Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Sub)Folder View
06-04-2015, 22:08
(Sub)Folder View
Hello Simon,

I've just re-read the user guide in search for a way of "tweaking" Folder View a bit but didn't come across any evident way of doing it, so I'm suggesting a feature that, if it is of easy implementation to you, I'd rather appreciate seeing it as an option in a future version of MinimServer.

What I'd like to be able to do was to have a Folder View option that would group all the content of the contentDirs. That is to say, my current folder structure is something like:

music/ambient/Artist1/Album/Tracks
music/ambient/Artist2/Album/Tracks
music/classical/Artist3/Album/tracks
music/rock/Artist4/Album/tracks
music/rock/Artist5/Album/tracks

And what I'd like to do was to either:
a) add to contentDir music/ambient, music/classical and music/rock
b) add to contentDir music/ with a "jump 1 level down" definition

so that the Folder View display was:
Artist1/...
Artist2/...
Artist3/...
Artist4/...
Artist5/...

Similar to the Artists view using when using tag based listing.

Your logical question will probably be why not just use the Artists view? Well, my tags are still far from properly curated, but my folder structure is precisely as I'd like to navigate through my collection. I started ripping my collection before DLNA/UPnP was common so tagging wasn't my main concern, and a good part of my collection (classical specially) is still a good mess when it comes to tag consistency, hence why I mostly always navigate by folder view, which was actually one of the factors that made me change to minimserver as my DLNA/UPnP server, being able to navigate by folder.
The first software I used to navigate my collection (and that I still use for when I'm outside home) was Subsonic and it allows for that kind of folder navigation where it merges all the "root" directories content into a single listing if you select that option, so I kept my folder structure perfect (for me at least) and would love to be able to use it with minimserver as well.

This might not be of interest to many other people, so i totally understand if you fail to see the value on it.

Cheers,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2015, 08:57
RE: (Sub)Folder View
The implementation of folder view in MinimServer is closely linked to the physical folder structure and it would be difficult to make the change you have suggested. Also, there are difficulties such as how to handle the same subfolder name appearing under more than one content directory.

Do you need the subfolders 'ambient', 'classical' and 'rock' underneath 'music'? An alternative solution would be to eliminate this level in your folder structure.
07-04-2015, 22:00
(07-04-2015 08:57)simoncn Wrote:  The implementation of folder view in MinimServer is closely linked to the physical folder structure and it would be difficult to make the change you have suggested. Also, there are difficulties such as how to handle the same subfolder name appearing under more than one content directory.

No problems. Thanks for answering it. Shy

Quote:Do you need the subfolders 'ambient', 'classical' and 'rock' underneath 'music'? An alternative solution would be to eliminate this level in your folder structure.

Kind of, yes. Those folders are actually mountpoints for different disks that I've placed under /music so I can just share a single location to monitor on contentDir.
08-04-2015, 18:29
I would welcome the ability to completely turn off the folder view. I don't want my folder structure on display to any one who plays music on my system.

Is this a possible option please, in a future release?

Jim.
08-04-2015, 19:58
(08-04-2015 18:29)JimR Wrote:  I would welcome the ability to completely turn off the folder view. I don't want my folder structure on display to any one who plays music on my system.

Is this a possible option please, in a future release?

Jim.

I am aware that some people don't want this and I hope to be able to provide an option to suppress it in the future.
08-04-2015, 19:59
While it's slightly bothersome, you may find your best option is to use something like MP3Tag which will allow you to convert the folder structure into tags quite easily.