Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running multiple instances MinimServer on QNAP and selectable audio format
27-11-2015, 08:31
RE: Running multiple instances MinimServer on QNAP and selectable audio format
(26-11-2015 21:15)simoncn Wrote:  I understand the value of something like this but it is beyond the scope of MinimServer. The only protocol that MinimServer supports is UPnP and I don't have any plans to change this. This means that you need a UPnP control point and UPnP renderer to play music from your MinimServer library. These do exist for most platforms, so it is possible that you will be able to find a workable solution (or solutions) for what you want to do.

OK, understood. If I'm using Kinsky or Kazoo, what do I do in the control point to determine which stream each renderer uses (assuming I can get Kinsky/Kazoo to talk to non-Linn renderers). And what do I do in the transcoding area of MinimStreamer to set up to additional streams?

If I can't do it in Kinsky/Kazoo, which control points can I use which will implement the function?

R
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2015, 09:45
(27-11-2015 08:31)rweten Wrote:  OK, understood. If I'm using Kinsky or Kazoo, what do I do in the control point to determine which stream each renderer uses (assuming I can get Kinsky/Kazoo to talk to non-Linn renderers). And what do I do in the transcoding area of MinimStreamer to set up to additional streams?

If I can't do it in Kinsky/Kazoo, which control points can I use which will implement the function?

R

The first step is to choose which UPnP renderer you will be using. This will determine which control points you can consider. For example, Kazoo can only control OpenHome renderers. The second step is to decide which device you will use to run the control point. For example, BubbleUPnP is an excellent control point that runs only on Android.

The MinimStreamer transcoding setup for multiple streams is described in this section. The control point asks the renderer what stream types it supports and automatically chooses the first suitable stream.
27-11-2015, 10:10
(27-11-2015 09:45)simoncn Wrote:  The first step is to choose which UPnP renderer you will be using. This will determine which control points you can consider. For example, Kazoo can only control OpenHome renderers. The second step is to decide which device you will use to run the control point. For example, BubbleUPnP is an excellent control point that runs only on Android.

The MinimStreamer transcoding setup for multiple streams is described in this section. The control point asks the renderer what stream types it supports and automatically chooses the first suitable stream.

OK, makes sense and I can live with that quite happily.

I'm struggling a bit to get the multiple streams working in MinimStreamer, though. It doesn't seem to like me trying to create two or more transcoding possibilities for FLAC. Previously I was transcoding flac:wav 24, and I tried to put in flac:wav24, flac:wav16 and got error "Multiple targets for source 'flac', correct highlighted value and retry.

I suspect this means you can't attempt multiple transcoding for a single source file - am I right?

Also I note there is no output type for ALAC or AAC files - would I use dopwav or L16 to provide a stream Apple players can use?

As ever, many thanks for all your help.

R
27-11-2015, 11:18
(27-11-2015 10:10)rweten Wrote:  OK, makes sense and I can live with that quite happily.

I'm struggling a bit to get the multiple streams working in MinimStreamer, though. It doesn't seem to like me trying to create two or more transcoding possibilities for FLAC. Previously I was transcoding flac:wav 24, and I tried to put in flac:wav24, flac:wav16 and got error "Multiple targets for source 'flac', correct highlighted value and retry.

I suspect this means you can't attempt multiple transcoding for a single source file - am I right?

Also I note there is no output type for ALAC or AAC files - would I use dopwav or L16 to provide a stream Apple players can use?

As ever, many thanks for all your help.

R

The syntax for multiple outputs is input:output1/output2/etc. The order of outputs is significant because the control point will use the first compatible output.

Which Apple device and UPnP renderer do you want to use? I would expect that this would be able to play WAV streams. You won't be able to use dopwav unless you are playing DSD audio (DSF or DFF files).

You could consider converting your library from FLAC to ALAC. Both formats are lossless, so you won't lose any information. This should make it simpler to play your files on both Apple and non-Apple devices.
28-11-2015, 13:55
Thanks for that. The syntax works fine. As a thought for you, you might want to look at the transcoding section on the MinimServer site, as that implies the syntax should be input:output1, output 2, etc rather than input: output1/output2 etc.

I haven't had any joy in getting WAV to work on my iPad yet. I'm trying to use an iPad2 using Plugplayer as the control point. Plugplayer also offers the option of rendering back to the device itself, which means I can happily listen to music off my server when I'm reading in bed at night!

This used to work OK before I started using transcoding, which is perhaps surprising as the core source is FLAC files. It's possible the renderer implementation in Plugplayer (at least I assume that's where the implementation is done) only works with FLAC, I guess. But I've tried with syntax flac:wav24/wav16 and that has not worked.

Appreciate the thought about going to ALAC; it's something I have toyed with in the past. I might set up a test MinimServer implementation on my PC and see how I get along trying to serve things from a small ALAC set.

R
28-11-2015, 13:59
(28-11-2015 13:55)rweten Wrote:  Thanks for that. The syntax works fine. As a thought for you, you might want to look at the transcoding section on the MinimStreamer site, as that implies the syntax should be input:output1, output 2, etc rather than input: output1/output2 etc.

I haven't had any joy in getting WAV to work on my iPad yet. I'm trying to use an iPad2 using Plugplayer as the control point. Plugplayer also offers the option of rendering back to the device itself, which means I can happily listen to music off my server when I'm reading in bed at night!

This used to work OK before I started using transcoding, which is perhaps surprising as the core source is FLAC files. It's possible the renderer implementation in Plugplayer (at least I assume that's where the implementation is done) only works with FLAC, I guess. But I've tried with syntax flac:wav24/wav16 and that has not worked.

Appreciate the thought about going to ALAC; it's something I have toyed with in the past. I might set up a test MinimServer implementation on my PC and see how I get along trying to serve things from a small ALAC set.

R
28-11-2015, 19:14
(28-11-2015 13:55)rweten Wrote:  Thanks for that. The syntax works fine. As a thought for you, you might want to look at the transcoding section on the MinimServer site, as that implies the syntax should be input:output1, output 2, etc rather than input: output1/output2 etc.

Where does it imply that? Here is the first part of the relevant paragraph (near the end of the section):

For any input type, you can specify a list of output types by separating the output types with / (slash) characters. For example, the transcoding combination flac:L16/wav24 specifies the output types L16 and wav24 for the input type flac.
28-11-2015, 21:12
Apologies, Simon, I got that wrong. I was reading about separating different stream types:

"You can specify multiple transcoding specifications separated by commas. For example, to transcode Apple Lossless (ALAC) files to 24-bit WAV output and also transcode ADTS network streams to MP3 output, you would use the transcoding specification alac:wav24, aac:mp3."

I should have read more carefully!

R
29-11-2015, 09:05
Hi

I'm sure a lot of people using minimserver have the same issue of having hi res audio files, but some renderers that don't support hi res. I have a Cyrus streamer that does and a Roberts radio that doesn't. My simple and non techie answer is to buy a hi res album and then create a second transcoded version (use DB Poweramp). All the hi res are marked as such and I use hi res as a genre, then I select the album dependent on where I am streaming it to. I know technically its not ideal and it requires plenty of storage but it works fine for me.

Rob

Streaming from a Synology 1511+ to a Cyrus Stream XP2 QX, 2x Roberts 93i, A Revo Superconnect, a Mede8er 600 3D and a few Squeezeboxes thrown in!
01-12-2015, 11:58
(29-11-2015 09:05)robt Wrote:  Hi

I'm sure a lot of people using minimserver have the same issue of having hi res audio files, but some renderers that don't support hi res. I have a Cyrus streamer that does and a Roberts radio that doesn't. My simple and non techie answer is to buy a hi res album and then create a second transcoded version (use DB Poweramp). All the hi res are marked as such and I use hi res as a genre, then I select the album dependent on where I am streaming it to. I know technically its not ideal and it requires plenty of storage but it works fine for me.

Rob

Yes, this is a viable work-around. I could live with it, but the other less technical people in the house will no doubt struggle as I will get things like "it's not exactly intuitive" and "this looks like it's been designed by a bloke".

I'm going to have a crack at getting the MP3 output to work, but I need to understand how the stream.converter property is used.

WAV is now working on non hi-res on iPads and iPhones, using Plugplayer. Hi-res recordings still seem to elude it. If I can get a MP3 output to work that might crack it.

R