Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPLAYStreamer(JPLAY6 RC1)/MinimServer/BubbleUPnP
28-03-2015, 16:23
RE: JPLAYStreamer(JPLAY6 RC1)/MinimServer/BubbleUPnP
(28-03-2015 16:10)JazzDoc Wrote:  I could ask for a replacement I guess but I had these problems with the old BT HomeHub 3. In view of the fact that I am running HomeHub 4 on 2.4GHz, would it make a difference

You have said that you set the channel to 6 manually and after a few hours there was no signal on channel 6. If this is correct, the Home Hub is faulty because it should continue to transmit on channel 6 indefinitely.

Is there anything else in your network (e.g., routers, switches, wireless access points or HomePlugs) that might be relevant to the problem?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2015, 17:07
By Homeplug, do you mean what I call Powerline? If so, my son has one that runs from a socket adjacent to the router to a socket in his room upstairs. His computer connects on this rather than through WiFi. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing else that is relevant to the problem.

Perhaps I haven't explained the channel thing too well. When I use WiFi Analyzer on my Android tablet to identify the best channel. It will invariably tell me that another channel would be best. As soon as I switch to that channel, then it becomes the least preferable and more often than not, the channel that I just changed from become the new recommendation by WiFi Analyzer
28-03-2015, 18:26
(28-03-2015 17:07)JazzDoc Wrote:  By Homeplug, do you mean what I call Powerline? If so, my son has one that runs from a socket adjacent to the router to a socket in his room upstairs. His computer connects on this rather than through WiFi. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing else that is relevant to the problem.

Yes, HomePlug == Powerline. This could possibly be related to the problem. If the advice below doesn't fix the problem, we might need to revisit this.

Quote:Perhaps I haven't explained the channel thing too well. When I use WiFi Analyzer on my Android tablet to identify the best channel. It will invariably tell me that another channel would be best. As soon as I switch to that channel, then it becomes the least preferable and more often than not, the channel that I just changed from become the new recommendation by WiFi Analyzer

This behaviour is expected because the Home Hub is now transmitting on the selected channel, so WiFi Analyzer considers it unfavourable because it is currently in use.

You need to power off the Home Hub before running WiFi Analyzer. When you have done this, choose the recommended channel and set this manually in the Home Hub. Then leave the Home Hub running on that channel and don't run WiFi Analyzer any more.
28-03-2015, 22:57
(28-03-2015 18:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 17:07)JazzDoc Wrote:  By Homeplug, do you mean what I call Powerline? If so, my son has one that runs from a socket adjacent to the router to a socket in his room upstairs. His computer connects on this rather than through WiFi. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing else that is relevant to the problem.

Yes, HomePlug == Powerline. This could possibly be related to the problem. If the advice below doesn't fix the problem, we might need to revisit this.

Quote:Perhaps I haven't explained the channel thing too well. When I use WiFi Analyzer on my Android tablet to identify the best channel. It will invariably tell me that another channel would be best. As soon as I switch to that channel, then it becomes the least preferable and more often than not, the channel that I just changed from become the new recommendation by WiFi Analyzer

This behaviour is expected because the Home Hub is now transmitting on the selected channel, so WiFi Analyzer considers it unfavourable because it is currently in use.

You need to power off the Home Hub before running WiFi Analyzer. When you have done this, choose the recommended channel and set this manually in the Home Hub. Then leave the Home Hub running on that channel and don't run WiFi Analyzer any more.

Thanks for explaining that. I'll know how to use WiFi Analyzer correctly now.

Here's a strange thing ... I have been working in my home office all day and decided to take a break at around 5:00 p.m. I thought I would make sure that BT had not sent me a faulty HomeHub 4 so I went back to my HomeHub 3. I also removed all connections, cleaned the sockets and plugs (They were pretty dusty) and replaced the lead that goes from my wall socket to the router. I don't know why I did this ... This brand new lead originally supplied with my HomeHub3 was there so I figured I would use it.

The strange this is that I started a trial playback at 5:40 p.m. I have played albums continuously since then and my system has worked faultlessly. It's done this before of course the failed to work reliably the next day but this is the best listening session I have achieved. Surely that new BT HomeHub 4 or a duff or dirty lead wasn't the problem?
30-03-2015, 11:20
Still working two days later!