each CD is has a special album name:
e.g. "The Concert In Central Park", "Old Friends: Live On Stage"
i want to open the collection "The Complete Albums Collection" and each album is shown one after the other with it`s special name and in order [disc 1], [disc 2] ... ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2015, 10:26
RE: tag tip
Hello Oroperplex,

this can be achieved simply by adding a tag field "Discsubtitle" that contains the CD's name to each file. The proper disc names in the correct sorting order will then be shown when you browse the album.

This section explains it: http://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html#...c%20albums

Best regards,
Lakorus
19-04-2015, 18:37
+1 to Lakorus's comment, but you may also wish to add a "Group" tag for each disc.
19-04-2015, 22:08
(19-04-2015 18:37)audio_elf Wrote:  +1 to Lakorus's comment, but you may also wish to add a "Group" tag for each disc.

Thanks, Eloise and Lakorus, for the reminders. It's also worth bearing in mind that you don't need to stick rigidly to the physical CD organisation in adding these tags.

I always preface the file names in multi-disc sets with the disc and track number, so that the files list in the correct order, but if you give all the files in a multi-disc set the same album name, the Disc Subtitle (and Group) can run across files taken from more than one CD, so you are, in effect, reorganising the album for your own purposes.

You wouldn't do this in the case described by Oroperplex, but you might, for instance, when acts of an opera span more than one CD. Occasionally, it makes sense to split the contents of a CD or Multi-disc set into more than one virtual album. Minimserver allows you to decide what constitutes the album and the sections of the album in each case.

David
25-04-2015, 19:43 (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015 19:45 by Oroperplex.)
(19-04-2015 10:26)Lakorus Wrote:  Hello Oroperplex,

this can be achieved simply by adding a tag field "Discsubtitle" that contains the CD's name to each file. The proper disc names in the correct sorting order will then be shown when you browse the album.

This section explains it: http://minimserver.com/ug-browsing.html#...c%20albums

Best regards,
Lakorus

Many thanks,
"Discsubtitle" is the trick Smile works brilliant

tagged it as:

physically: e.g. The Cure "Disintegration" Deluxe Edition

folder 1: "The Cure (2010) Disintegration [disc 1]"
tracks with tags:
tag album: "Disintegration [disc 1]"
tag discsubtitle: "Disintegration (1989)"
tag discnumber: "1"