Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryston Renderer and OpenHome
16-03-2015, 06:07
Bryston Renderer and OpenHome
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Bryston digital players (BDP-1, BDP-1 USB or BDP-2) function as OpenHome compatible renderers?

Just window shopping for a replacement renderer and the Bryston units look interesting.

Thanks, in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2015, 18:56
RE: Bryston Renderer and OpenHome
The Bryston documentation claims DLNA/UPnP compatibility (which could mean a number of things), but does not mention OpenHome. That does not surprise me, as, other than Linn (who developed it), not many manufacturers use the OpenHome standard. I believe it is possble to use Bubble UPnP Server to add the OpenHome extensions to the UPnP renderer's capabilities, but I have not done this myself.

What the UPnP compatibility actually provides in terms of features can vary between players. For instance, I would not assume that gapless playback is implemented, and the lack of it can be very irritating with some kinds of music.

David
17-03-2015, 22:08
(17-03-2015 18:56)DavidHB Wrote:  The Bryston documentation claims DLNA/UPnP compatibility (which could mean a number of things), but does not mention OpenHome. That does not surprise me, as, other than Linn (who developed it), not many manufacturers use the OpenHome standard. I believe it is possble to use Bubble UPnP Server to add the OpenHome extensions to the UPnP renderer's capabilities, but I have not done this myself.

What the UPnP compatibility actually provides in terms of features can vary between players. For instance, I would not assume that gapless playback is implemented, and the lack of it can be very irritating with some kinds of music.

David

Thanks, David, for your reply. Sounds like my second question has been answered, as well, which is I won't necessarily hear gapless playback with BubbleUPnP with the Bryston players.

I've read that the new Denon (and I assume Marantz?) network players DO provide gapless playback with BubbleUPnP; it looks like Denon is bypassing the US market for their players, so I am now looking at one of the new Marantz units.
18-03-2015, 12:30
(17-03-2015 22:08)krutsch Wrote:  Thanks, David, for your reply. Sounds like my second question has been answered, as well, which is I won't necessarily hear gapless playback with BubbleUPnP with the Bryston players.

Firstly, I don't know whether or not the Bryston devices do gapless playback; it's not mentioned in their documentation, and manufacturers often claim this as a special feature when they do implement it. I always think that this is a bit ironic; LPs and CDs had gapless playback from the outset ...

My understanding (which is, as I explained, only theoretical) is that Bubble UPnP Server essentially acts as a bridge between your existing server and the renderer, and so adds the OpenHome extensions to any UPnP renderer. The Linn payers I use have OpenHome built in (and, as I understand it, use it to provide gapless playback), so I have never had to use Bubble UPnP Server.

It is a pity that it is so difficult to find out what the capabilities of UPnP devices actually are. Sometimes it seems that manufacturers are more anxious to hide the failings of their products than to tell us clearly what they can do.

David
18-03-2015, 17:18
(18-03-2015 12:30)DavidHB Wrote:  
(17-03-2015 22:08)krutsch Wrote:  Thanks, David, for your reply. Sounds like my second question has been answered, as well, which is I won't necessarily hear gapless playback with BubbleUPnP with the Bryston players.

Firstly, I don't know whether or not the Bryston devices do gapless playback; it's not mentioned in their documentation, and manufacturers often claim this as a special feature when they do implement it. I always think that this is a bit ironic; LPs and CDs had gapless playback from the outset ...

My understanding (which is, as I explained, only theoretical) is that Bubble UPnP Server essentially acts as a bridge between your existing server and the renderer, and so adds the OpenHome extensions to any UPnP renderer. The Linn payers I use have OpenHome built in (and, as I understand it, use it to provide gapless playback), so I have never had to use Bubble UPnP Server.

It is a pity that it is so difficult to find out what the capabilities of UPnP devices actually are. Sometimes it seems that manufacturers are more anxious to hide the failings of their products than to tell us clearly what they can do.

David
Bryston does mention gapless playback in their brochure

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/brochures/BDP...OCHURE.pdf

I don't know whether gapless playback is only possible using a specific (Bryston?) app.

Peter.
18-03-2015, 17:30 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2015 17:36 by DavidHB.)
(18-03-2015 17:18)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Bryston does mention gapless playback in their brochure

Yes it does, but it doesn't say whether it is implemented in the UPnP/streaming capability, or only in the USB/local play part of the product. It is possible to have the one without the other. Brochures so often don't tell you what you actually want to know ...

That said, Bryston's concept of a web-based control app. sounds like a very attractive method of providing multi-platform control capability.

David
18-03-2015, 18:36
(18-03-2015 17:18)Peter StreamMagic Wrote:  Bryston does mention gapless playback in their brochure

I don't know whether gapless playback is only possible using a specific (Bryston?) app.

Peter.

Thanks, Peter. I have read their documentation and was really asking for feedback from MinimServer users that actually own a Bryston.

Maybe I should consider a StreamMagic 6 V2; my understanding is that device *will* work with BubbleUPnP's control point and MinimServer to provide gapless playback.
18-03-2015, 21:13
(18-03-2015 18:36)krutsch Wrote:  

Peter.

Thanks, Peter. I have read their documentation and was really asking for feedback from MinimServer users that actually own a Bryston.

Maybe I should consider a StreamMagic 6 V2; my understanding is that device *will* work with BubbleUPnP's control point and MinimServer to provide gapless playback.

I fully understand and I hope there is a forum member owning a Bryston who can can tell us all about the pros and cons of this equipment.
Now it is just guessing and it seems like it is stated the Bryston (unless mentioned in their brochure)is not fully capable to provide gapless playback.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Make a deal with a dealer,listen and play with it for a week or so.
May be your overwhelmed by the the sound,it might also be disappointing.
You are talking about serious money in this case,worth doing some serious listening/testing before purchase!
You might also consider the new Cambridge Audio 851N http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/n.../azur-851n or the new CX series streamers.
I do own a SM6(V1) a streamer that was supposed to be non gapless for a while and enjoy listening to this affordable streamer every day.
To be honest also this piece of machinery has some negative issues, but also a lot of positive features, so I can live with it!

Kind Regards,

Peter.
03-09-2015, 10:49
[/quote]

I fully understand and I hope there is a forum member owning a Bryston who can can tell us all about the pros and cons of this equipment.
Now it is just guessing and it seems like it is stated the Bryston (unless mentioned in their brochure)is not fully capable to provide gapless playback.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Make a deal with a dealer,listen and play with it for a week or so.
May be your overwhelmed by the the sound,it might also be disappointing.
You are talking about serious money in this case,worth doing some serious listening/testing before purchase!
You might also consider the new Cambridge Audio 851N http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/n.../azur-851n or the new CX series streamers.
I do own a SM6(V1) a streamer that was supposed to be non gapless for a while and enjoy listening to this affordable streamer every day.
To be honest also this piece of machinery has some negative issues, but also a lot of positive features, so I can live with it!

Kind Regards,

Peter.
[/quote]

I hope my reply is not too late.... just upgraded to BDP-2 with the new IAD card (The New Bryston Card that make leap jump in Audio Quality) from Moon Mind 180 streaming from Minim Server with transcode of flac to wav/24.

Yes BDP-2 is a superior streamer especially with the new upgraded audio card. It is a powerful DLNA renderer that could playback transcoded wav/24 from minim server (transcoded wav via minim server sound better than flac as original source). BDP-2 comes with 2 x giga network lan, no problem playing 192/24 transcoded wav from flac.

Pros... the best audio I have heard so far.. huge sound stage and clear details. BDP-2 brings out more details than Moon Mind 180. Compatible with free dlna control point app like m.connect and able to perform audio control like adjust volume, change tracks on lock screen of ipad and iphone.

Cons... waiting time for boot up... takes even longer than the boot up of a Audio Research Tube preamp... but the audio rendered is worth the wait.

Leong
03-09-2015, 11:38
(03-09-2015 10:49)lwxian Wrote:  I hope my reply is not too late.... just upgraded to BDP-2 with the new IAD card (The New Bryston Card that make leap jump in Audio Quality) from Moon Mind 180 streaming from Minim Server with transcode of flac to wav/24.

Yes BDP-2 is a superior streamer especially with the new upgraded audio card. It is a powerful DLNA renderer that could playback transcoded wav/24 from minim server (transcoded wav via minim server sound better than flac as original source). BDP-2 comes with 2 x giga network lan, no problem playing 192/24 transcoded wav from flac.

Pros... the best audio I have heard so far.. huge sound stage and clear details. BDP-2 brings out more details than Moon Mind 180. Compatible with free dlna control point app like m.connect and able to perform audio control like adjust volume, change tracks on lock screen of ipad and iphone.

Cons... waiting time for boot up... takes even longer than the boot up of a Audio Research Tube preamp... but the audio rendered is worth the wait.

Leong

I believe the BDP-2 requires an external DAC. Which DAC are you using?