Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryston Renderer and OpenHome
03-09-2015, 15:14
RE: Bryston Renderer and OpenHome
(03-09-2015 10:49)lwxian Wrote:  ...

Yes BDP-2 is a superior streamer especially with the new upgraded audio card. It is a powerful DLNA renderer that could playback transcoded wav/24 from minim server (transcoded wav via minim server sound better than flac as original source). BDP-2 comes with 2 x giga network lan, no problem playing 192/24 transcoded wav from flac.

Pros... the best audio I have heard so far.. huge sound stage and clear details.

FWIW, I have a Bryston BDP-1 (original version w/ sound ESI Juli@ sound card) and I agree with all of the above. The sound is stunning running BNC S/PDIF out into my Rega DAC.

Oh, and I also have no problems playing back transcoded WAV 192/24 via MinimStreamer over a Wi-Fi bridge into a 100 Mbps connection (which is all the BDP-1 supports).

Bryston uses the re-booted GMediaStreamer open source for UPnP playback, which flawlessly handles gapless playback.

But, to be hones, I have disabled this component in my player and exclusively use MPD and a locally USB-attached SSD drive with my library. It just sounds better ... way better. As always, YMMV.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 15:54
(03-09-2015 15:14)krutsch Wrote:  FWIW, I have a Bryston BDP-1 (original version w/ sound ESI Juli@ sound card) and I agree with all of the above. The sound is stunning running BNC S/PDIF out into my Rega DAC.

Oh, and I also have no problems playing back transcoded WAV 192/24 via MinimStreamer over a Wi-Fi bridge into a 100 Mbps connection (which is all the BDP-1 supports).

Bryston uses the re-booted GMediaStreamer open source for UPnP playback, which flawlessly handles gapless playback.

But, to be hones, I have disabled this component in my player and exclusively use MPD and a locally USB-attached SSD drive with my library. It just sounds better ... way better. As always, YMMV.

What hardware are you using to run MPD? Are you sending the output from MPD directly into your DAC (using USB?) without using the BDP-1? I am interested to know more about a setup that plays music "way better" than "stunning". Smile
03-09-2015, 22:54
(03-09-2015 15:14)krutsch Wrote:  Bryston uses the re-booted GMediaStreamer open source for UPnP playback, which flawlessly handles gapless playback.
Is this definitive (that it uses GMediaStreamer) ... I assumed the UPnP functionality was provided by MPD?
03-09-2015, 22:57 (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 22:57 by audio_elf.)
(03-09-2015 15:54)simoncn Wrote:  What hardware are you using to run MPD? Are you sending the output from MPD directly into your DAC (using USB?) without using the BDP-1? I am interested to know more about a setup that plays music "way better" than "stunning". Smile
I assume krutsch meant MPD on the Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston's original functionality was as a MPD based player).
04-09-2015, 04:13
(03-09-2015 11:38)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 10:49)lwxian Wrote:  I hope my reply is not too late.... just upgraded to BDP-2 with the new IAD card (The New Bryston Card that make leap jump in Audio Quality) from Moon Mind 180 streaming from Minim Server with transcode of flac to wav/24.

Yes BDP-2 is a superior streamer especially with the new upgraded audio card. It is a powerful DLNA renderer that could playback transcoded wav/24 from minim server (transcoded wav via minim server sound better than flac as original source). BDP-2 comes with 2 x giga network lan, no problem playing 192/24 transcoded wav from flac.

Pros... the best audio I have heard so far.. huge sound stage and clear details. BDP-2 brings out more details than Moon Mind 180. Compatible with free dlna control point app like m.connect and able to perform audio control like adjust volume, change tracks on lock screen of ipad and iphone.

Cons... waiting time for boot up... takes even longer than the boot up of a Audio Research Tube preamp... but the audio rendered is worth the wait.

Leong

I believe the BDP-2 requires an external DAC. Which DAC are you using?

BDA-1.
04-09-2015, 04:19
(03-09-2015 15:14)krutsch Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 10:49)lwxian Wrote:  ...

Pros... the best audio I have heard so far.. huge sound stage and clear details.

FWIW, I have a Bryston BDP-1 (original version w/ sound ESI Juli@ sound card) and I agree with all of the above. The sound is stunning running BNC S/PDIF out into my Rega DAC.

Oh... may I know what file format are you playing back from the USB-attached SSD drive? Is it flac? I have compared between MPD reading flac 16bit from NAS and DLNA renderer reading trancoded wav 24bit from the same flac 16bit file via minim server. The trancoded wav 24bit seems to sound better than the flac original file read from MPD.

Can MPD server add the minim server transcoded wav 24bit into its library? Just curious on your configuration that achieve sounds that is way better via MPD.

Thanks!
04-09-2015, 11:40
(03-09-2015 22:57)audio_elf Wrote:  I assume krutsch meant MPD on the Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston's original functionality was as a MPD based player).

Thanks! It's interesting that eliminating network streaming improves the sound significantly.
06-09-2015, 15:57
(03-09-2015 22:57)audio_elf Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 15:54)simoncn Wrote:  What hardware are you using to run MPD? Are you sending the output from MPD directly into your DAC (using USB?) without using the BDP-1? I am interested to know more about a setup that plays music "way better" than "stunning". Smile
I assume krutsch meant MPD on the Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston's original functionality was as a MPD based player).

Sorry... I mis-typed. The BDP-1 uses GMediaRender for DLNA playback. MPD is used for locally accessed content and for TIDAL playback, optionally.
06-09-2015, 16:00
(04-09-2015 11:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(03-09-2015 22:57)audio_elf Wrote:  I assume krutsch meant MPD on the Bryston BDP-1 (Bryston's original functionality was as a MPD based player).

Thanks! It's interesting that eliminating network streaming improves the sound significantly.

Honestly, I don't know if that's the case; I anecdotally believe the difference has more to do with MPD vs. GMediaRender, as opposed to the source of the audio data.

I have read comments on other forums questioning the sound quality of GMediaRender. I've never looked at the code for either component, so I wouldn't be able to hazard a guess as to why.