Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running multiple instances MinimServer on QNAP and selectable audio format
17-04-2015, 13:32
Running multiple instances MinimServer on QNAP and selectable audio format
I have two questions,

1. Can i run multiple instances of MinimServer on a QNAP x86 (TS253 pro)?
2. Is it possible to have MinimServer scanning only e.g. MP3 or FLAC? Because I would like to have all audio formats in the same folders, but my renderers have different capacity and running their own instance of MinimServer. I know I can use folder view, but the i see the same music double when i have two formats in one folder.

I hope my question/request makes sense.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2015, 13:47
RE: Running multiple instances MinimServer on QNAP and selectable audio format
(17-04-2015 13:32)jvilly Wrote:  I have two questions,

1. Can i run multiple instances of MinimServer on a QNAP x86 (TS253 pro)?

This isn't possible for any QNAP model.

Quote:2. Is it possible to have MinimServer scanning only e.g. MP3 or FLAC? Because I would like to have all audio formats in the same folders, but my renderers have different capacity and running their own instance of MinimServer. I know I can use folder view, but the i see the same music double when i have two formats in one folder.

I hope my question/request makes sense.

At the moment, this isn't possible. I am thinking about adding support for an "exclude pattern" that could be used to exclude certain filenames from being scanned.
17-04-2015, 13:54
Thanks Simon,

The first feature on the QNAP, I just figured out what could be a solution. As the newer QNAP servers are capable of running Virtual Machine (with Windows or Linux) then you could run several instances of MinimServer, one on the OS from QNAP and on the VMs. The number of VMs is depending on your RAM size.

The second one, in my view could really be usefull, also at this stage there are not many applications/DLNA servers that do this.
17-04-2015, 14:12 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 14:15 by simoncn.)
(17-04-2015 13:54)jvilly Wrote:  Thanks Simon,

The first feature on the QNAP, I just figured out what could be a solution. As the newer QNAP servers are capable of running Virtual Machine (with Windows or Linux) then you could run several instances of MinimServer, one on the OS from QNAP and on the VMs. The number of VMs is depending on your RAM size.

Does the virtual machine look exactly like another QNAP from a MinimServer perspective? If so, this is a great feature!

Edit: I read your post again and it appears the VM would look like a generic Linux machine rather than another QNAP. If so, the Linux x86 installation package for MinimServer should work. I''d be interested to hear whether this can be configured successfully for automatic startup using the minimserver/bin/setup command.

Quote:The second one, in my view could really be usefull, also at this stage there are not many applications/DLNA servers that do this.

Thanks for the positive feedback on this idea.
17-04-2015, 22:53 (This post was last modified: 17-04-2015 22:56 by audio_elf.)
(17-04-2015 13:47)simoncn Wrote:  At the moment, this isn't possible. I am thinking about adding support for an "exclude pattern" that could be used to exclude certain filenames from being scanned.
Would it be a doable thing to exclude (for example) automatically
01_Some_Album_-_Some_Track.mp3
when there is also in existence
01_Some_Album_-_Some_Track.flac

I guess you would need a list of file types to scan by priority?

Eloise
17-04-2015, 23:15
(17-04-2015 22:53)audio_elf Wrote:  Would it be a doable thing to exclude (for example) automatically
01_Some_Album_-_Some_Track.mp3
when there is also in existence
01_Some_Album_-_Some_Track.flac

I guess you would need a list of file types to scan by priority?

Eloise

This wouldn't be possible. The exclude pattern would look at each filename individually and would not be able to consider other files that have been scanned.
26-11-2015, 13:29
Simon - greetings and I hope you are well?

I assume that the point about not being able to run multiple instances on a QNAP also applies to ReadyNAS devices.

I've read a few threads on here about supporting multiple instances. My requirement is really quite straightforward and I wonder if it might be possible to achieve it without a major development?

My current MinimServer/MinimStreamer set-up is configured to support Linn renderers. The data is stored as FLAC files and I use MinimStreamer to transcode the files to WAV24 as I find this gives the best SQ.

The problem this gives is that I have plenty of other devices wanting to access the server, but unable to use WAV24. For example iPads, Macs, PCs.

I can work around this by putting up a separate physical device (I have an older ReadyNAS kicking around), but that gives me the problem of maintaining the data files between the two. Alternatively I can implement a different server on the main ReadyNAS but this seems a pretty awful approach.

Is there any way I can work with MinimServer to give me a high res and a lower res stream from the NAS?

Thanks,
Richard
26-11-2015, 17:20
(26-11-2015 13:29)rweten Wrote:  Simon - greetings and I hope you are well?

I assume that the point about not being able to run multiple instances on a QNAP also applies to ReadyNAS devices.

I've read a few threads on here about supporting multiple instances. My requirement is really quite straightforward and I wonder if it might be possible to achieve it without a major development?

My current MinimServer/MinimStreamer set-up is configured to support Linn renderers. The data is stored as FLAC files and I use MinimStreamer to transcode the files to WAV24 as I find this gives the best SQ.

The problem this gives is that I have plenty of other devices wanting to access the server, but unable to use WAV24. For example iPads, Macs, PCs.

I can work around this by putting up a separate physical device (I have an older ReadyNAS kicking around), but that gives me the problem of maintaining the data files between the two. Alternatively I can implement a different server on the main ReadyNAS but this seems a pretty awful approach.

Is there any way I can work with MinimServer to give me a high res and a lower res stream from the NAS?

Thanks,
Richard

There is a good chance that you will be able to do what you want without needing multiple instances. The stream.transcode property allows you to set multiple output stream types. The UPnP control point can choose from these stream types based on what it knows about the capabilities of the renderer. Which UPnP control point(s) are you using to control playback to these other renderers?
26-11-2015, 20:03 (This post was last modified: 26-11-2015 20:12 by rweten.)
(26-11-2015 17:20)simoncn Wrote:  There is a good chance that you will be able to do what you want without needing multiple instances. The stream.transcode property allows you to set multiple output stream types. The UPnP control point can choose from these stream types based on what it knows about the capabilities of the renderer. Which UPnP control point(s) are you using to control playback to these other renderers?

Simon, I'm normally using Kinsky/Kazoo as the control point, though I do have things like Chorus, Songbook, Plugplayer around too. If I should consider other control points to be able to implement this function, please let me know what they are.

The thing I would most like to implement is a server that can be accessed via PCs and Macs. Not necessarily via a control point, but so iTunes and MonkeyMedia applications can see the server and play tracks, playlists etc from it, most typically at resolutions below WAV24. ALAC16 and AAC(320kb) would be ideal? That would also allow me to play music from the server on iPads and iPhones, too.

Richard

PS I did once implement something similar by running a Firefly server over the files; this happily transcoded so that iTunes could play quite happily. The main problem was that things like artwork were not included, and only some of the tagging was carried across. Firefly is not being developed, of course - I think the last release was about 2009!
26-11-2015, 21:15
(26-11-2015 20:03)rweten Wrote:  Simon, I'm normally using Kinsky/Kazoo as the control point, though I do have things like Chorus, Songbook, Plugplayer around too. If I should consider other control points to be able to implement this function, please let me know what they are.

The thing I would most like to implement is a server that can be accessed via PCs and Macs. Not necessarily via a control point, but so iTunes and MonkeyMedia applications can see the server and play tracks, playlists etc from it, most typically at resolutions below WAV24. ALAC16 and AAC(320kb) would be ideal? That would also allow me to play music from the server on iPads and iPhones, too.

Richard

PS I did once implement something similar by running a Firefly server over the files; this happily transcoded so that iTunes could play quite happily. The main problem was that things like artwork were not included, and only some of the tagging was carried across. Firefly is not being developed, of course - I think the last release was about 2009!

I understand the value of something like this but it is beyond the scope of MinimServer. The only protocol that MinimServer supports is UPnP and I don't have any plans to change this. This means that you need a UPnP control point and UPnP renderer to play music from your MinimServer library. These do exist for most platforms, so it is possible that you will be able to find a workable solution (or solutions) for what you want to do.