Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Artist tag
12-04-2015, 18:00
Artist tag
Hello

After a mediocre experience with Synology's media server I'm now trying MinimServer, and so far so good.

I like the idea of the Artist tag using AlbumArtist if present, and using Artist when not present. However I would prefer it if multiple artists in the Artist tag were separated like they are in All Artists.

I don't intend to use All Artists much as I have a lot of Various albums, where I'm not interested in seeing all the individual artists. I have the AlbumArtist tag for these as Various, so they appear under Artist as Various.

Where I have albums by two prominent artists, such as "Brian Eno\\Jon Hassell", I'd like to leave AlbumArtist blank and have these listed under Artist separately as in All Artists, and not as "Brian Eno & Jon Hassell".

Can this be done?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 20:09
RE: Artist tag
(12-04-2015 18:00)Bird201 Wrote:  Where I have albums by two prominent artists, such as "Brian Eno\\Jon Hassell", I'd like to leave AlbumArtist blank and have these listed under Artist separately as in All Artists, and not as "Brian Eno & Jon Hassell".

Can this be done?

Yes, it can, because MinimServer supports multiple Artist (but not multiple AlbumArtist) tags. But your tagging program (a) must support multiple tags of a single type and (b) should tell you how to create those multiple entries. And your Control Point will need to understand the information it gets from MinimServer and present it correctly.

In MP3Tag (probably the most capable tagging program for Windows, and the one that I use), entering your "Brian Eno\\Jon Hassell" in the Artist field will create two separate Artist tags, which will be separately indexed in MinimServer. I also believe (from the unintended consequences of tags written by my CD ripper) that MP3 treats a semicolon as a tag separator, in the same way as the '\\'.

How these multiple artist entries are presented and interpreted by your Control Point will depend on the Control Point, of course. In my experience, Control Points which present the indexes in the form ion which they come from MinimServer will provide the multiple entries you require. The way in which they present the Artist information in any 'now playing' screen or window may vary, however.

I hope that this is helpful.

David
12-04-2015, 21:19
Thanks for replying.

I have entered them in the Artist tag using mp3tag with a double backslash (\\), and they are appearing as separate artists in "All Artists", but not in "Artist" which is what I'm looking for. They appear in Artist as "Brian Eno & Jon Hassell".
12-04-2015, 23:10
(12-04-2015 21:19)Bird201 Wrote:  I have entered them in the Artist tag using mp3tag with a double backslash (\\), and they are appearing as separate artists in "All Artists", but not in "Artist" which is what I'm looking for. They appear in Artist as "Brian Eno & Jon Hassell".

When you say "they appear", this is presumably in your Control Point. Which Control Point application are you using? And do you have an Artist.display.multiTag setting in your TagCustom property?

This is what this page of the MinimServer User Guide says about display.multiTag:

"If this setting is disabled (the default value) and there are multiple values for the same audio file tag (such as Artist or Genre), these values are combined and sent to the control point as a single XML tag. The contents of this XML tag can be customized using the displayFormat setting of the tagFormat property (see the Tag formatting section).

If this setting is enabled and there are multiple values for the same audio file tag (such as Artist or Genre), these values are sent to the control point as separate XML tags. This setting is useful for control points that can handle multiple XML tags of the same type, such as the LUMIN app. In this case, the displayFormat setting of the tagFormat property can't be used for this audio tag."

Enabling display.mutiTag may give you what you require. But, as the User Guide makes clear, your Control Point does need to be able to handle multiple Artist tags.

David
13-04-2015, 09:21
(12-04-2015 23:10)DavidHB Wrote:  When you say "they appear", this is presumably in your Control Point. Which Control Point application are you using? And do you have an Artist.display.multiTag setting in your TagCustom property?

I believe the OP is referring to the list of artists under the Artist index. This isn't affected by the Artist.display.multiTag setting.
13-04-2015, 09:49
(12-04-2015 21:19)Bird201 Wrote:  I have entered them in the Artist tag using mp3tag with a double backslash (\\), and they are appearing as separate artists in "All Artists", but not in "Artist" which is what I'm looking for. They appear in Artist as "Brian Eno & Jon Hassell".

Do you want to do this for all albums that have multiple Artist tags and no AlbumArtist tag? If so, it might be possible to add a new option to Artist.indexFormat to control this.
13-04-2015, 11:31
(13-04-2015 09:21)simoncn Wrote:  I believe the OP is referring to the list of artists under the Artist index. This isn't affected by the Artist.display.multiTag setting.

Thank you for this correction. I have re-read the section on display.multiTag in the User Guide, and can still see why I assumed that the setting would affect the Artist index. When the Guide says "values are sent to the control point as separate XML tags", which displays (in a compliant Control Point) are affected?

I think that the new option in .indexFormat which you have suggested would be a helpful addition for many users. Personally, with a mainly classical music collection, I find the combination of artists associated with a particular album to be most informative, and so rarely use multiple artist tags, but I can see that others would take a different view.

David
13-04-2015, 12:56
(13-04-2015 11:31)DavidHB Wrote:  Thank you for this correction. I have re-read the section on display.multiTag in the User Guide, and can still see why I assumed that the setting would affect the Artist index. When the Guide says "values are sent to the control point as separate XML tags", which displays (in a compliant Control Point) are affected?

I have added a few words to this section in an attempt to clarify this.
13-04-2015, 13:27
(13-04-2015 09:21)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 23:10)DavidHB Wrote:  When you say "they appear", this is presumably in your Control Point. Which Control Point application are you using? And do you have an Artist.display.multiTag setting in your TagCustom property?

I believe the OP is referring to the list of artists under the Artist index. This isn't affected by the Artist.display.multiTag setting.

Yes I'm referring to the list of artists that appear on the Naim n-stream app under Artist, sorry for not referring to this as an index.
13-04-2015, 13:32
(13-04-2015 09:49)simoncn Wrote:  

Do you want to do this for all albums that have multiple Artist tags and no AlbumArtist tag? If so, it might be possible to add a new option to Artist.indexFormat to control this.

Yes that sounds great, exactly what I am looking for! A donation is pending Smile