Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
14-03-2015, 14:04
RE: Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
(14-03-2015 13:49)simoncn Wrote:  
(14-03-2015 13:30)qblack Wrote:  That's right: I installed Apple's Java and could run all Adobe products as normal again. In the past I have noticed an Apple-generated dialog advising that Java was required before Photoshop/Illustrator, etc. could launch. After I installed the Oracle Java, I could not launch Adobe products but there was also no warning, as in former days. It was an entry in the Console (can't remember what now) that made me look to Java and reminded me of the old connection. By the way, Oracle's website does instruct one to uninstall old versions of Java before installing new, which is what I did.

I rechecked the Oracle install page for Java on Mac and I didn't see anything there about needing to uninstall Apple Java first. The situation regarding coexistence of Apple Java and Oracle Java seems somewhat confused. In any case, I'm pleased you've found a way to make it work.

From https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml
[I read Apple's version of Java as being one of these 'older' versions (1.6 as against Oracle's 1.7 or 1.8)]
========
Is it safe to install previous or older versions of Java?

Oracle highly discourages users from using older versions of Java. Installing old and supported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk. Upgrading to the latest version of Java ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system. You can confirm that you have the latest version on the verification page. If installing an older version of Java is absolutely required, you must first uninstall the current version. See the instructions on the Mac uninstall Java FAQ.
=========

…so I uninstalled Java 8 (1.8) that I had installed for Minimwatch. You have since clarified that we can have two versions installed side by side. As you say, all good now!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2015, 14:11
RE: Minimwatch, Java Runtime and Adobe Photoshop
(14-03-2015 14:04)qblack Wrote:  From https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml
[I read Apple's version of Java as being one of these 'older' versions (1.6 as against Oracle's 1.7 or 1.8)]
========
Is it safe to install previous or older versions of Java?

Oracle highly discourages users from using older versions of Java. Installing old and supported versions of Java on your system presents a serious security risk. Upgrading to the latest version of Java ensures that Java applications will run with the most up-to-date security and performance improvements on your system. You can confirm that you have the latest version on the verification page. If installing an older version of Java is absolutely required, you must first uninstall the current version. See the instructions on the Mac uninstall Java FAQ.
=========

…so I uninstalled Java 8 (1.8) that I had installed for Minimwatch. You have since clarified that we can have two versions installed side by side. As you say, all good now!

Thanks for this. I didn't realise that Oracle is saying you can't have both versions installed at the same time (fortunately not correct).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply