Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPLAYStreamer(JPLAY6 RC1)/MinimServer/BubbleUPnP
27-03-2015, 19:27
RE: JPLAYStreamer(JPLAY6 RC1)/MinimServer/BubbleUPnP
Sorry Simon. I made a typo in the last line. It should have read ...

"Am I right in assuming that to connect at 5GHz would be the best option ... but not with the BT Home Hub 4?"

The question I guess I was asking is "Is BT Home Hub 4 a piece of s*** and should I get rid of it?" (LOL)

I have now disabled 5GHz capability on my router. Channel 1 looks congested when I run WiFi Analyzer on my Android tablet so I will try with the channel fixed on 6. Having disabled 5GHz capability, everything will not run on 2.4GHz. My laptop running JPLAYStreamer/MinimServer is connected to my network via Ethernet.

I forgot to mention that although my files are stored in FLAC format, I am using flac:wav in the stream.transcode line under the System tab

Back to the drawing board
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2015, 20:26 (This post was last modified: 27-03-2015 20:27 by simoncn.)
(27-03-2015 19:27)JazzDoc Wrote:  Sorry Simon. I made a typo in the last line. It should have read ...

"Am I right in assuming that to connect at 5GHz would be the best option ... but not with the BT Home Hub 4?"

The question I guess I was asking is "Is BT Home Hub 4 a piece of s*** and should I get rid of it?" (LOL)

I don't have one of these (despite being continually bombarded with BT mailshots offering their lowest price ever). Based on what I have heard about them, I don't regret that decision.

You could add another wireless access point that supports the 5 GHz band without issues and connect this to your Home Hub using wired Ethernet. If you decide to do this, you could use the 5 GHz band for audio only and use the 2.4 GHz band for other network traffic.

Quote:I have now disabled 5GHz capability on my router. Channel 1 looks congested when I run WiFi Analyzer on my Android tablet so I will try with the channel fixed on 6. Having disabled 5GHz capability, everything will not run on 2.4GHz. My laptop running JPLAYStreamer/MinimServer is connected to my network via Ethernet.

I forgot to mention that although my files are stored in FLAC format, I am using flac:wav in the stream.transcode line under the System tab

Back to the drawing board

Transcoding FLAC to WAV will put a bit of extra load on your network because the WAV stream is uncompressed. You need to do this because JPLAYStreamer is limited to playing WAV streams only.
27-03-2015, 20:53
What might be a good replacement for my BT HomeHub 4? Any recommendations?
27-03-2015, 22:58
(27-03-2015 20:53)JazzDoc Wrote:  What might be a good replacement for my BT HomeHub 4? Any recommendations?

I wan't suggesting completely replacing your Home Hub, only the 5 GHz wireless portion. Standalone wireless access points are hard to find these days but you could look at wireless routers from Linksys, NETGEAR, Draytek, Zyxel and TP-LINK that enable you to disable the router functions and use the device as a wireless access point.

Before you do this, I suggest you run the Home Hub in 2.4 GHz mode on an uncongested channel for a few days and see whether this works well enough to meet your needs.
28-03-2015, 00:14 (This post was last modified: 28-03-2015 00:24 by JazzDoc.)
I fancied some background music while I was working. Chose an album, pressed the Play button and away we go ... No Now Playing screen. Then it display details of ... an album I played 48 hours ago. Looks like it's not flushing old information. It had also put the tracks from that old played album into the playlist but selecting one of the playlist tracks did not get it played. Then I pressed the stop button and realised I had no control whatsoever. Playback continued and five minutes later it stopped all by itself.
28-03-2015, 00:26
(27-03-2015 22:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 20:53)JazzDoc Wrote:  What might be a good replacement for my BT HomeHub 4? Any recommendations?

Before you do this, I suggest you run the Home Hub in 2.4 GHz mode on an uncongested channel for a few days and see whether this works well enough to meet your needs.

The problem seems to be that I can't find an uncongested channel. This afternoon I was running of channel 6. Eight hours later channel 6 appears to have no signal at all! The best channeil is constantly changing. Let's try going back to automatic channel selection to see if that makes any difference.
28-03-2015, 08:43 (This post was last modified: 28-03-2015 08:43 by simoncn.)
(28-03-2015 00:26)JazzDoc Wrote:  The problem seems to be that I can't find an uncongested channel. This afternoon I was running of channel 6. Eight hours later channel 6 appears to have no signal at all! The best channeil is constantly changing. Let's try going back to automatic channel selection to see if that makes any difference.

If you have manually set channel 6 and channel 6 is no longer broadcasting, it sounds like your Home Hub is faulty.
28-03-2015, 13:44
My hub was replaced only last week. Prior to that I was using a BTHome Hub 3. This was a single band router (2.4GHz only). I was advised to get a dual band router and run everything on 5GHz. It appears that this advice may not have been entirely correct.

A member of the JPLAY Forum has suggested that the problems may be due to the fact that I am using external USB rather than NAS drives. Perhaps this is possible. If I transferred say, 50 albums (16/44) to a new directory on the root drive of my laptop, specified this drive as the catalogue in MinimServer and still experienced the same problems, that would presumably rule out the USB drive theory?
28-03-2015, 15:28
(28-03-2015 13:44)JazzDoc Wrote:  My hub was replaced only last week. Prior to that I was using a BTHome Hub 3. This was a single band router (2.4GHz only). I was advised to get a dual band router and run everything on 5GHz. It appears that this advice may not have been entirely correct.

A member of the JPLAY Forum has suggested that the problems may be due to the fact that I am using external USB rather than NAS drives. Perhaps this is possible. If I transferred say, 50 albums (16/44) to a new directory on the root drive of my laptop, specified this drive as the catalogue in MinimServer and still experienced the same problems, that would presumably rule out the USB drive theory?

There is no reason why you should have network problems when using USB drives. You can try this but I don't think it is likely to make any difference.

It is possible that the new hub that you received is faulty. I think it would make sense to contact BT and ask for a replacement.
28-03-2015, 16:10
I could ask for a replacement I guess but I had these problems with the old BT HomeHub 3. In view of the fact that I am running HomeHub 4 on 2.4GHz, would it make a difference