Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanning, Tagging, and Filenames
18-03-2015, 21:34 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 21:50 by GuyBooth.)
Scanning, Tagging, and Filenames
Hello!

My setup is minimserver on Synology DS414
The "Renderer" is a Marantz 1504 with a hardwire internet connection.

In my attempts to write my own Control Point to run on an Android device I have had inconsistent results when my system plays multiple tracks.
The essential approach is to load a track in the CurrentURI, start playing it, then load the next track into the NextURI. No metadata is loaded, and loading is simply telling the Renderer the name of the file and its path name.

On two occasions now I have had glorious continuous gapless playback for a whole album. Sadly I have also had playback that stops after one track, and "Next" tracks that have taken several seconds to load. And I have had all three types of result on the same album on different days.

My questions relate firstly to minimservers scanning and indexing:
1. How long does it typically take to scan say 10,000 files spread over 3 folders?
2. How do i know when it has finished scanning?
3. Some of my flac files in particular are not tagged, but I actually have no need of tags at all. If the tagging is haphazard, will it effect how the files are streamed to the Renderer?

I am contemplating retagging all my files with two entries - part of the track name as an "Album" tag, which will have the format "PG_NNNNNNNNNN", and the track number. This will serve my needs, but no point in doing this if it won't solve my problems!

Any insight would be appreciated!
Guy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2015, 23:13
RE: Scanning, Tagging, and Filenames
(18-03-2015 21:34)GuyBooth Wrote:  Hello!

In my attempts to write my own Control Point to run on an Android device I have had inconsistent results when my system plays multiple tracks.
The essential approach is to load a track in the CurrentURI, start playing it, then load the next track into the NextURI. No metadata is loaded, and loading is simply telling the Renderer the name of the file and its path name.

On two occasions now I have had glorious continuous gapless playback for a whole album. Sadly I have also had playback that stops after one track, and "Next" tracks that have taken several seconds to load. And I have had all three types of result on the same album on different days.

1. How long does it typically take to scan say 10,000 files spread over 3 folders?

This depends on many factors such as CPU speed, disk speed and how the disk is attached (local, USB or network share). You will need to measure this in your own environment.

Quote:2. How do i know when it has finished scanning?

The minim icon in MinimWatch will change from yellow to green (transparent on a Mac).

Quote:3. Some of my flac files in particular are not tagged, but I actually have no need of tags at all. If the tagging is haphazard, will it effect how the files are streamed to the Renderer?

Unless you're using transcoding, all files are streamed exactly as they are on disk, with or without any tags or album art. The renderer must expect this and allow for embedded tags and/or artwork.

Quote:I am contemplating retagging all my files with two entries - part of the track name as an "Album" tag, which will have the format "PG_NNNNNNNNNN", and the track number. This will serve my needs, but no point in doing this if it won't solve my problems!

Guy

You can do this if you want but I'm surprised that you need it. Other control points seem to be able to play a "queue" of multiple tracks with no need for special tagging.
18-03-2015, 23:17
(18-03-2015 23:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-03-2015 21:34)GuyBooth Wrote:  Hello!

This depends on many factors such as CPU speed, disk speed and how the disk is attached (local, USB or network share). You will need to measure this in your own environment.

Quote:2. How do i know when it has finished scanning?

The minim icon in MinimWatch will change from yellow to green (transparent on a Mac).

Quote:3. Some of my flac files in particular are not tagged, but I actually have no need of tags at all. If the tagging is haphazard, will it effect how the files are streamed to the Renderer?

Unless you're using transcoding, all files are streamed exactly as they are on disk, with or without any tags or album art. The renderer must expect this and allow for embedded tags and/or artwork.

Quote:I am contemplating retagging all my files with two entries - part of the track name as an "Album" tag, which will have the format "PG_NNNNNNNNNN", and the track number. This will serve my needs, but no point in doing this if it won't solve my problems!

Guy

You can do this if you want but I'm surprised that you need it. Other control points seem to be able to play a "queue" of multiple tracks with no need for special tagging.
18-03-2015, 23:22
Thanks Simon. I guess I was surprised at how quickly the scanning was completed (probably only a minute or so, I didn't time it). The system is clean and the disks are all internal.
I have no idea what reputation the Marantz has for how well it handles streaming, but I will run some more tests now I have rescanned everything.
Not sure if forcing the files through the minimstreamer would help - does it still treat all tracks as individual files? So I would have the renderer request them in the same way?
Guy
18-03-2015, 23:30
(18-03-2015 23:22)GuyBooth Wrote:  Thanks Simon. I guess I was surprised at how quickly the scanning was completed (probably only a minute or so, I didn't time it). The system is clean and the disks are all internal.
I have no idea what reputation the Marantz has for how well it handles streaming, but I will run some more tests now I have rescanned everything.
Not sure if forcing the files through the minimstreamer would help - does it still treat all tracks as individual files? So I would have the renderer request them in the same way?
Guy

Yes, each track will still be sent individually but in a transcoded format. The renderer shouldn't be aware that transcoding is happening.