Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimStreamer on Raspberry Pi Fast Forward Screaming Sound on HLS
10-03-2015, 14:45
MinimStreamer on Raspberry Pi Fast Forward Screaming Sound on HLS
One for Simon. The Raspberry Pi is installed via Ethernet cable and Denon DNP720AE via Ethernet again into the router. Whilst I don't have any problems at home playing the HLS streams running over reliable fast cable broadband at 50, on this ADSL setup running at 8 or so I do get an audible effect if one uses the Android tablet or a laptop over the ADSL network.

Whilst I get complaints that "my" equipment causes havoc on their network. You might get a break in normal internet radio, a blip if I load up a web page, now this blip has turned into a screeching sound of fast-forward on speech, like a tape deck edit being spun. Is it between the Raspberry and the HLS data stream or is it between the Raspberry and the internet radio. The internet radio buffer stays at a reliable 100 percent although noted that this moves about initially which I assumed was a flow control thing you had put in alluded to on a thread. The buffer on the Raspberry Minim software I haven't touched and is at default.

It will be a couple of weeks till I can test out alternatives any ideas ?. I suspect that you may or may not recognise the sound effect that I've described which I've never heard myself before when things go wrong on internet radio. I suspect you are going to say increase the MinimStreamer buffer ?. Other than that the sound quality was very good between these events when the data traffic wasn't disturbed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2015, 15:01
RE: MinimStreamer on Raspberry Pi Fast Forward Screaming Sound on HLS
(10-03-2015 14:45)Tell Wrote:  One for Simon. The Raspberry Pi is installed via Ethernet cable and Denon DNP720AE via Ethernet again into the router. Whilst I don't have any problems at home playing the HLS streams running over reliable fast cable broadband at 50, on this ADSL setup running at 8 or so I do get an audible effect if one uses the Android tablet or a laptop over the ADSL network.

Whilst I get complaints that "my" equipment causes havoc on their network. You might get a break in normal internet radio, a blip if I load up a web page, now this blip has turned into a screeching sound of fast-forward on speech, like a tape deck edit being spun. Is it between the Raspberry and the HLS data stream or is it between the Raspberry and the internet radio. The internet radio buffer stays at a reliable 100 percent although noted that this moves about initially which I assumed was a flow control thing you had put in alluded to on a thread. The buffer on the Raspberry Minim software I haven't touched and is at default.

It will be a couple of weeks till I can test out alternatives any ideas ?. I suspect that you may or may not recognise the sound effect that I've described which I've never heard myself before when things go wrong on internet radio. I suspect you are going to say increase the MinimStreamer buffer ?. Other than that the sound quality was very good between these events when the data traffic wasn't disturbed.

I don't recognise this problem. My setup is a 6 Mbps broadband connection and I have never heard anything like you are describing. If the buffer should empty for any reason, I hear silence untill the data starts flowing again.

I suggest you keep the MinimServer log window open and set the logging level to Debug. When the problems are happening, do you notice any unusual messages in the log?

As the current code is working well for other users, I would not wish to change any buffering settings unless there is evidence that the current settings are causing this problem. From what you have said, it seems more likely that there is some issue with your network, router or ADSL connection. The HLS stream requires only 320 kbps which should be no problem if all network components are working correctly.
10-03-2015, 19:40
Simon, I will do the logging in a couple of weeks time when I'm next over but I'll have a watching brief of whether it occurs again in the meantime. The ADSL is TalkTalk based. My Linksys router which I wouldn't expect to be problematic although as said the internet radio when playing normal internet radio does take a hit sometimes (before the BBC put in the problematic MP3 streams as a stop gap) due to other internet traffic like browsing but I was hoping that the buffering in MinimServer and the radio would handle that. Although I don't hold up much hope of any internet problems being resolved the other side of the Open Reach box to TalkTalk that just use it as a cash cow for £50 call out charges to fix clicking lines that are clearly down to them but never the less say not and whop it on the bill. It's not clicking at the minute thou.

I'm thinking that the issue is around buffering of the HLS since the fast rewind / catch up sound is going to be around the packages assembled via the HLS system rather than buffering so perhaps the fix is to use that field you have already provided. Like the sound is one produced by fast forwarding to make up lost time as passages of spoken word are gabbled ! - you would know it if you heard it before. I'll run the report last weekend in the month, won't tax the partner with Linux and plugging cables in. I'm sure I'll hear of any issues in the meantime.

Thanks.
10-03-2015, 22:45
(10-03-2015 19:40)Tell Wrote:  Simon, I will do the logging in a couple of weeks time when I'm next over but I'll have a watching brief of whether it occurs again in the meantime. The ADSL is TalkTalk based. My Linksys router which I wouldn't expect to be problematic although as said the internet radio when playing normal internet radio does take a hit sometimes (before the BBC put in the problematic MP3 streams as a stop gap) due to other internet traffic like browsing but I was hoping that the buffering in MinimServer and the radio would handle that. Although I don't hold up much hope of any internet problems being resolved the other side of the Open Reach box to TalkTalk that just use it as a cash cow for £50 call out charges to fix clicking lines that are clearly down to them but never the less say not and whop it on the bill. It's not clicking at the minute thou.

I'm thinking that the issue is around buffering of the HLS since the fast rewind / catch up sound is going to be around the packages assembled via the HLS system rather than buffering so perhaps the fix is to use that field you have already provided. Like the sound is one produced by fast forwarding to make up lost time as passages of spoken word are gabbled ! - you would know it if you heard it before. I'll run the report last weekend in the month, won't tax the partner with Linux and plugging cables in. I'm sure I'll hear of any issues in the meantime.

Thanks.

If you are referring to the delayHLS setting, I don't think that will make any difference, but you can try it.

MinimStreamer doesn't attempt to make up lost time, so I don't think that's what you are hearing.

Perhaps the log data will provide some clues about the cause.
11-03-2015, 18:21
I will attempt to record that sound for you after I record the log in a couple of weeks time although I did hear reports today of it playing up with and without the internet being used (morning and afternoon) so it may be well be duff TalkTalk internet service - not impressed.

If you do come up with a solution to my Humax problem let me know since I sense from reading other posts people have similar equipment that attempts to connect in a similar manner. You would think that you could interface with some delay approach. Still looking like a cat prowling for a lost mouse.
11-03-2015, 19:55
(11-03-2015 18:21)Tell Wrote:  I will attempt to record that sound for you after I record the log in a couple of weeks time although I did hear reports today of it playing up with and without the internet being used (morning and afternoon) so it may be well be duff TalkTalk internet service - not impressed.

If you do come up with a solution to my Humax problem let me know since I sense from reading other posts people have similar equipment that attempts to connect in a similar manner. You would think that you could interface with some delay approach. Still looking like a cat prowling for a lost mouse.

I have been thinking about "making up lost time". MinimServer doesn't do this but the player might do it after a network interruption that causes packets to be delayed. If this is what's happening, you might find that adding delayHLS=20 to stream.options is helpful.

I don't think there is any prospect of solving the Humax problem with byte-range requests.
12-03-2015, 00:19
Simon

Thanks I will give that ago. A period recording the log and then with the adjustment and recording the log.

I did buy another Raspberry Pi for experiment - "the development machine" in the lingo of the past, just need the machine room, the false floor and the air conditioning put in...
20-04-2015, 19:46
Simon the delayHLS=20 parameter fixed it so it's been working without the periodic fast forward sound effect for the last 10 or so days. I also tried the aac:l16 transcode and that actually sounded worse to me than leaving the Denon to do it's own AAC decoding so went back.

Minimwatch is impressive to do these maintenance functions. So thanks very much for your help and indeed software for which I did make a donation.