Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimserver help for dummy!
01-04-2015, 10:11
Minimserver help for dummy!
I have successfully installed Minimserver on to a Windows XP laptop with freshly installed Java 7. I have created the text file (using the downloaded sample) in notepad using ANSI. I have added minimstreamer to the package. I have established the laptop IP address and entered the URL for Radio 2 in the recommended format (http://***.***.*.**:9790/minimstreamer/*/R2 in to the servers for my three internet radios (Frontier, vTuner and Reciva) as My streams or added stations. The laptop is connected by LAN to my router. Two radios show "Cannot Play" and the Reciva one will not connect.

The log shows the following report after trying all three radios:

sending HTTP response '404 Not Found: Unknown stream identifier 'R2'' to request 'GET /minimstreamer/*/R2'
sending HTTP response '404 Not Found: Unknown stream identifier 'R2'' to request 'GET /minimstreamer/*/R2'
sending HTTP response '404 Not Found: Unknown stream identifier 'R2'' to request 'HEAD /minimstreamer/*/R2'
sending HTTP response '404 Not Found: Unknown stream identifier 'R2'' to request 'HEAD /minimstreamer/*/R2'

Can anyone please help with getting this to work?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 13:25
RE: Minimserver help for dummy!
(01-04-2015 10:11)kjbuk Wrote:  I have successfully installed Minimserver on to a Windows XP laptop with freshly installed Java 7. I have created the text file (using the downloaded sample) in notepad using ANSI. I have added minimstreamer to the package. I have established the laptop IP address and entered the URL for Radio 2 in the recommended format (http://***.***.*.**:9790/minimstreamer/*/R2 in to the servers for my three internet radios (Frontier, vTuner and Reciva) as My streams or added stations. The laptop is connected by LAN to my router. Two radios show "Cannot Play" and the Reciva one will not connect.

The log shows the following report after trying all three radios:

Can anyone please help with getting this to work?

You need to follow the instructions on this page. It sounds like you might have omitted steps 2, 3 and the last part of 4.
01-04-2015, 14:56
Thanks Simon. The only thing I had missed was the content directory setting which I think is C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\BBC Radio

I'm still getting the same result and log report.
01-04-2015, 15:38
(01-04-2015 14:56)kjbuk Wrote:  Thanks Simon. The only thing I had missed was the content directory setting which I think is C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\BBC Radio

I'm still getting the same result and log report.

Did you put the .m3u file in your content directory? Is the file extension .m3u? Did you make sure the .m3u file is a plain text file? When you start MinimServer (before you play the stream), are there any error messages in the log?
03-04-2015, 15:02 (This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 18:27 by kjbuk.)
Finally got it to work thanks Simon. I downloaded the sample file again and saved it as a different text file using OpenOffice. When I renamed it as BBC Radio
.m3u it became a music file and I can now receive successfully through internet radio Frontier and vTuner.

UPnP also works ok with my Onkyo amp but my Roberts 83i sees the file as BBC Radio and then declares it to be empty.

My Reciva radio won't play it at all even though it will display the station via Reciva and also detect via UPnp. In both cases it just hangs at "connecting". The log says "HTTP source: byte-range request could not be satisfied" Any ideas on these please?

One other point: I find that the streams seem very unstable. Although they are constant and the sound quality is good they seem very unstable with constant spitting and spluttering and pops sufficient to knock back the volume on my amp momentarily. It really spoils the listening experience.

Is it just my set up or has anyone else noticed this?
04-04-2015, 19:47
(03-04-2015 15:02)kjbuk Wrote:  Finally got it to work thanks Simon. I downloaded the sample file again and saved it as a different text file using OpenOffice. When I renamed it as BBC Radio.m3u it became a music file and I can now receive successfully through internet radio Frontier and vTuner.

UPnP also works ok with my Onkyo amp but my Roberts 83i sees the file as BBC Radio and then declares it to be empty.

You could try adding *:L16 to the stream.transcode property. After doing this, power the Roberts off and on.

Quote:My Reciva radio won't play it at all even though it will display the station via Reciva and also detect via UPnp. In both cases it just hangs at "connecting". The log says "HTTP source: byte-range request could not be satisfied" Any ideas on these please?

The Reciva is sending a byte-range request for the radio stream. This would be OK for a local file but isn't compatible with network streaming.

Quote:One other point: I find that the streams seem very unstable. Although they are constant and the sound quality is good they seem very unstable with constant spitting and spluttering and pops sufficient to knock back the volume on my amp momentarily. It really spoils the listening experience.

Is it just my set up or has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't experienced this. Does it happen with all players?
11-04-2015, 10:43 (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015 12:22 by kjbuk.)
Here are my observations after installing ffmpeg (using *:L16 as *:L24 will not work for Roberts or Olympia radios).

Onkyo receiver via vTuner: intermittent crashes in left, right and centre channels.
Onkyo receiver via DNLA recoded to PCM: clean but audio slowed down like a record at the wrong speed. Removing *:L16 prevents decoding and the result is the same as via vTuner. (What is the quality loss suffered by converting to PCM?)
LAN via TP Link mains distribution

Roberts 83i via Frontier: clean
Roberts 83i via Shared Media recoded to PCM: clean but audio slowed down like a record at the wrong speed.
via wireless

Olympia 100 via Reciva: reads station but hangs on connecting.
Olympia 100 via UPnP server: reads playlist but hangs on connecting.
LAN via TP Link mains distribution
13-04-2015, 16:34
Simon, following my previous post I've installed Minimserver on my main pc running Windows 7 32-bit and with the latest Java installed and no ffmpeg. A quick test on R4 reveals that I am getting the same intermittent popping and crackling as via my laptop.

I'm so close to getting this to work satisfactorily and I would forgo the UPnP function on the other radios (which require a stream converter) if I could just get a nice clean listen on my Onkyo. I would then also be happy to make a donation.

Am I right in thinking that the Reciva radio is never going to play the streams?
13-04-2015, 17:54
(13-04-2015 16:34)kjbuk Wrote:  Simon, following my previous post I've installed Minimserver on my main pc running Windows 7 32-bit and with the latest Java installed and no ffmpeg. A quick test on R4 reveals that I am getting the same intermittent popping and crackling as via my laptop.

I presume this problem is with the Onkyo and the Roberts is playing OK. Is this correct?

Quote:I'm so close to getting this to work satisfactorily and I would forgo the UPnP function on the other radios (which require a stream converter) if I could just get a nice clean listen on my Onkyo. I would then also be happy to make a donation.

I haven't experienced this problem and I don't know what would cause it. If it is caused by a buffering issue within the Onkyo, you might be able to work around it by setting the stream.options property to delayHLS=20 (see this section). If this doesn't fix it, I don't have any other suggestions.

Quote:Am I right in thinking that the Reciva radio is never going to play the streams?

This isn't possible unless there is some way to prevent the radio from sending byte-range requests. I am surprised that the radio would do this if it has been told to play a stream that you have entered as a custom radio station URL. Perhaps you could contact the radio manufacturer for advice.
14-04-2015, 10:08
Yes, the Roberts works cleanly and the Onkyo doesn't. On the basis that it is not a buffering issue and that the Roberts is connecting by wi-fi and the Onkyo is on the mains distributed LAN, I decided to try the Onkyo by wi-fi. Guess what? It worked! I really don't understand why as I have no trouble with other internet stations using mains LAN. However I have now got a clean sound on the main hi-fi apart from the odd little spit which occurs on the Shoutcast stream anyway.

Using *:L16 to get decoded PCM UPnP on the Roberts still slows the audio down on both radios. Do you know of a cure for this?

The Olympia radio via Reciva seems to be a hopeless case as the radio manufacturers in Germany will not support it any longer.

I will make a donation today.