Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing Albums
19-04-2015, 21:12
RE: Missing Albums
Hi Simon.

No, untagged is empty and missing albums are not showing also on folder view...

(18-04-2015 23:29)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 15:49)promao Wrote:  No, good theory but thats not that. All in the same folder "music".

What I have done is to compare by genre the number of albums in iTunes and in minimserver. MS is consistently lower than iTunes for each genre.

I located two missing albums in a genre and check their tags. All well, nothing missing. I am using Tag, by the way. The only way I could make these two appear in MS was to create a new version of the files in iTunes. They were AIF and AIF they stayed. After that and a MS rescan they appear.

Problem is, I cannot think of a quick way to identify/compare without running iTunes and Kazoo side by side and comparing one by one... any cleaver way?

Thanks for helping!

Pedro

Do the missing albums or tracks show up under MinimServer's [folder view] or in the [untagged] section?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2015, 21:26
(19-04-2015 21:12)promao Wrote:  Hi Simon.

If this is a Linux or Mac machine, MinimServer will not scan any files or folders whose names start with a period. If it is a Windows machine, MinimServer will not scan any files or folders that are marked as hidden. Could this be the reason for the missing albums and tracks?
19-04-2015, 22:03
Not at all. No special characters on any folder.

I start to believe there is a bad karma between MS and my system...

Great software, none the less.

(19-04-2015 21:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 21:12)promao Wrote:  Hi Simon.

If this is a Linux or Mac machine, MinimServer will not scan any files or folders whose names start with a period. If it is a Windows machine, MinimServer will not scan any files or folders that are marked as hidden. Could this be the reason for the missing albums and tracks?
19-04-2015, 22:14
(19-04-2015 22:03)promao Wrote:  Not at all. No special characters on any folder.

Are you missing complete folders, or some individual files within a folder?
20-04-2015, 06:20
Complete folders, Simon, but not the root ones.

My folder structure is Artist, Album. I miss some album folders on a given artist, but the ones I get are complete.

(19-04-2015 22:14)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-04-2015 22:03)promao Wrote:  Not at all. No special characters on any folder.

Are you missing complete folders, or some individual files within a folder?
20-04-2015, 07:57
(20-04-2015 06:20)promao Wrote:  Complete folders, Simon, but not the root ones.

My folder structure is Artist, Album. I miss some album folders on a given artist, but the ones I get are complete.

Please try the following:

1) Set the startupScan property to 'full', then do a Rescan from the minim icon.

If this doesn't fix the problem:

2) Set the logging level to Verbose in the log window, then do a Rescan from the minim icon. The log window will list all the folders that are being scanned. Do you see the missing folders included in this list?
23-04-2015, 07:17
Thank you Simon, ?full? property did nothing, bit "verbose" did show up a lot of "error: undefined end of file on...".

At least that identifies some errors (or all, now I will have to get these one by one). Funny thing is that all tracks identified play perfectly well in iTunes, and the workaround has been to transcode them in iTunes from .aiff to .aif.

A great deal of work ahead if transcoding is the only thing to do...

P

(20-04-2015 07:57)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 06:20)promao Wrote:  Complete folders, Simon, but not the root ones.

Please try the following:

1) Set the startupScan property to 'full', then do a Rescan from the minim icon.

If this doesn't fix the problem:

2) Set the logging level to Verbose in the log window, then do a Rescan from the minim icon. The log window will list all the folders that are being scanned. Do you see the missing folders included in this list?
23-04-2015, 09:15
(23-04-2015 07:17)promao Wrote:  Thank you Simon, ?full? property did nothing, bit "verbose" did show up a lot of "error: undefined end of file on...".

At least that identifies some errors (or all, now I will have to get these one by one). Funny thing is that all tracks identified play perfectly well in iTunes, and the workaround has been to transcode them in iTunes from .aiff to .aif.

I'm glad that you've made this progress.

I think that by 'transcoding' you mean 'conversion' (transcoding leaves the original file as it is, but sends the stream to the player in another format; conversion makes a new file in the different format). It is interesting to think why conversion would make the files visible, as MinimServer supports both .aif and .aiff files.

I suspect that the issue is a problem in the .aiff files that conversion has removed. The 'undefined end of file message' suggests that the .aiff files were malformed in some way. Which software did you use to do the conversion?

Incidentally, if the .aiff format matters to you for some reason, you can use a program such as dBPoweramp to 'convert' files to the same format, obviously with different source and destination folders.

Your 'bad karma' comment about MinimServer was not far off the mark, if a little unkind. MinimServer, by design, is rigorously standards-compliant, and is intolerant of errors that other programs let through. Although this can seem like a pain sometimes, it is actually helpful to users, as a MinimServer log without errors is a good indication that there is nothing wrong with your library. Compliance also reaffirms the standards, which we users need for our systems to work at all.

(23-04-2015 07:17)promao Wrote:  A great deal of work ahead if transcoding is the only thing to do...

Not necessarily. The dBPoweramp Batch Converter (free 21 day trial available) could probably convert all your .aiff files in one hit. Then it's just a matter of backing up your source files, to be sure, replacing them in your music library with the converted files, and running a MinimServer rescan.

David
23-04-2015, 09:40 (This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 09:41 by simoncn.)
(23-04-2015 07:17)promao Wrote:  Thank you Simon, ?full? property did nothing, bit "verbose" did show up a lot of "error: undefined end of file on...".

You would get the same error messages without Verbose enabled. The only difference with Verbose is that you get a list of all the folders that are being scanned.

Quote:At least that identifies some errors (or all, now I will have to get these one by one). Funny thing is that all tracks identified play perfectly well in iTunes, and the workaround has been to transcode them in iTunes from .aiff to .aif.

A great deal of work ahead if transcoding is the only thing to do...

P

This is caused by some program writing the "missing" AIFF files in an incorrect format. As DavidHB has said, you can fix this by doing a bulk conversion with dBpoweramp.
24-04-2015, 07:55
David,

thanks for keep helping, obviously the same for Simon!

First of all, bad karma comment not at all intended to be unkind to the program or to anyone! Apologise if it was seen in that way. Like I said, great software and also great support here!

I understand and agree with MS being completely following rules and mercilessly showing up any single tagging problem, or indeed any problem on files tagged.

All conversion ( I stand corrected) was done on iTunes. iTunes works well for me on managing the library. Up to some months ago I was using Amarra+iTunes, recently upgraded to Aries, both streaming from my Synology NAS. I keep using iTunes for library management.

It seems that as mentioned, iTunes itself is less strict in its file analisys, allowing the problematic files to be seen and played.

Now that these files are identified, I am converting them to .AIF. I beats me why a simple conversion seems to eliminate the errors detected, but not going to waste time trying to figure it out.

Hoping that when I get rid of all errors the album count will be the same on MS and iTunes!

Now, if this level of errors ( in my case about 5% of total music) is common, is there already some simpler log option that identifies only the errors found? That would make it really easy to spot. For people with large libraries going through verbose log is less immediate. Just a tought.

Thanks for helping!

Pedro

(23-04-2015 09:15)DavidHB Wrote:  

I'm glad that you've made this progress.

I think that by 'transcoding' you mean 'conversion' (transcoding leaves the original file as it is, but sends the stream to the player in another format; conversion makes a new file in the different format). It is interesting to think why conversion would make the files visible, as MinimServer supports both .aif and .aiff files.

I suspect that the issue is a problem in the .aiff files that conversion has removed. The 'undefined end of file message' suggests that the .aiff files were malformed in some way. Which software did you use to do the conversion?

Incidentally, if the .aiff format matters to you for some reason, you can use a program such as dBPoweramp to 'convert' files to the same format, obviously with different source and destination folders.

Your 'bad karma' comment about MinimServer was not far off the mark, if a little unkind. MinimServer, by design, is rigorously standards-compliant, and is intolerant of errors that other programs let through. Although this can seem like a pain sometimes, it is actually helpful to users, as a MinimServer log without errors is a good indication that there is nothing wrong with your library. Compliance also reaffirms the standards, which we users need for our systems to work at all.

(23-04-2015 07:17)promao Wrote:  A great deal of work ahead if transcoding is the only thing to do...

Not necessarily. The dBPoweramp Batch Converter (free 21 day trial available) could probably convert all your .aiff files in one hit. Then it's just a matter of backing up your source files, to be sure, replacing them in your music library with the converted files, and running a MinimServer rescan.

David